Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bovingdon Tank Museum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Bovingdon Tank Museum Empty
PostSubject: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

Had a lovely day out at Bovingdon Tank Museum. I went in the car as I had arranged to take a chap who lives in my flats and who has no transport of his own.

Like so many museums it's been updated since my last visit - 20 years ago - and is first-class.

There's a huge range of tanks, other tracked military vehicles, wheeled armoured cars, anti-tank guns and so on. There's even one of those German tracked motorcycles.

Naturally, most of the vehicles are from Great Britain, the United States and Russia but there are a few French and Swedish ones.

They have examples of the very first tank ever built (apart from the one designed by Leonardo Da Vinci and there's a life-size wooden model of that!) right through to the very latest although I don't think there's the latest Abrams one on display. Most of the vehicles are in running order and every afternoon there's a half-hour display of a selection in the outdoor arena.
They even have a working life-size model of a WW1 tank which was made for the film 'War Horse'. It trundled round, surprising the watchers with very loud 'bangs' and bright flashes from its guns.

I chose lots of 'favourites': I'm a great fan of half- and three-quarter-track vehicles and there's an American one of the first and a German one of the second there and also armoured cars including a classic Rolls-Royce one.

If you're every in the vicinity with time to spare it really is worthwhile.

http://www.tankmuseum.org/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bovington+tank+museum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZJ3GU5CkNqre7Aa5mYHQCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=984&bih=569

Last edited by MikeO on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Mike,

IIRC, Waspie, late of this forum, used to work at Bovingdon camp, which I believe is close to the museum.
He used to take great delight in telling the Army bods that his service Veterans badge was from service in the Royal Navy, the Senior service!!

(Must admit, I'm no better - I live in an RAF county, and I make sure they all know I was also in the senior service!)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 4:23 pm

I think he still does and has connections with the museum - I think there are more tanks in there than in the British Army!

My 'service' connections were tentative and quite brief but I was a Civilian Instructor in the Sea Cadets when I retired and I have the epaulettes to prove it.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:12 pm

I was a cub scout - 4th Bermondsey. Sadly, I lost my woggle.  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Sounds like a fine museum. One day , when I get back to England, Ill look this one up.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 am

I love tanks would trade my Silver Wing for one in a heart beat.

I have a collection of stuff, I like to call my collection room my own museum.

Here is some video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXFLPmPNX0&list=UUMYTJbykkzzbkCLZeLISysQ

I just shot this video for this post. It's a new piece that I have not yet moved to my collection room. IN the next two weeks I will get video of it all in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUIIQXfiT1I&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 am

A very interesting and impressive collection.

A tip from someone who works in television. Rather than fly the camera round the room, zooming in and out and "whip panning" from one object to another, try starting with a static wide shot to establish the geography (layout) of the display. Then cut to closer shots to highlight points of interest. Insert other wider shots along the way as you move from section to section. Give the view time to see stuff.

Wink
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 am

Colin B wrote:
A very interesting and impressive collection.

A tip from someone who works in television. Rather than fly the camera round the room, zooming in and out and "whip panning" from one object to another, try starting with a static wide shot to establish the geography (layout) of the display. Then cut to closer shots to highlight points of interest. Insert other wider shots along the way as you move from section to section. Give the view time to see stuff.

Wink

I will try and remember that next time. The Camera was new and I had no prior experience with video.

Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:28 am

I should note that my Grandfather and his buddies found the Nazi flag in Berlin and the signatures are from my grandfather and his army buddies. I got all the other stuff seen the easy way, with cash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bovingdon Tank Museum   Bovingdon Tank Museum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bovingdon Tank Museum
Page 1 of 1