Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
rear shocks I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

rear shocks

Go down 
+7
CathyN
MikeO
Cosmic_Jumper
Dimond
sctr199
GHM-PM
john&lesley
11 posters
AuthorMessage
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2014-03-29

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi all just fitted my hagon rear shocks this evening took  just over a hour and only 3 panels of the bike.had to make 2 access holes in the trunk just big enough for a deep 12mm socket.i will post a pictorial if I can to help others.i plugged the little holes with stoppers and made the holes with a hot solder iron.what a difference the shocks make nicely damped makes the swing sit higher and seems to put more weight over the front wheel.which has quicking up the front steering no more wallowing can take corners like a motorbike.well worth the money or at least for now.

Last edited by john&lesley on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 4:12 pm

finished job
http://tinypic.com/r/ajh0/8
small bolt comes from top off shock
https://2img.net/h/oi58.tinypic.com/dqj3nn.jpg
where to start hole for deep socket
https://2img.net/h/oi59.tinypic.com/ta6ft0.jpg
12mm deep socket on top bolt of shock
https://2img.net/h/oi61.tinypic.com/2gx39fa.jpg
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

finished job
http://tinypic.com/r/ajh0/8
small bolt comes from top off shock
https://2img.net/h/oi58.tinypic.com/dqj3nn.jpg
where to start hole for deep socket
https://2img.net/h/oi59.tinypic.com/ta6ft0.jpg
12mm deep socket on top bolt of shock
https://2img.net/h/oi61.tinypic.com/2gx39fa.jpg
put screwdriver through hole so i knew where i was at i could give dimensions
if any one needs them
https://2img.net/h/oi60.tinypic.com/n1us75.jpg
just showing the hole which coud of been neater but done with a hot solder iron
https://2img.net/h/oi60.tinypic.com/14blxer.jpg
just a picture of the shock and only 3 panels removed
https://2img.net/h/oi61.tinypic.com/2rhuyv6.jpg
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 am

Nice work! Glad it worked out well for you. Sure is a pain to get to the shock to change. On my old Trail 90's can replace shocks in minutes (sigh). All about the labor I am guessing.
Back to top Go down
john&lesley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
john&lesley

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Cheers glenn I was thinking of away to do the job then it struck me that honda could of made access easier by adding a flap of some kind.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Great pictorial! When you've had a chance to give the new shocks a workout, both with and without your passenger, I'd like to hear how they did. Had to look it up, but I'm about 15 stone myself Wink 
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 12:15 pm

john&lesley wrote:
finished job
just a picture of the shock and only 3 panels removed
https://2img.net/h/oi61.tinypic.com/2rhuyv6.jpg
Thanks John for your pictorial on the Hagon shock installation.  The picuture shows the 'adjustment' at the TOP of the shock.  It appears that there is no way to adjust the 'setting' on the Hagon shock (unless it is removed or maybe cut a very large hole in under-seat storage area) due to the very tight clearance for access to the top of the shock.  Correct? I have already cut (with hole drill) a nominal 1inch diameter hole in my trunk area (similiar to what you did) to access the OEM shock which makes removal a snap without the disassembly of any body panels or other SWing components.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 2:39 pm

I have to thank John as well for the idea about cutting away the inner box to expose the upper bolts.

I had the same concern about accessing the adjusters with the spanner tool, but it can be done.  The right side is a bit harder to get at because of the muffler bracket.  I set my shocks on the middle position before I installed them, seems to be working out so far.

Last edited by sctr199 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Got any idea how far down from the top that first pilot hole for the 1 inch hole saw is. I'm not very good at eyeballing drill hole locations, and it seem like every time I try something I end up needing to 'stretch out' that hole so that it ends up egg shaped or even swiss cheese.

A measurement would help greatly before I start plunging one inch holes all over the place

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 6:39 pm

I will take/post a picture - each side of the storage box where you drill the holes is NOT symmetrical. I drilled a tiny pilot hole then held a flashlight up to the hole and viewed if the light landed dead center on the bolt - if not, I moved my tiny pilot hole and tried again. This seemed to get me close enough for all practical purposes. Then I drilled my 1" diameter hole with a hole-saw bit.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Right side access to bolt holding top of rear shock.

rear shocks Img_7910

Left side access.

rear shocks Img_7913

The 'white' in the photo is tape on the inside of the luggage compartment to better show the hole in the plastic. The hole ID is just under an inch (0.95in) and, if I remember correctly, not big enough to pass the 'washer' that is under the bolt. You can easily get a socket on this bolt to remove it - but need to fish the washer up inside the case - or you could make a bigger hole - which I did not want to do. I covered my hole opening with duct tape - not classy - but effective and easy. Someday I will search out a proper plastic/rubber hole plug. The top the shock mounting slides laterally over a boss and there is just enough room to move it laterally to get it off without taking any plastic off the SWing.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:14 pm

I ordered a pair ($250 total) of Hagon shocks for my SWing. The San Marcos CA USA distributor advised they have 3 spring rates available: 12 (67#/in), 9 (50#/in), and a heavier one (didn't ask about this one). The 12 is for 165-220 pound riders - since I am 160 pounds I went with the 9. There are three settings. Guessing these will be a big improvement on over my OEM Honda rear shocks - but will have to see. Will report on findings when I get them installed/tested. Hagon makes them outside London in Hainault - so how can I go wrong?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Only by pronouncing 'Hainault' incorrectly. Razz
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Hello All,

Just received my Hagon Shocks today. I purchased them from Hagon USA $274.00/pair. I placed the order just before Christmas. They thought I would have them around the middle of January with the Holidays and all. Well as you can see it took much longer. Hagon in England had some issues getting the springs made. They shipped them out as soon as they were assembled. They felt bad and made a special shipment to San Marcos, CA. And Then San Marcos Shipped to me right away. So if anyone has anymore information on installing the Hagon Shocks that would be helpful, we are all ears. I will let you know how they are.

Thanks John and Leslie for your pictorial.

CathY
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Kathy,

That is cool you are getting Hagon shocks. I'm curious to ready our review of them when you get them installed. If you want to get the best most comfortable ride you need to 'install them upside down'. This is an old trick only a couple of us know about. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 12:09 am

JeffR wrote:
Kathy,
.  If you want to get the best most comfortable ride you need to 'install them upside down'.  This is an old trick only a couple of us know about.  lol  

Hi, is this a serious recommendation or an early 1st of April fools joke?
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 7:08 am

I must admit Ive recently put a set on my scooter and for the life of me can't imagine how (without serious modification) you could install them upside down!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 6:51 pm

I was kidding !!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
rear shocks 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 7:03 pm

HORNBLOWER wrote:
I must admit Ive recently put a set on my scooter and for the life of me can't imagine how (without serious modification) you could install them upside down!

Simple, stand on your head. Easier for the mates from down under. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rear shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear shocks   rear shocks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear shocks
Page 1 of 1