Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Changing the drive belt

Go down 
+11
john grinsel
jdeereanton
Hammy
DaveR
exavid
buddy19520
JeffR
xbgc25a
honda_silver
masscoot
som2002
15 posters
AuthorMessage

Changing the drive belt Empty
PostSubject: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Has anyone changed the drive belt? How hard is it to do yourself or should it be taken in?
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 2:58 pm

karen smith wrote:
Has anyone changed the drive belt? How hard is it to do yourself or should it be taken in?
If you are mechanically inclined at all, it should be no problem. There are plenty of walk-throughs with pictures out there on the interweb to guide you through it. You will have to buy a special tool to hold ithe pulley so it won't turn while you tighten it, you could also make you own out of a board if you are handy(thats what I did). If you don't feel comfortable tackling something like that once you've read the walk-throughs, I'd suggest taking it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Karen,

Here is a link to a pictorial on how to change the drive belt done by our very own site admin JeffR!

Here is a link to the Special tool needed to remove the drive pulley nut ala Leroy Beal

Reviewing these will show you what is involved. You can then make your decision to replace it yourself or have it serviced somewhere. Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 5:20 pm

masscoot wrote:
Reviewing these will show you what is involved. You can then make your decision to replace it yourself or have it serviced somewhere. Good luck and let us know if you have further questions.

If you fill in your location ... you may find that you have some experienced SWing owners in your area.
Back to top Go down
xbgc25a
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Is there a gasket to replace between the aluminum casings? I got to that and stopped because it looked like I would be separating pieces that had a gasket between them. Also where is the best place to get belts and parts?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm

xbgc25a wrote:
Is there a gasket to replace between the aluminum casings? I got to that and stopped because it looked like I would be separating pieces that had a gasket between them. Also where is the best place to get belts and parts?

Item number 14 (below) is GASKET, L. COVER

Changing the drive belt HJ0706039012I have not had to to replace the gasket.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Bill,

Thanks. I didn't notice the gasket when I have removed my cover many times. It must stay stuck to the case. Thanks for correcting me. I don't think it is a gasket that needs changing though... like the head gaskets.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:38 pm

JeffR wrote:
I didn't notice the gasket when I have removed my cover many times. It
must stay stuck to the case.

JeffR wrote:
I don't think it is a gasket that needs changing though... like the head gaskets.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 am

I think the gasket's only purpose is to fend off potential rattles.

The CVT case has a screened vent in the front, so it's possible that air and dirt will get in. It's not like the gasket seals it completely like a head gasket will.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:43 am

Air is pumped through the belt housing for cooling, the seal (#14) is just to prevent that air from escaping instead of passing through to cool the belt and pulleys.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Silverwingers....
I have to change my belt and am being told I do not have to remove the belt plate off the front of the front pulley to get it on. They say you can just put on over the back one and then it will go over the front one.
Does anyone know if this is correct?
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

DaveR wrote:
I have to change my belt and am being told I do not have to remove the belt plate off the front of the front pulley to get it on. They say you can just put on over the back one and then it will go over the front one.

I remember reading this, but I do not recall anyone confirming.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 am

For those who don't want to rig up a variator tool but want a new toy that is more useful than just simply a one-purpose thing, I bought a NoCord DigiWrench from Amazon which is a 12volt impact wrench that has torque settings in 10ft/lb increments from 50 to 250. Used that to get the bolt off to change my belt, and will be using it to get the back wheel off at some point, as well as helped a friend disassemble her totaled Burgman 650 into all its component bits and pieces.

Just in case you wanted an alternative to carrying a torque wrench and tool in your trunk for your next long trip. After having my belt snap about 800 miles from home, I now carry my impact wrench and spare belt with me in the trunk all the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 6:21 am

Hammy wrote:
...I now carry my impact wrench and spare belt with me in the trunk all the time.
Hammy have you ever weighed all of the extra stuff you carry? How much additional weight do you cart around?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 am

As somebody who rides scooter everyday and travel----I carry spare belt, tools to change with.

Proper tools to remove both front and rear wheels, tire repair stuff.

If your scooter has 100,000 miles maybe time to carry spare throttle cable. Since we have no kick starter or bump start capability, bike jumper cables, fuses, bailing wire, duct tape.

