Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

luggage rack/ cargo carrier

Go down 
+15
robert
lalee
Jinglebob
model28a
jdeereanton
Meldrew
Sknrdtec
Colin B
john grinsel
DickO
dspevack
LN
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
bigtrain
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2013-11-10

luggage rack/ cargo carrier Empty
PostSubject: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 pm

I have an "05 SW I purchased in '09. I am an avid golfer & was contemplating installing a trike kit or trailer hitch to facilitate hauling golf clubs or larger items. The thought of all that extra weight added to my SW didn't appeal to me at all,so I came up with a secondary solution.
  I purchased a Maxworks aluminum cargo hitch carrier,49"x22", from Farm & Fleet (Harbor Freight has also),modified it slightly & bolted it to my stock luggage rack. These are the carriers that slide into your receiver to carry cargo outside your vehicle.
   Have done some testing in town with no load successfully,no highway tests yet at speed due to weather.
   Bolted a 16"x22" piece of 3/4" plywood to luggage carrier using 4 existing bolt holes in l. rack.I then centered carrier & ziptied it down in several spots.I believe this will work best,maintaining a somewhat break-away capability incase I clip something with carrier.Width at mirrors is 35",at carrier is 49".
   Will keep u posted....trying to upload images!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 am

I'll be interested to see pictures of your solution.

On-board load vs. trailer has been debated before.

I'm inclined to think that the extra weight of a tow-bar is greatly offset by the far greater load which can be pulled rather than carried.

I debate rather than argue.

My supposition is based on my shopping with basket and shopping-trolley, the fact that my L200 truck could tow more than three times what it could carry (weight) and what I read on the internet about horses at work. Smile 

Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 am

MikeO,

Did test carrier with my golf bag while parked....u definitely have to pay attention when using sidestand! U must have a firm surface & do it slowly incase of shifting loads.I have no intention of having much over 50 lbs. of cargo anyway.The most important things to remember is to tie down securely,center the load & favor it towards front of carrier.My SW is used mainly for short commutes anyway.
I'm sure a trailer is much better for touring & heavy loads,but for my short (usually under 30 mis.) jaunts, this is the right solution for me.
Maybe u can enlighten me since I am a newbie here about posting pics....in FAQs,it states u can't post images from your PC,yet in other posts it says it can b done. any ideas?

Thanx, Big Train
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for your reply/explanation; I can see the rack is more suitable in your situation.

Pictures: in the 4th grey box at the top of the Message Box are four symbols.
Click on the first (Host an image) and it should enable you to 'Browse' your pictures and upload one.
Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 1:33 pm

No luck with pics.Seems to go well,but nothing comes up.Even down-sized.
Attachments
luggage rack/ cargo carrier Attachment010.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(27 Kb) Downloaded 114 times
luggage rack/ cargo carrier Attachment010.jpg
(27 Kb) Downloaded 73 times
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm

May have it.....
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: pics   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 pm

ok
Attachments
luggage rack/ cargo carrier Attachment012.jpg
(40 Kb) Downloaded 83 times
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
luggage rack/ cargo carrier 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Definitely different. As long as it fits your needs, that's all that's important. I can see where it would be easy to overload and the parking could get tricky. I had no trouble viewing your pictures, so I guess you got it right.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 3:51 pm

instead of that rack just set your bag on the rear seat pointing back. Side winds will be a problem and another problem I see is the side to side to side "wobble of death" you may not be able to get out of it. You are to wide, you may need extra lights. Nobody is expecting a bike to look like that. I put over 80,000 on my first S and I am almost 40,000 on the second. I drive the S for living and I put stuff you will never imagine anybody will carry on a scooter. Latest 6ft business tent with accessories for 50 miles cca 200lbs.

Invest in a small trailer.

Very ingenious I may say.
Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 8:21 pm

You could deliver a lot of pizzas with that.....or even move a body....
Seriously, that is a wide carrier.
Try something like this, much safer:
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=448&cat=356&page=2

or

http://www.chriscoacc.com/webPages/CaddySystem/GolgCaddy.htm

DennisB (a member here on the board) sells a tow hitch, but it can just as easily support a small platform.
From there all you need is a guide to keep in standing up, which can come up from the platform, or backward from something mounted on the wing, like the same mount used to install the givi top box on the wing.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 10:55 pm

The 'manufactured' golf caddy on the GoldWing is, what I'd consider, a much better way to go. Even at that, in the pic shown, you start getting involved in some jurisdictions for blocking the license plate. Whatever... "bigtrain's" rig just looks a bit too scary to me.
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 pm

As far as carrying my golfbag backwards on the rear seat,this is not an option at all.Having my soft-sided round bag with $1k worth of graphite golf shafts balancing on top of the roundtop backrest is a recipe for disaster.Securing the bag (somehow) would only put more pressure on the shafts.The carrier has 6" sides,which will help prevent shifting.I did consider DennisB's hitch,but with my carrier loaded the license plate would definitely be blocked...my mount is above the l. plate.As for the golfrack carriers suggested,they aren't versatile enough for me...my carrier can haul (hopefully)a wide variety of items...thanks for the intel tho!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 3:30 am

Not being nasty....but you do not seem to have much experience in carrying loads on scooter.....adding some high, behind rear axle does to handling what a heavy rock does tied to rear of arrow!

