Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Suspension upgrades

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
john grinsel
ScooterBJ
Cosmic_Jumper
WingMan02
Jinglebob
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Suspension upgrades Empty
PostSubject: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 am

Greetings, all. The SWing continues apace to be an excellent machine.

I'm getting a bit of squeaking out of the suspension system and I'm wondering if I'm getting due for new shocks. The front end looks fine...seals intact...but also considering some progressive springs up front...I've had them in other bikes and they really work great for me, as I am built in the large economy size... Shocked 

I did a bit of a search here, but couldn't find anything specific. So, my questions:

1. Has anyone replaced the shocks with anything other than stock OEM shocks? If so, what make, how much, how were they, etc?

2. Has anyone put progressive springs up front? If so, what make, how much, how were they, etc?

Thanks in advance for your replies...I will withdraw with this shot from Ebbets Pass last summer:

Suspension upgrades SAM_1377676x507
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 am

If you use the search feature with "springs" in the search argument, you will get around 22 hits. Most riders go with the hyperpro front progressive springs. The front springs are around $180. Not many replace the rear shocks. The rear shocks (racing) cost around $814. All this assumes you will be doing your own installation.
I my self replaced the fork spacers with inch longer ones. I also used 15w fork oil as opposed to the 10w recommended by Honda.  I am not very happy with my cheaper solution. Next change is to reinstall the original spaces and keep the 15w fork oil. If I am not happy with this change, it is going to be the Hyperpro progressive springs.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am

Here is the link for all the known replacement and/or upgrade rear shocks available for Silverwings. HTH: https://www.silverwing600.com/t5686-replacement-rear-shock-absorbers?highlight=Replacement+shocks

Tim
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 am

I love the Silver Wing, but honestly, I would not own one if there were not an upgrade kit for the front suspension. I consider the front springs so soft they are dangerous. I am currently working on my recently purchased 04 SWing (the third I have owned) and ordered the Hyperpro kit within 2 days of purchase. I also had Hyperpro springs in my '02 SWing (#2, which met an untimely demise at the will of a restored Mustang). The good news is that the kit totally transforms the handling and I am among those that HIGHLY RECOMMEND the kit.

As others stated prior, rear shocks are a much more expensive proposition, but they are not nearly as bad as the stock front suspension. I would make sure the pivot ends are not sticking by checking the areas for crud or rust, cleaning if needed, and squirting in some appropriate lube like Boeshield or silicone spray. It is also a good idea to clean around the seal where the piston rod enters then lube it as well. These areas could be where the squeaks are coming from.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 am

You didn't state year or miles on machine-----sticking lots of money into scooter, trying to make it something it is not=waste.

I would try longer spacers in front and heavier fork oil. Getting top cap threads to catch can be problem, but can be done. SilverWing handles well for scooter and is not sub for motorcycle, ridden as scooter=fine. Want better handling scooter try TMAX.

Rear shocks, jack up preload and they seem to work fine, even loaded to limit
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 am

I can't say I've noticed that the front suspension on my '10 Silver Wing feels any different from any other maxi scooter or bike I've owned in the past, even the MZ I rode back from East Germany with a blown fork seal that leaked oil onto the fork leg didn't seem to affect the damping. 

It's a maxi scooter I'm riding not some high tech sports bike. In the 3 years or so I've had the Silver Wing I've ridden some pretty bad potholed and frost damaged roads and nothing has bottomed out or shaken the fillings out of my teeth, I've had no handling problems fully loaded and with a passenger either. 

Later this year I'm going back to do some more riding in the Harz in Germany, they're probably not as challenging to ride as the Rockie Mountains of Colorado, but they offer roads that put demands on the suspension and my bog standard forked Silver Wing is more than competent on these roads.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 am

I would agree with Meldrew and John. My 2012 Silverwing suspension is fine, no issues or handling problems at all. I don't find it any different from Motorcycles (cruisers) that I've owned in the past and I think the Silverwing's handling is better. I don't see any need to change anything on the suspension.
Maybe earlier years of the Swing had problems, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm

The newest model Silver Wing I had was a 0 miles new 2006 ABS. For me, I considered the front suspension much too soft, even as new. As the suspension gets older the springs do have a tendency to sag more and get softer. Perhaps the newer models, or the non USA spec models, have a stiffer spring -- don't know. I tend to travel light but am a big load (6'3" & 235lbs). I prefer stiff suspension and ride the Silver Wings like a 'sport-tourer'.

Many of the bikes I've owned i did suspension upgrades. After my current Silver Wing is done, the Burgman 400 is next with a front and rear spring upgrade and the XT will get slightly longer fork spring spacers, an air-fork kit and stiffer rear spring. I guess I am pretty fanatical about my suspension. Shocked 

Riders of stock SWings -- if you ever get the opportunity to ride a Hyperpro kitted SWing, you might be impressed.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

I knew you guys would have the answers!  Thanks to all of you...looks like I need to do some more research...

Unfortunately, I do not have the wherewithal to switch out bikes every year. I picked the SWing for a very specific reason...because it is has an excellent reputation for reliability and longevity. I've owned mine for about four years now and see no reason to be doubt that the bike will be good, usable and reliable for years to come. I have no interest in getting rid of it, as I consider it a faithful steed and a great machine, so investing a bit in it is not a waste of money, I assure you.

