Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing

Go down 
+4
jmaslak
"Hi Yo"
bigbird
woc4
8 posters
AuthorMessage
woc4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-18

is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing Empty
PostSubject: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 4:48 pm

I rode my silverwing from Birmingham , Alabama to Buenos Aires, and here it began aving problem at low speed700 to 1500 rpm. The Honda service I consulted said it was a problem with the mapping of the gas injectors, and that at this point (at low rpm's) there was not enough gas feeding the injectors. I am having also trouble with the air filter because this kind of bike it's unknown over here. None of the Honda dealers around here have any idea where I may find the mapping soft, so i will appreciate your help.
And to those that said the Silver Wing is not a good bike for long trips I leave my itinerary, Birmingham (usa) to Miami. From Miami via container to Cartagena (Colombia) from there a trip to Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Taganga, Rio Hache ending at Cabo de la Vela over the atlantic border with Venezuela, went back to Cartagena and headed south through Caucasia, Medellin, Cali, Salento, Popayan, Pasto crossing the border towards Ecuador, Quito , Rio Bamba, Cuenca, Machala, Tumbes, Nazca, across the border to Peru, Piura, Chiclayo, Trujillo, Chimbote, Huacho, Lima, Ica, Arequipa, Ilo, Tacna, Arica, across the border to Chile through Pozo Almonte, Iquique, Tocopila, Calama, San Pedro de Atacama, at 4800 mts asl across the Paso de Jama, to Argentina through San Salvador de Jujuy, Salta, Tucuman, Santiago del Estero, Rafaela, Santa Fe, Rosario arriving at Buenos Aires capital city december 10 2013. The only maintenance and service done where oil change at Cartagena, (Colombia), oil change, air filter cleaning, injectors cleaning, change spark plugs al Quito (Ecuador), rear tire changed at Calama (Chile) as a cautionary meassure before crossing the Andes 4800 mts (15748 ft above sea level). the bike had performed as I never thought or hoped it will. I tip my hat to the Honda engineers that conceived and take this bike to the real world.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm

I have to disagree about the "injector mapping". Your engine's ignition and fuel system responds to changes in elevation, temperature, and throttle demand through inputs from various sensors. These sensors allow the ECU to control the ignition and fuel through preprogrammed algorithms. This ECU programming has existed since the Swing engine was developed back in '01. It is pretty much foolproof. I believe you had problems with either bad gasoline or your throttle synchronization was out. Your Swing should never idle at 700 rpm as you state, nor should it idle at 1500 rpm. You mentioned all the service you had done. I suggest one more procedure. Get your throttle plates synchronized, re-set the idle to factory specs, and see how it runs. Adding a Dynojet or similar black box to richen the mixture is just a bandaid for a larger problem that I think you have. You didn't state the mileage on your engine. If it's getting up into the 20k+ mile range, and your Swing is 5 or more years old, you could also have a fuel pressure regulator internal leak in the rubber diaphragm. The symptoms of that are erratic idle and rich running at low rpm and small throttle openings, as well as hard starting and flooding.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 pm

If the heading is correct, it is a 2003. Bigbird, I think you have given great advice as usual.  applause 
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Did you take a spare belt with you? Just curious. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 9:02 pm

I agree with BigBird's analysis.

That you crossed the Andes at 15,700 ft and the bike performed so notably well speaks to the fact that "fuel mapping' isn't your problem. Replace the fuel pressure regulator and, maybe you should carry a spare belt as well. You may not need it right now, but you will in the future.

Congratulations on such an outstanding trip.

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to ship the scoot from Miami to Colombia?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Wow what a trip! How many total miles did you travel?
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Dimond wrote:
Wow what a trip!  How many total miles did you travel?

And how long did it take to travel those miles?
Back to top Go down
woc4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I agree with BigBird's analysis.

