Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AF214 Mount

Go down 
+2
NWSSC
Cosmic_Jumper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 am

I bought a used Givi Air Flow windscreen however the instructions indicate that I should be using some sort of a mounting bracket.

The windshield mounts in the same location as the OEM screen, blah..blah..blah. So why the need for the additional mounting bracket? It seems to be only a bracket which fits under the windscreen and under the Garnish panel, not some sort of support brace. What does it do? What is the risk of not having that bracket?

Also I've seen reports of the top half of the Air Flow coming off at speed. Is there something that can be done about that -aside from insuring that the clamps are tight? I emailed Givi regarding that problem and they've denied any knowledge of it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi Tim. It has been quite some time since I instilled a optional windshield but there is a location for a another bracket for more support for a larger windscreen.I believe the area is threaded but the front cover must be drilled out to access the threads.Do you have the bracket? I believe it is short but with a couple of bends.If you have the bracket it will give you some idea where to drill out the cover. I'm sure some one will come up with a picture. It is not that difficult and the option probably is up to the individual.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for your reply Howard. Unfortunately I don't have the brackets. I just looked at JeffR's tutorial and saw the installation step about those brackets. I'll have to order the D214KIT from Givi, but their photo only shows the brackets and hex bolts.

Some of the kits for other bikes seem to have actual brace rods going from the lower windscreen to the meter cover.

I'm concerned about the top half coming off when I'm zipping my way across North Dakota though affraid 

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 pm

I have two Silverwings both have AF214 windscreens one has the bracket installed and the other one doesn't. I've probably put 35,000 to 40,000 miles the one without the bracket and never had a problem with it. And it is the one I use for all my long and highway miles. So you can buy the kit if it will give you comfort but I would not bother. It's your bike so definitely do what makes you comfortable after all you have to ride it and if you're not comfortable the ride's not fun.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Also I've seen reports of the top half of the Air Flow coming off at speed. Is there something that can be done about that -aside from insuring that the clamps are tight? I emailed Givi regarding that problem and they've denied any knowledge of it.

You've seen reports of the top half of the Airflow coming off at speed, oh dear that's awful where did you read that ?   scratch 
Back to top Go down
flavioguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-06-28

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:13 am

I just installed this windscreen two weeks ago and did have the brackets. It does seem to provide some additional support but it is not that drastic. Installation instructions also specify some drilling. I was not willing to do that....seemed extreme.

As per the instructions and pics kindly provided on this forum, push very gently when tightening down the 6 screws. Those rubber grommets can disappear quickly into never-never land. Also something I learned with my previous scoot, cover any and all openings around the windscreen area when working (rags/socks, whatever). Dropping a screw or anything small is rarely retrievable once it falls into the "headlight/cowl" area.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:35 am

The only drilling is through the very thin plastic which masks the captive nuts, one either side.
As has been said elsewhere on the forum it is quite possible to break through/drill the holes with a sharpish drill-bit held in the hand. Certainly, if one uses a mechanical drill, a minimum of pressure is required.
Someone (can't remember who) suggested recently that it was also possible to melt a hole through using a soldering iron.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 pm

MikeO wrote:
Someone (can't remember who) suggested recently that it was also possible to melt a hole through using a soldering iron.

It was a bloke on the Muppets forum who's never had a Silver Wing.  Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Givi AF214 Mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Mount   Givi AF214 Mount I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AF214 Mount
Page 1 of 1