Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

centre stand on wheels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
petrolderek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petrolderek

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-10-30

centre stand on wheels Empty
PostSubject: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 am

I have made a new centre stand and fitted it with wheels so its easier to push about.
tried to place a photo but I cant get it to upload.
Also found the park brake pads are worn away. Had to weld half nuts to the allan head bolts to get them out. Have got photos of this too if anyone is interested how to get them out.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 am

Err, isn't the purpose of the center stand, not only raise the scooter but, to secure it so that it doesn't roll? That said, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with the "how to" of posting a photo. But your center stand wheels mod does sound ingenious though.

When you replace those allen bolts you might want to coat the threads with some anti seize

Tim
Back to top Go down
petrolderek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petrolderek

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Tim
I realise that about the centre stand I intend to leave it parked on the side stand if rolling away is an issue. I am also making a pad to raise the bike up 30mm when its on the side stand as leans over too far putting a lot of stress on the side stand.
Its not so much the bolts were ( seized ) with rust the threads had been locktighted in. I don't know if they are locktighted from new but if they are the allen bolts need to be harder to prevent them rounding off. I am going to make a tab washer to keep them in. What annoys me is the bike has a full service history but these pads have never been out. Same with the engine oil filter, it looks like its been in there a very long time.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:37 pm

You might want to exchange those allen head bolts for those from an earlier year model. My 2003 uses 10 or 12MM bolts on all the brake calipers. Somehow Honda allen head bolts have every shallow hex recesses and they round out very easily. But yes, those caliper bolts are Locktited. I've used anti seize on my caliper bolts for several years now with no issues. And the area where I live has nowhere the amount of corrosion contributing weather as the UK.

Tim
Back to top Go down
petrolderek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petrolderek

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

I have managed to put some photos of the stand and the method for removing the brake bolts on my gallery if anyone is interested
Derek
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 am

Be careful with wheels on the center stand. If you push it forward and one of the wheels hits a small piece of gravel or such it could fold the stand unexpectedly leading to dropping the bike.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am

petrolderek wrote:
I have managed to put some photos of the stand and the method for removing the brake bolts on my gallery if anyone is interested Derek

Nice Job Derek! Not that I approve of wheels on the center stand mind you, but it looks to be excellent workmanship and a novel idea as well.

That is some serious rust on the caliper, axle nut and shock. Lotta elbow grease & wire brushing to remedy that. Are you located near salt water that would cause that amount of rust...or is it that the scoot is ridden year round and the winter road treatment chemicals used in the UK did that?

Sorry, but I misinformed you regarding the earlier S/W's using 'normal' bolts on those parking brake pins. They are allen heads but I believe that there are little rubber plugs that fit into the caliper threads. At any rate, given the amount of rust & corrosion, be sure to lube or use anti seize on those threads.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Derek, nice example of what can be done building your center stand on wheels. And the removal of the allen bolts. Unbelievable amount of rust and corrosion on and around your rear wheel area. Good luck with that.
Dick
Back to top Go down
petrolderek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petrolderek

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

More corrosion. Found the bracket that holds the ( chrome ) plastic guard over the silencer has rusted through. Had to make a bracket and weld it up. Also when I took the lower plastics off under the foot boards I had to drill off the heads of some of the screws, some had been chewed up and some were seized solid. I have got some new spire nuts and stainless screws to go back and a new exhaust clamp that was rusted away too. I bought the bike in November 13 and checked the service history. There was an invoice for £80 for an oil and filter change in June 13 but this oil filter has rust on the body and is almost rusted through. Just goes to show don't believe everything you read. Fitted the Givi windscreen with stainless screws and have just about finished the sidestand extension. Its on mk 8 at the moment. Its been tricky to make without it rubbing on the plastics under the floor. I might make a short video of the sidestand and put it on youtube later.
The scoot is 10 years old so this amount of corrosion is not uncommon for a machine of this age in the UK. Its not so much due to salt on the roads its just nearly always wet. You don't know how lucky you are in the USA where its dry most of the time.
Back to top Go down
petrolderek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
petrolderek

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Do you want to see something REALLY scary.
Look at my gallery photos.
Warning anyone of a nervous disposition don't look at photo #6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: centre stand on wheels   centre stand on wheels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

centre stand on wheels
Page 1 of 1