That you crossed the Andes at 15,700 ft and the bike performed so notably well speaks to the fact that "fuel mapping' isn't your problem.  Replace the fuel pressure regulator and, maybe you should carry a spare belt as well. You may not need it right now, but you will in the future.

Congratulations on such an outstanding trip.

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to ship the scoot from Miami to Colombia?

Tim
it cost me 1200 us dollars, I did this way because it was almostthe same amount they quote for sailing or flying from panama. the problem with flying from panama to colombia is that the flight goes only to bogota. and yes i carried a belt and just changed at 33000 miles here in buenos aires
Back to top Go down
woc4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 2:25 pm

WingMan02 wrote:
Dimond wrote:
Wow what a trip!  How many total miles did you travel?

And how long did it take to travel those miles?
travelled 12000 miles in total and left Birmingham , Alabama june 20 2013 arrived at buenos aires dec 8 2013. Stayed some time in cartagena, medellin and cali. all the places with beautiful women.
Back to top Go down
woc4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm

bigbird wrote:
I have to disagree about the "injector mapping". Your engine's ignition and fuel system responds to changes in elevation, temperature, and throttle demand through inputs from various sensors. These sensors allow the ECU to control the ignition and fuel through preprogrammed algorithms. This ECU programming has existed since the Swing engine was developed back in '01. It is pretty much foolproof. I believe you had problems with either bad gasoline or your throttle synchronization was out. Your Swing should never idle at 700 rpm as you state, nor should it idle at 1500 rpm. You mentioned all the service you had done. I suggest one more procedure. Get your throttle plates synchronized, re-set the idle to factory specs, and see how it runs. Adding a Dynojet or similar black box to richen the mixture is just a bandaid for a larger problem that I think you have. You didn't state the mileage on your engine. If it's getting up into the 20k+ mile range, and your Swing is 5 or more years old, you could also have a fuel pressure regulator internal leak in the rubber diaphragm. The symptoms of that are erratic idle and rich running at low rpm and small throttle openings, as well as hard starting and flooding.
thanks for your answer and the proposed solutions, the bike is now at 33000 miles and the problem is while idling, once i got over 1200 rpm everything seems to be fine. Really it looks like at idle the injectors did not get enough gas, if i spray a little starter fluid through the air filter it begin idling and after 10/15 seconds again it comes the erratic idle. the trouble here is that the honda dealer here do not have even a maintenance manual for the silver wing so i been lucky i bought one on ebay and took it with me. when we checked the map sensor and all the values are the ones in the manual, that is what makes me wonder what the trouble is.since i arrive to cartagena in colombia i was told that spare parts and tires in the size for the bike are not available, so when in cali i have to import from usa a bridgestone tire as spare. the tires in got new in birmingham worked fine, the front tire i did not replace it and the rear it was replaced at calama, Chile just a a precaution before crossing the andes. Please if you have any other ideas they are welcome, and i'll be waiting for them. really appreciate your help
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Your idle is low. Spec is 1300 plus or minus 100.

I don't think I would spray starter fluid into the filter either.

I think if you adjust the idle screw, your problem is solved.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Also, the idle screw is in the middle, under a hose - don't turn the air balance screws by mistake they are on either side of the center of the scoot). That said, Big Bird had a good suggestion in checking air balance.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 3:46 pm

You are not going to be able to adjust the idle if either of those air adjustment screws are out of sync. Or, for that matter, if the Fuel Pressure Regulator is not working correctly.

Considering that your S/W is 11 years old there is a great possibility that the FPR diaphragm has deteriorated. IIRC that part is not very expensive and is easily replaced just using an adjustable wrench.

On the odd chance that your Honda mechanic doesn't have access to an accurate means of balancing the throttle bodies/air screws, here is a link for an, easily made, inexpensive DIY manometer: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

Tim
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Congrat's on the trip, sounds like an exciting adventure....

Dick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing   is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is there a software for mapping the gas injectors on the 2003 silverwing
Page 1 of 1