Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail Empty
PostSubject: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 am

After finally getting more time to work on the S'Wing yesterday. I installed the highway footpegs mount, I built last week, and did some test fitting, of the body panels, before committing to trimming access for the mount. Good thing I had not cut the panels as yet. Though the mount would certainly work, the location of the footpegs would be low enough that I would have concerns of scraping in tight corners. Too bad as it was a crossbar, behind the radiator, with 4 point mounting to the lower removable frame section -- it was a very solid setup.

Today I move onto version 2 which will be one mount, on each side, welded to the floorboard support frame. This will require a 3/4 inch hole in each lower panel for the footpegs to install through. Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:33 am

BJ,
I had freeway pegs and later footboards done on my bike.
You can see them in my album linked below.
We used standard parts from the aftermarket Goldwing/Harley Kuryakyn catalog.
Clamp systems used are for the 1 inch tubing so we had to make an insert because SW is 3/4.
Since this system uses extensions you can have the mount 4 or 6 inches from where you want the actual peg/board. This way the peg/board stays out of the way of turns even if the mount is low.

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 6:39 pm

SUCCESS!  cheers  cheers Did some fine tuning and assembly on the S'Wing this afternoon and fitted my highway footpegs. As you can see from the pics below they are pretty straightforward appearing. I also have the option to fashion some brackets to drop them forward and down if I decide i would like the extra room. Right now this gives me about 3 inches of extra leg room.

The mounting is a thick steel tab welded to the floorboard support frame on each side. Then a long bolt with alloy spaces passes through the lower body panel and the footpeg screws on to the bolt.

Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail 2014-04-05%2005.32.24
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail 2014-04-05%2005.32.38
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail 2014-04-05%2005.32.46
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail 2014-04-05%2005.32.59
Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail 2014-04-01%2002.46.10
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Drag in hard cornering?
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Success!   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 7:56 am

john grinsel wrote:

Drag in hard cornering?

Nope, not at the height I have them and as they mount very close to the body panels. The scoot would have slide out from other other parts grounding well before the footpegs would drag. I did a mockup with broom handle pieces to check the lean angle before the build. We ride a lot of mountain twisties up here and retaining corner clearance was imperative.

I also have the option of going to a nicer foot peg, as they just bolt on. These are inexpensive Ebay aluminum ones @ $15. I would prefer black pegs as they would stand out (color-wise) less. When I have the cosmetics on the scooter done, it will have black accents as well, so they would also match better.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am

Nice BJ. So is that a giant stove bolt nut welded to the frame, or a square of flat stock welded and custom threaded? If flat stock was used what are the dimensions?

Tim
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:32 am

Good Job BJ. Inexpensive and elegant solution.
If you feel like writing up the process to the point where others can follow your directions step by step to get the same results, I bet a lot of people would be interested.

Dan
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thumbs up. Yes the tab is a square 'stove bolt' nut welded to the floorboard frame. The threads of the nuts were mostly drilled out so a long bolt passes through with a snug fit. Sure, I can write up a process.

Obviously, access to welding is essential. I use a MIG wire feed with shielding gas. This makes tacking, and alignment, less of a chore as well as providing clean welds. The difficulty is locating where to drill/trim holes in the panels, in the correct location, with minimal removal of plastic. I'll try to get something more detailed up within the week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail   Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Highway bars / footpegs build -- 1st prototype was a fail
Page 1 of 1