As somebody who had hauled some amazing stuff on rear of motorcycle/scooter....and went one 15 year period or so where I bought nothing that couldn't be hauled home on bike, tried to keep weight forward and low was always consideration.

Golf Bag, with cover to keep stuff from falling out should work, set crossways on seat behind rider, using rubber cords to secure.

Dennis B Trailer hitch as platform----more handling problems as it moves up and down as I understand it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 am

bigtrain wrote:

I'm sure a trailer is much better for touring & heavy loads,but for my short (usually under 30 mis.) jaunts, this is the right solution for me.

Thanx, Big Train
The OP is happy with what he has , so why are we trying to dissuade him? It would seem that John with his billions of rubberband miles would have seen everything strapped to or towed by a scooter/motorcycle.  Laughing  I had a friend whose father was a missionary and took his family to the movies on a 250 Yamaha. That was a family of wife, three children, and a pet monkey.  affraid 
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 am

It's obvious to me that some of you have absolutely no experience with transporting expensive (custom made by myself) golfclubs.They should either b in an absolute horizontal or vertical position.Any pressure applied directly to sides of shafts (let alone a bagful) is taboo....and tying them down on an unstable rounded base only applies more pressure.Plus,80% of the total weight is hanging out one end of the bag where the titanium ($$$$$$) heads hang out.As I said,am in experimental stage weather permitting (4" snow now),so any positive feedback is greatly appreciated.I won't be singling any individuals out,but I do have massive experience transporting loads on 2 wheelers....been riding since "71.I transported 4 bags of topsoil at 40 lbs. per recently on my SW...1 under seat & 3 on passenger seat.This gave me the idea to raise my back support 4" since the pressure from bags felt great while riding.Just because I recently joined this forum doesn't mean I am a novice. Thanx again, Big Train
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 am

I may not play golf, but I used to carry expensive and delicate sound equipment (insurance value £20,000). I also took it around the world. The secret was to use custom made, padded flight cases, which gave ALL the necessary support, regardless of the treatment the cases received.
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

Thus the reason I put carrier on......clubs strapped to seat not an option.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm

"bigtrain wrote"
" Going to church makes you as much of a Christian....as standing in a garage makes you a Silverwing." LOL"

So... I go to church...  I am a Christian...  I ride a SilverWing that I keep in my garage...

Is there a problem here????...
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 12:11 am

I'm thinking of carrying around my 1953 Steinway Grand Piano with all my piano tuning tools and piano repair and refinishing kit and my 1969 Hammond B3 organ with bench , pedals , cables , extra tubes , assortment of diodes and resistors and filter caps along with 2 Leslie rotary speaker cabinets . Any thoughts on ease of transporting methods on the SW would be greatly appreciated..........................Oh and my harmonica . I'm kidding of course . But getting such good gas mileage with the SW , its nice to wish it could be used for much more than designed for . Safety first .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 4:22 am

bigtrain wrote:
It's obvious to me that some of you have absolutely no experience with transporting expensive (custom made by myself) golfclubs

It's obvious to me how you transport golf clubs on the back of a Silver Wing is of interest of no one except yourself.  

big train wrote:
Just because I recently joined this forum doesn't mean I am a novice. Thanx again, Big Train

Since you didn't bother with the usual Intro post no one reading your posts knows anything about you. Don't you think the naked scowling baldy man avatar looks a bit out of place on a scooter forum, and trying to wind up church goers with your little quip isn't going to win you any friends on here either.  Neutral
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 8:10 am

Meldrew, I simply stated what my carrier was for...just sharing project with the forum.Wasn't looking for a pat on the back,just positive input from so-called experts on my,as stated,"experimental project".Then,so-called experts began to shred my project while.....wait for it..........it was still in "EXPERIMENTAL STAGE".As for my avatar,which I think should be humorous,is a famous pro (fake) wrestler from my childhood, Baron von Raschke,whom I somewhat resemble.The only difference I see in our 2 avatars is that yours is sporting a cap....Concerning my signature quip-It is pointed at what I call "posers",not God fearing worshippers.Simply because an individual dresses up & motors to church on Sundays,going thru the motions for show,it doesn't mean you are going to Heaven.I am a man of humor,so anything I say on this site should b judged thusly.....Hopefully I cleared some issues up.   Sincerely,with held tongue, Big Train
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 am

bigtrain,

Good forum etiquette typically involves introducing oneself to the already assembled group.  This is really just a friendly thing to do and when done properly it eliminates most questions, not all but most.  Why don't you mosey over to the "Introductions" section https://www.silverwing600.com/f1-introductions and tell us a bit about yourself?