That said, to be brutally transparent, I don't think I've ever checked the preload on the shocks, so I'll definitely do that and tighten them up a bit if needed and see whether that makes a significant difference. As I noted earlier, I have progressive springs in the front end of another bike and they are, in my opinion, well worth the money, at least for that bike and me.

Thanks again to all. I'll update this thread periodically as things happen...
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 pm

The Silverwing comes with progressive front springs. They may be soft, but they are progressive.

I also agree with those who think that the stock suspension is fine. If people are used to big touring bikes with anti-dive valves (like the Goldwing), it probably feels different when stopping as weight transfers forward - the Silverwing has no anti-dive valve. That said, it appears a common mod on the Goldwing is to disable the anti-dive valve as when it activates on a stop, any bumps the rider hit are transmitted pretty much straight to the hand grips. Go figure - Goldwing riders want the dive, Silverwing riders don't. Maybe they should trade bikes. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm wondering if the stock suspension on the Swing may be adequate for average-sized riders, but a bit light for us larger guys. At 6'5" and 240 I'm even a bit bigger than BJ and my tires have very thin chicken strips along the edges. I agree with BJ - the stock suspension was inadequate for me and my riding conditions/style. There was way too much nose dive on hard braking and it didn't dampen out fast enough. The HyperPro progressive springs I put on the front made a huge difference. More than worth the modest price.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 11:16 pm

I agree with you.  I'm a bit heavier than you, so I have wondered the same thing.  

One of the reasons I changed out the springs in the other bike is because I could order springs built specifically for my weight and load.  Made a world of difference.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 am

Jinglebob wrote:
<>One of the reasons I changed out the springs in the other bike is because I could order springs built specifically for my weight and load.  Made a world of difference.

Hmmm...Custom springs? Could you tell us where you had that done, and maybe give us an idea of how much that cost?

Tim
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 9:44 am

jmaslak wrote:
The Silverwing comes with progressive front springs.  They may be soft, but they are progressive.......

Yes, you are correct, the SWing's stock springs are progressive (progressively wound), as opposed to linear, or straight, wound. I am sure most already know, but just in case, progressively wound springs are intended to become 'progressively' stiff, the more they are compressed. Linear springs maintain near same stiffness as they are compressed.

Progressive is also a brand that has made upgrade fork springs, and shocks, for many years. I had used their fork springs on 2 of my past Gold Wings and they were great improvements. These were the older 1100cc, less modern, models. Unfortunately, Progressive does not make springs for the Silver Wing (scooter).

On the V-Strom 1000, I had a couple years back, I used Sonic Springs (brand) in the forks as they could be ordered for my weight, riding style and are linear, as opposed to progressive, wound. The rear mono-shock spring I changed to a Hyperpro. As this bike was used on backcountry trails, I ordered very stiff springs.

There are quite a few suppliers of fork springs but Hyperpro seems to be the only company to step up to the SWing. For me, the Hyperpro kit for the SWing is more than worth the price. I am OK with the stiffness of the rear springs, but would like better dampening and action. Cost of aftermarket improved rear shocks is out of my range though.

In my view, just as most tires have different handling characteristics, so do changes in suspension. I prefer stiff suspension, but then, if I lost 60 lbs, my suspension would then be a bit more stiff (but I ain't losing 60lbs). affraid
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 5:58 pm

OEM shocks are fine.I prefer them to their highest setting with hyper pro's at front.Squeeking noise some
times comes from center stand .Spray with chain oil the bolts supporting stand to the frame..specially the right one (throttle side )
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 pm

"Hmmm...Custom springs? Could you tell us where you had that done, and maybe give us an idea of how much that cost?"

They were made by RaceTech, which set them up for my weight.  A local motorcycle service shop installed them on my VStar Custom.  I believe they were about $400 for the pair, plus installation labor cost.  I got the new fork seals basically for free.

"Squeeking noise sometimes comes from center stand .Spray with chain oil the bolts supporting stand to the frame..specially the right one (throttle side )"

That's an excellent suggestion and it appears to be about where the center stand is located.  I will do that...Thank you...

Oh, one other thing...found the shock preload was set on 2, so upped it to 4. We'll how that works tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Well, that was interesting...Went on a ride with a buddy today up 49 to 20 to Interstate 80 to Truckee, lunch, then back home on I-80.

I've owned this machine for four years. You'd think by now that I'd learned most of its quirks and features. Evidently not. The mere act of increasing preload from 2 to 4 made a profound difference in the handling, to the point that I'm now not all that interested in changing out the front springs...doesn't need it.

I also made one other observation...I have the Michelin PowerPure dual compound tires on the bike and I've found that when they're nice and warm, they work great...but when they're cold, you can feel the translation of the tire from the hard compound to the soft compound and back again as you corner. This imparts a sort of squirrely feel to the bike which is weird. It takes quite a while to warm those tires up.

So, several lessons learned...thought it might be worth sharing, to save someone else from going through the process like I have...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension upgrades   Suspension upgrades I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspension upgrades
Page 1 of 1