Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

drive belt shredded

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

drive belt shredded Empty
PostSubject: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm

I was doing my 32,000 mile check list last week. I put on new front and rear
tires, brake pads, new oil filter and oil, etc. When i was at the Honda shop
buying all the stuff i asked for a new belt, but they didn't have one in stock.
So i did all the rest of the 32k list and went for a ride. I was doing 70 MPH
and the rear wheel lock up for a instant and then the bike freed wheeled. I
immediately new that the belt broke.
Below is a picture of the totally shattered and shredded belt.

http://paulscooter.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=48133453
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:06 am

Paul,
Thanks for sharing. There have been a number of sites indicating the "danger" of a belt break. You have proved my theory that the belt will merely fall apart. How did you get the bike home?
>> Dennis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 am

I had my original belt from my 16k tune up and went home to get it and changed it on the side of the road. Then i just drove it home. I ordered a honda original equipment belt last week and it should be here monday.
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Awesome!! Just pull everything apart along side the road. Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Oh, I would have purchased the Mitsuboshi Kevlar Belt from Scooter Trap.com. I understand it has moe kevlar in it and is therefore much stronger. Do a search and decide for yourself.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 am

Paul,

It's good you weren't injured during this. That belt really shredded and I bet you were surprised when you saw if for the first time. It is pretty cool just changing out the belt at the side of the road too. Do you know if it was an OEM belt or another type? I have the Mitshibishi and it has about 13,000 miles on it but when I installed my Dr Pulley sliders it still looked brand new. I will measure it the next time I open it up. Also, did you notice your rpm's increasing at all? I've read that the rpms' will increase when the belt starts to stretch. Thanks for sharing this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Paul your the man. Changed the belt on the side of the road. I want even attempt to change mine out at home. I have 15,500 miles on mine and talked to the dealer last week. OEM belt cost 138 dollars and they want 75 dollars to change it. I am going to order one this coming week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 pm

I thougth the belt just snapped, but when i saw it i couldn't believe it at first. There was little pieces of belt and wool like cords all over the inside. At the most it took me 1/2 hour to put my old spare belt on it while i was at the side of the road.
When i got it home i took it back apart and spent a couple of hours cleaning it up. The pulleys had many black marks from the belt. No, i didn't notice any RPM change until the belt broke.

JeffR wrote:
Paul,

It's good you weren't injured during this. That belt really shredded and I bet you were surprised when you saw if for the first time. It is pretty cool just changing out the belt at the side of the road too. Do you know if it was an OEM belt or another type? I have the Mitshibishi and it has about 13,000 miles on it but when I installed my Dr Pulley sliders it still looked brand new. I will measure it the next time I open it up. Also, did you notice your rpm's increasing at all? I've read that the rpms' will increase when the belt starts to stretch. Thanks for sharing this.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 12:14 am

fournbt wrote:
OEM belt cost 138 dollars

http://www.partspitstop.com 23100-MCT-003 $101.39 + shipping

fournbt wrote:
they want 75 dollars to change it.

If you want to drive your SWing to Georgetown, Texas ... I can replace the belt for a lot less Razz ... a Sonic Route 44 Fresh Lime Slush. pirat
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 am

Glad to hear your ok.......try contacting Honda and telling them what happened you never know might get someone nice on the end of the phone and get it done out of good will (tell them it could have killed you)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drive belt shredded   drive belt shredded I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

drive belt shredded
Page 1 of 1