I'm not questioning your rack, it's not my cup of tea, but then I had very few farkles on our Silverwings.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm

In hindsight,probably a good idea.But,I see no reason to get somewhat attacked after initial post...If u would re-read it,please tell me where I went awry?  Thanx, Big Train
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 1:23 pm

It's not a question of 'a good idea'; it's requested as a matter of courtesy.
This sentence appears under the picture on the 'Forum' page: Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

If new member choose to ignore that so be it but they cannot then feel hard-done-by if established members feel slighted and say so.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Maybe the link I provided doesn't work? Try this one:  https://www.silverwing600.com/f1-introductions

I am a writer so if I were to critique you for anything I'd have plenty to go on.  But I'm not going to do any such thing.  I would ask that YOU please not use text speak, at least when YOU respond to me, just my preference.

Did you think no one would have an opinion on your rack?  Experimental, prototype, or finished project - plan on someone not seeing eye to eye with you and offering some criticism or potentially praise.  For crying out loud, there are some on this forum who have criticized the use of mud flaps and top boxes, let's not even mention dirty bathrooms or some old close minded guy wearing no undies will get his chaps in a twist.

Your rack on your bike is your choice, enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Look no under wear works-----get some bike riding experience.....and the bathrooms in the south remain dirty, period.

I do not wear chaps but Darien pants or have pr of Stone Lake leather bibs.

Did you ride this morning @18F in south?? I am about to go out now on bike.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 4:59 pm

My point exactly!

Have a nice ride John. I wish you actually knew as much about me as you think you do. Safety First!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Dale u jest never no hoo will c i to i do u ?  Wink Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 pm

Respectfully, I don't golf, but if the clubs are as fine and fragile as you say they are, I'm not seeing how transporting them in that rack is OK for them.

Also, I have a Givi top box and made the mistake of placing some weighty items in it while running Highway 36 here in northern California. Definitely screwed up the handling until I figured out that weighty items go under the seat, centered and near the COG. The box is for items which are bulky, but not very heavy. I don't know how much your clubs and your rack weigh, but I'd be interested in knowing whether you notice a negative effect on the bike's handling...your lateral forces would, in my mind, be quite exaggerated with so much material hanging well out at the sides. I personally would worry about that, but if you're good with it, OK.

One other thing...your signature line is from a well-known quotation from evangelist Joyce Meyer, which you altered a bit. Many years ago, Joyce said: “Just because you go to church doesn't mean you're a Christian. I can go sit in the garage all day and it doesn't make me a car” . She still says it today in her meetings around the world...
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Don't know J. Meyer.I've heard a form of the quote,& altered it a bit for this forum...all for humor.Thus the icon at the end.  An expensive graphite golf shaft is basically thousands of tightly spun fibers bonded together by polymers/epoxy to exacting tolerances.Consideration is taken in getting the desirable flex,length,kickpoint,weight,etc.If just a few of these strands are compromised,the shaft will invariably fail in short time.Think "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".As I mentioned in a previous post,vertical & horizontal is preferred for transporting shafts.I wish to apologize for not posting an immediate intro,I truly didn't notice the request for one...went straight to profile.I did a little research on this site,and noticed several members also guilty of this same slip..."let thee without sin cast the 1st stone." I'm pretty sure I nailed that quote.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 am

bigtrain wrote:
..."let thee without sin cast the 1st stone." I'm pretty sure I nailed that quote.
Stones Stones Stones................... I don't recall any sins. Of course I have a hard time recalling what I had for breakfast.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 am

Done jousting,tech talk from here out.......Hi Yo,you're a good man.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 am

Cool. I'm still interested in knowing whether hanging that wide, heavy load off the back end of your machine has negatively affected its handling. My interest is based on my experience overloading a Givi top box, as I described above. Forgive my ignorance, please, but I can't see how your rack and load would not negatively affect the handling based on the configuration you depicted in your photos. From a purely technical standpoint, do you have any thoughts about that?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 11:27 am

I like Jingle bob reply----adding weight/junk behind rear wheel has affect of putting big rock on rear of arrow, period. Weight is best kept low and forward, again period.

