Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Headlight adjustment

Go down 
+5
Loosemarbles
Greysilver
bigbird
Cosmic_Jumper
jwt827
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jwt827
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-08-14

Headlight adjustment  Empty
PostSubject: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I just changed the headlight bulbs on my swing and it appears that they need to be adjusted up ,is that possable and if so how would one do it?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 9:49 am

Yes, the headlight aim is easily adjustable but, unless another inmate here can explain the how/where of it, you're going the need to refer to the manual for the illustration and info. Meanwhile, you might check the archives here to see if that question has been addressed before.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm

It's page 3-20 of the service manual.
If you PM me with your email, I can send it to you as a compressed pdf file.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 11:24 am

I will have to read my manual as well. The stock position of the headlight is a bit low, even on high beam. I would like to raise mine 1 or 2 degrees. I need about 60 more feet of reach with High. It's best to see  that black cow at night on a dark road and have time to evade.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Me again, reviving an old thread. Is the low beam headlight adjustable in the horizontal plane?

I ride to France and Belgium quite a lot and my headlight is definitely adjusted to the left for UK roads. I would like to adjust it to point directly ahead so that it suits both UK and European roads. I don't think there is any need for a bike to have a biased headlight adjustment.

Views, comments or advice welcome.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm

I concur; the silverwing dip-beam shines straight ahead.
I bought my first in Belgium and it was fine when I came over to the UK.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Here's a photo from FSM pg 3-20 showing an inside view of the Front Cover and headlight which shows the headlight adjustment screws. Headlight adjustment  10211813

The horizontal adjustment screw is surrounded by a lip so you'll need to make the adjustment with a (8 or 10mm) socket. The vertical adjustment (kind of a bottle cap feeling thing) is easily adjusted by hand. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am

Thank you folks, I should be able to fix my headlight in jiffy. I'll give it go tonight. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 11:35 am

I had a look (or, rather feel) at the headlight adjustment screws tonight from under the headlight fairing. The horizontal adjuster as shown in the picture above, seems to be blocked by something. When I had a feel, it seems that there is something directly behind the adjuster which would prevent getting a socket wrench in there.

Can it be done without removing anything from the front of the bike?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

MikeO wrote:
I concur; the silverwing dip-beam shines straight ahead.

I concur with Mike, that plus headlamps that dip directionally should be fitted with 'beam benders' or 'masks' NOT adjusted in the lamp itself. Leave well alone bud
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi MikeO. My problem is that my headlight dipped beam is currently bending to the left to suit UK roads. I want to make it beam centrally (unbiased) and I'm wondering if I can centralise it without removing any tupperware. Do you know if this can be done?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Hi MikeO. My problem is that my headlight dipped beam is currently bending to the left to suit UK roads. I want to make it beam centrally (unbiased) and I'm wondering if I can centralise it without removing any tupperware. Do you know if this can be done?

Think about it bud, if you think it bends to the left now, no matter what you adjust it will always bend to the left
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Does the lens have an arrow pointing to the dip side and an E number ?  If so it's made to point that way and your will probably need a replacement unit to change the way it dips.  My old ST 1100 dipped straight up and down which was great for European riding.  Many years ago our FIAT 500 car had a headlamp bulb which could be rotated in the reflector to change the dipping direction but things are more regulated (and complex) nowadays, I suspect that you're stuck with it the way it is, if you use the masks to make it suitable for continental use check for their compatibility with the lens material.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 5:44 pm

bikerboy wrote:
Does the lens have an arrow pointing to the dip side and an E number ?  If so it's made to point that way and your will probably need a replacement unit to change the way it dips.

If that be the case then there should be a part # difference between the UK headlight unit and the continental unit.

The part # for the North American FSC600 models is: 33102-MGF-305 COO*and/or 33102-MCT-003 either of which will fit all FSC models from 2002 thru 2013 (2001 models were never imported to NA). So maybe you can research whether a 2001 headlight part # is different and whether or not there is a difference between UK and Euro model headlights for a 2001 model year.

