Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Long, short story I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Long, short story

Go down 
+4
"Hi Yo"
model28a
Greysilver
fstubbsjr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
fstubbsjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 10:29 pm

OK, here goes. I've been looking for a scooter/bike for about 6 months. As stated in my intro, I did ride (small geared) scooters, while stationed in Bermuda years ago. I've looked at everything from Burgmans, Honda NC, CX, and even found a NT700V yesterday. It is so hard to decide. I'm 6'1, 235, and 51 years young. Retired Navy, and work in the computer security industry for the Navy as a contractor. So, I did find the burgman both 400/650 to somewhat fit. I've asked them on their forum, just as I'm asking you, can you remove that "butt" rest for extra room? Now, the NC series sits High, and I do like it. I also sat on a Kawasaki KLR, which sits high too. But since I will not do any off roading, the KLR is probably of the record, but it does sit good. Again, the NC series was nice too. Then it hit me, I don't want to do chain maintenance, so that is narrowing it down to shaft or belt drive solutions. I'm not over confident, and would not purchase a super bike (I"m not stupid). So, it really is coming down to scooters or the NT700V. By the way, I want one for weekend, and maybe one day commuting. I live about 24 miles away from where I work. So, I know, buy used. However, if I get used, I do wan't ABS or low mileage. My spending desire: 5000-8500. So, here is what I have found:

1. 2012 Honda Silverwing ABS, NEW, 7999 OTD 9699 (seems over priced)?
2. 2010 Honda NT700V, (non-ABS), 4000 miles, OTD 7754, (Very, very Clean and negotiable)
3. 2014 NC DCT: 10,300 OTD
4. 2013 Burgman 650 183 Miles, 8000 OTD 9300 (negotiable)

Given those choices, I would really love to have the Silverwing, but the dealer; after I put 3300 on the table, didn't want to budge? The bike has been on the floor for 526 days! Given my other options, I'm not sure which one is the best. Thanks for your inputs!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 11:33 pm

The Honda guy is pretty tight. Sounds like he would rather milk you on the doc than sell the bike. I was OTD on a new 11' with 4 year ext warranty for 8300. Be sure you get ABS on what ever it is. I'd call around various Honda dealers and see what I could find.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 2:00 am

Some people call OTD price +dealer prep.before tax title and registration. Others call OTD price +dealer prep + tax + title and registration. Either way $9,699 for a 2012 does seem high.
fstubbsjr, I don't know what part of the country you're from but down here it's not hard to find good low mileage Silverwings for about a third of that 2012. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
 welcome  applause  welcome
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Long, short story 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 am

#1 Frank: Thanks for your service.  cheers  OK, it sounds almost like paralysis by analysis. You have done your homework, but the more you know, the more questions come up. Have you checked Craigslist, cycle trader, or other sites. Also, we have a number of members in Florida (if that is the Jacksonville you referenced). I'm sure they would help. Maybe a PM? The price on the 2012 seemed high, but without knowing the market, it's hard to say. The time of year is also working against you. I hope you find what you want. Good luck.
Back to top Go down

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 12:34 pm

My thinking when I bought my swing was "It's a Honda, they're bulletproof." So my goal was to buy an older one, since the design has barely changed, with as low miles as possible. It really seems amazing how few miles you can find on bikes that are many years old. I found one that had only been ridden around 500 miles per year it was owned.

Based on my experience and how it sounds from most of the posts here, I was correct in my belief that you can buy an older model and still have a trouble free experience.

Check out ebay and craigslist sales in your area, you will save thousands, which in my mind makes it worth the very small risk. You won't see as many NT700s, but there are always a few swings and tons of burgies.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't know where you are, other than U.S., but my dealer, Wild West Honda in Katy, has 2 leftover 2012 Silverwings for $7299 plus the add ons. I'm getting one of them from him on Tuesday and as far as I know the other is still available. They are very good to work with and don't push you to buy tons of stuff you don't want. If you are near Houston or even want to visit Houston the difference from $7999 to $7299 might pay for your trip.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:23 am

I don't think you will get a 2012 SW for anywhere near 3,000 dollars. You will find them around year 2004 for that
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 12:36 pm

In July 2011 I bought my new 2009 Silverwing as a hold over for $6499. I would think that you could get a 2012 hold over for about the same price now.
Back to top Go down
maxhush
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
maxhush

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-05-28

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:07 pm

The Scootist wrote:
In July 2011 I bought my new 2009 Silverwing as a hold over for $6499.  I would think that you could get a 2012 hold over for about the same price now.

I got a hold over 2012 ABS that had been sitting on the showroom floor at the local dealers with zero miles on it priced at $6899 locally about a month ago here (taxes, etc. not included).
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:08 pm

That seems like a good deal!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:34 pm

My local dealer has a 2013, asking 9,000+. He did say he could work with me on the price.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

My dealer had two 2012's for $7299. As of today he's got one and I've got one.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Long, short story 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 11:33 pm

LDB wrote:
My dealer had two 2012's for $7299. As of today he's got one and I've got one.
 cheers   applause   cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Long, short story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Long, short story   Long, short story I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long, short story
Page 1 of 1