Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

low idle speed need help

Go down 
+2
bigbird
Doct1369
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Doct1369
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Doct1369

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-06-25

low idle speed need help Empty
PostSubject: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 2:22 am

my idle speed is about 500 after the SW is at running temp. why would it be this low the SW does not cut off and seem to ride just fine but after reading the owner's manual i know it need to be somewhere near 1200. what can i do to get the idle speed up without adjusting the idle speed? if something need to be fixed i would prefer to do that before I adjust the idle speed.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 am

Year of bike? Mileage? Without this info it's really difficult to make a diagnosis. Any parts replaced, such as spark plugs or air filter? Any mods done to the engine or electrical system? I have suggestions, but need this info first.
Back to top Go down
Doct1369
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Doct1369

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 am

it's a 2002 SW that i just got a week or so ago it has 14,987 miles on it. cant say if the air filter or plug has been replaced or not as far as i know it has no mobs done to the engine. electrical system it has a J&M CB radio installed it also has Gerbing 12V Permanent Dual Temp Controller
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 am

You are ready for a belt change at 16000 miles.

So if you are of the DIY persuasion then you can order one now along with a new air filter. Meanwhile you might want to adjust the warmed up engine idle with the phillips head idle screw located beneath the round hole in the underseat cover. You'll have to move aside some vacuum hoses to see that phillips head screw. Do not mistake that idle adjustment for the air adjustment screws. Later after you've replaced the air filter you may need to tweak the air adjustment screws. They are at the throttle bodies in that same cluster of vacuum hoses and are brass slot head screws. You'll need to remove that underseat cover and use a manometer to balance those air adjustment screws. Check elsewhere on this forum for links to DIY manometer. Inexpensive and easy to put together using clear plastic tubing, some vacuum connectors, a piece of 2X3, and a ruler. HTH

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 am

I would be interested in the DIY manometer but the pictures seem to have been removed from the OP. Any chance they could be reposted?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 am

Based on your description of the idle, there is a drastic issue, either with throttle plate synchronization or idle speed adjustment, or both. Maybe a previous owner was screwing around and really messed it up.
Based on the age and mileage of your bike, another issue you could have is a low idle caused by an overly rich mixture. The fuel pressure regulator could have a pinhole leak, allowing extra fuel into the intake through the vacuum hoses. To check for this issue, first pull the spark plugs. If they're black and wet, look at the fuel pressure regulator. Another giveaway to that problem is evidence of raw fuel in the vacuum lines running to the intake manifold. If any of those vacuum lines contains gasoline, you have a fuel pressure regulator issue.

This is the vacuum gauge I use, but in the 2 cylinder model.

http://www.carbtune.com/carbaccs.html
Back to top Go down
Doct1369
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Doct1369

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Belt and rollers already in the mail Smile  i will order a new air and oil filter today the bike had a new plug under the seat and i will replace that today. thanks so much for the help guys
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 12:49 pm

ericclapham wrote:
I would be interested in the DIY manometer but the pictures seem to have been removed from the OP. Any chance they could be reposted?

Here is a link to a DIY Manometer. It's the same pattern I used. Except I used shock oil in the tube, rather than water, so that it was more visible and glued a paper IKEA ruler between the tubes to "measure" the vacuum difference. HTH
http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/manometer.html

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 3:56 pm

You will need two new plugs, so if you found one you need a mate for it.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks CJ.That article is very precise. I guess you could tint the H2O with food dye to make it more visible.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 am

ericclapham wrote:
Thanks CJ.That article is very precise. I guess you could tint the H2O with food dye to make it more visible.

Yes, you could use tinted water, but I thought a thin oil-based medium would be less damaging than water if it should accidentally get sucked into the engine. Also, the oil will give a more dampened reading.

The vacuum tubes on the SW have a 3.5MM I.D. So don't use the 1/4 tubing which the article calls for. 3.5MM = ~9/64" while 1/4"= 6.35MM, I used 1/8" tubing purchased at the local Home Depot big box home supply store. 1/8" = 3.1MM. That said, if you only have 1/4" tubing available then maybe you can figure out how to reduce the ends down to 3.5 MM to fit the vacuum stubs.

You'll probably want to construct your manometer several days in advance to allow all the air bubbles to migrate out and the oil to balance. Setting it vertically with the lose hoses above the device itself helps with those air bubbles --but it seems to take forever.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

Try some aquarium aerator hose it might be a good fit. Its also fit on a 3 oz s bottle to lube the diff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: low idle speed need help   low idle speed need help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

low idle speed need help
Page 1 of 1