If no difference then it would simply be a matter of making the beam adjustment via that horizonal adjustment screw.

*That COO, Country Of Origin, designation may factor into this issue, but it may also just be the difference between the UK/Euro headlights which have those small lights innthe upper corners of the headlight vs the NA headlight which does not have that light mount feature.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected info)
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Good diagram. If adjustment is similar to Honda cars the horizontal adjuster is a toothed wheel. The downward part is a slot that you can slide a cross tip screw driver in there and turn it.  Come up from above fender and try it that way.  If it turns by hand even better. Most cars do also have a bolt head.   I've been wrong before and will be again.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks again All. It seems I'm stuck with it. Here is a crude diagram of the markings on my headlight:

Headlight adjustment  Headli11

This is viewing the headlight from the front of the bike so the 'pair' of arrows are pointing to the left if sitting on the bike. Not sure about the about the opposite single arrow though.

Anyhow, does anybody know what type of stick-on deflector I should use when riding in Europe?

Also, where on the headlight to position it? I find the instructions on the packet very confusing when applied to bikes.

I'm going to check the parts catalogue to see if the UK has a separate part number for the headlight.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 10:47 am

Just checked the parts manual and the headlight unit has only one part number:33102-MCT-003

Curious Neutral
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 am

I guess it may be possible to adjust the headlight horizontally but I am certain that the mean position is straight ahead.
I also suspect that this is the same for most if not all maxiscooters, certainly in Europe.
When I emigrated to Belgium I took my Piaggio X9500. Ed, my partner, took his BMW 1150RT. As a result of the Bike Inspection we had to undergo, he had to buy a new healight unit (at vast expense) since the UK BMW headlight did dip left. The Piaggio dipped straight ahead as does the Silverwing so I was spared the expense of having to buy anything to make it conform.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks for that MikeO. I guess the only way to find out is to get in there and try to adjust it. There doesn't appear to be any vanes on the glass, as you find on car headlights, so I suspect the lens behind the glass can be adjusted left or right; the glass remaining neutral. I'll post my findings.

The cold wind here is not encouraging me to get into the garage to check it out. Still, no rush.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Thanks again All. It seems I'm stuck with it. Here is a crude diagram of the markings on my headlight:

Headlight adjustment  Headli11

This is viewing the headlight from the front of the bike so the 'pair' of arrows are pointing to the left if sitting on the bike. Not sure about the about the opposite single arrow though.

Been doing a bit of reading on this E4 means it was type approved for Netherlands (E11 is UK) but that is not really of significance, apparently the arrows facing in opposed directions mean the unit is adaptable ( would explain a single part number for the whole of Europe) presumably the extra left arrow is the way it's biased at the factory, I need to read more but it's my guess that  there are two positions in the dip beam bulb holder or the holder can be rotated.

As previously posted don't try to correct this by adjusting the lamp bud, if it is dipping left no amount of adjustment will make it go right.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Wow, what a minefield !! I'll wait to see if anyone can find more info. I've done a bit of Googling but can't find much detailed information.

'The Bern' is right though, the E number is academic but It would be cool if I could just rotate the bulb. To be a bit more scientific....why are there no veins on the glass lens (like cars) to bend the beam?....is it actually done by the curvature of the glass itself?......and anyway, who's idea was it for half the world to drive on the wrong side of the road?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 11:34 pm

"Veins" are the reflector.

BTW I updated my earlier post with correct part #'s for the headlight. Still either headlight is for any year Silverwing.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Wow, what a minefield !! I'll wait to see if anyone can find more info. I've done a bit of Googling but can't find much detailed information.

'The Bern' is right though, the E number is academic but It would be cool if I could just rotate the bulb. To be a bit more scientific....why are there no veins on the glass lens (like cars) to bend the beam?....is it actually done by the curvature of the glass itself?......and anyway, who's idea was it for half the world to drive on the wrong side of the road?

F IT just leave it on high beam. cheers You can see and everybody else can see you. Maybe.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight adjustment    Headlight adjustment  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlight adjustment
Page 1 of 1