But I find in US with many low skill riders, they don't know difference in bad handling or maybe even care. They get old and get a trike.
Car Tires??
Somebody here has even suggested tire pressure indicator-----my answer if you cannot feel sudden deflation or low air pressure in tires----you probably do not belong on bike. Scooters in general do not handle well comparing them to proper motorcycle----I find/found SilverWing 600 to handle well within its design....go slow, careful with large throttle openings bent over and you will stay out of weeds. My Burgman 400 solo is terrible in the handling department=unsprung weight or rear weight bias?? Flex frame ? My TMAX was king of scooters in handling dept.

Note: Motorcycles/scooters are still in use as somewhat heavy freight haulers in Korea---weight kept within wheelbase, but sometimes high. Years ago and seen once in awhile now extended swing arms to increase wheelbase---these guys can really ride! But the Pizza deliverymen are even better=fun to watch!!
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 4:22 pm

JingBo, I am 6'3" 280 lbs.(today). Between the width of the fairing & me & my heighth,I'm purely guessing I am going to b cutting such a huge hole thru the air that it won't matter that much.Usually hanging knees out when riding.The rack is just skeletal,golf bag isn't a hi/heavy load,so we'll see  Question Right now,rack is going thru exacting, severe winter testing here in Central Illinois...in garage,on centerstand,tricklecharger attached,with bags of recyclables piled in rack! Should have got out today,mid 30's but real sloppy from melting snow.Below zero temps blowing in tonight with 4-12" of snow too.May be March before I can do hiway speed test...not much for cold weather riding at all.The 3/4" plywood base bolted to luggage rack is supporting 3/4's of the front part of carrier,so it's pretty static & not "hanging".Only used plywood because that's all I had at hand...pretty sure will get replaced with 2-by hardwood in Spring.When fabbing this abomination of engineering after Xmas,I was in frigid garage in insulated bibs....but I was like a kid in a candystore! Will keep u posted & thanks for the query, Big Train    /p.s. -chaps like you I will answer anytime.... Wink

Last edited by bigtrain on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 4:24 pm

As for JG- I'm busy,still celebrating win in the Revolutionary War......
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum.  

I would drive my car to the golf course before I would put those expensive clubs that high and that far behind the rear wheel.  That is a lot of weight up high and behind the rear wheel.  At high speed, that will produce the famous tank slapping wobble and it won't come out of it until the bike is on its side.  

I hope it doesn't happen, but I believe it is only a matter of time if you use it that way.  I hope you heed the warning, but I can tell you have a strong opinion on your modification and I wish you good luck and safe passage.  

I installed a trailer hitch on my bike and I pull a trailer when it is necessary.  

It was excellent "thinking outside of the box" and I hope you keep your enthusiasm on using your Silverwing and continue to bring fresh ideas to this forum.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 am

X

Last edited by Colin B on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Offensive comment removed by Admin)
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 am

Home course 10 miles away,all casual jaunt thru country,probably never get over 50 mph the whole way.Stock luggage rack wil b supporting all the weight,carrier will basically keep everything wrangled in with help of cargo net.Want to use scooter for usual reasons....MPG,compactness,sun in my face,etc......As always....EXPERIMENTAL.....We will see.........
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Well ride safe. Give us a report on how that works out for you. Keep warm!

Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 am

10-4....back atya!
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Crappy Illinois weather finally broke,permitting me to speed test my cargo carrier/pizza delivery conveyance. Proud to announce ride was a complete success...no transport issues at all.Did a square mile circuit in 20 mph winds both loaded/unloaded with full golfbag.Got up to 70 mph in every direction...I would compare ride equivalent to having an 8 yr. old passenger....barely noticeable until turning.About the only thing I noticed that I'll need are taller mirror stems....couldn't hardly see rearwards when loaded.Also, have to make sure all compartments on golfbag are zipped up & secured! cheers Thanks for inquiries, Big Train
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 9:38 pm

cheers    cheers  Bigtrain, glad it worked. If you haven't decided on new mirror stems, try entering extenders into the search box. There is a wealth of information there. This seems to be a common and easy adjustment to the Silver Wing. They even have some pictures. I like pictures.   Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 10:58 pm

10-4 & thanx!
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi YO, So I want extenders,not just longer stems?
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 am

Check this link for the extenders:

extenders
Back to top Go down
bigtrain
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bigtrain

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 11:45 am

10-4. ordered them & thanks! Big Train
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I hope you like your mirror extenders as much as I do mine. I really consider them the best mod I ever made to my scooter.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 5:04 pm

What brand are your extenders?
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 am

Before I got my extenders, I couldn't see past my shoulders. I just about bought some new mirrors before someone from this forum posted about the extenders.

A little lock tight on the extender bolt will keep it in place when you go to adjust your mirrors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: luggage rack/ cargo carrier   luggage rack/ cargo carrier I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

luggage rack/ cargo carrier
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next