We cannot rely on dealers who stock nothing. Or Cell Phones to work.....or the new group of trailer bikers to stop and help-----on trip east from Sturgis a few years ago on my BMW I had high speed, middle of nite flat.......the trailer bikers don't stop to offer help.....finally GoldWing Rider with Cell Phone stopped, called mc tow service, got me to Tire Shop, where I removed wheel and waited for them to open. By 9 AM I was on road with professional repair to tire, enough to get home and fit new tire. Could I have found new tire in Mankato, MN? Questionable.

My take---those who don't ride a lot, don't have a lot of trouble because they don't ride a lot.

John Grinsel Will have look up size of this impact wrench....I have breaker bar and clutch holder tool-----bar also works on rear wheel.....when wheel is on ground.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Now you, John, are a man after my own heart. I'm not a whiz, mechanically, but I can follow written instructions. Carrying a spare belt and the tools to change it on the fly seems like a real good idea, always has, which is why I do it. As well as a tire repair kit and a can of Fix-a-flat. Fix a flat is good, but it doesn't help on the sidewall. I need to look into a mini air comp, as well when I get my next one.

And I always carry a service manual with me. Except for the first couple or three weeks after I get a bike. Usually takes that long to get the manual delivered. Owner's manual is good, but it usually doesn't tell how to replace a chain or drive belt; or a wheel.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Belt, etc   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Small pump THAT FITS ON VALVE much better. What if battery goes dead?

Riding used to a sport where you could be selfreliant----but now it looks like people prefer trailering and not riding much. As scooters/bikes are not as reliable as cars, you need to be as best prepared as you can. Would you buy a car where part of the driveline needs to be replaced every 16,000 miles? And expensive valve adj.?

Problem is solved if you don't ride a lot. I was actually told that by BMW in Germany--after one year @56,000 business and pleasure miles they said"I rode too much and as result had the troubles a normal owner has in 7-10 years". In that year Front Fork leg cracked, 4 sets of luggage frames broke, bike frame required re-welding, lots of electric troubles. Was R80RT bought new, I sold and new owner had the experience of swallowed valve about a month later. Japanese quality if much better.

John Grinsel

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:39 pm

DaveR wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving Silverwingers....
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Smile

You cannot get the new belt on without removing the front pulley outer half.
There is not enough room between the plate and the housing to get the belt on there.

I did see a Youtube vid where they did get it on but it lookked like a good way to lose a finger or two. (the motor was running when they did it.)

MaxB
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:21 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I was actually told that by BMW in Germany--after one year @56,000 business and pleasure miles they said"I rode too much and as result had the troubles a normal owner has in 7-10 years". In that year Front Fork leg cracked, 4 sets of luggage frames broke, bike frame required re-welding, lots of electric troubles.

Repetitive ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/a-bmw-competitor-for-the-silverwing-t2282-15.htm#20106 ).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:52 pm

56000 miles in a year in a car is a bit much, never mind a motorcycle. Still shouldn't have done all that, though. Honda would laugh at that. 56000 miles? There are gold wings out there with almost 4 times that much mileage and they still run fine. But then they are maintained according to sched. Proper maintenance is the key as any good operator, car or bike, knows.

As you said, John, the Japanese put out much better quality than the folks at BMW. At least concerning 2 wheelers.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Actually the reason I went with the Silverwing rather than a Bergman or anything else is many years experience with Honda bikes and other powered units. These folks make stuff that works and keeps on working. They may have fielded a bad one once in a blue moon but every Honda machine I've owned gave little or no trouble and performed excellently. I used to have a business restoring older, neglected Goldwings. Even when those bikes had been badly treated and neglected it usually didn't take much to get them road ready and reliable. There's an amazing number of 1975 GWs still used as daily riders. Suzuki and Kymco may be just as good but I know Honda will do the job. Now if only they could do a better job with their product support. You can take an old BMW to a dealer and have work done and parts support. Try that with a Honda even a $25,000 GW that's over 10 years old, they'll laugh at you.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 6:26 am

john grinsel wrote:
As somebody who rides scooter everyday and travel

John,

WE KNOW

WE GET THE MESSAGE

WE DON'T NEED REMINDING EVERY POST

And for the record I ride every day but find I don't need to climb every mountain and shout it.

I appreciate your posts but don't keep sounding off about your riding attributes. Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 am

Waspie wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
As somebody who rides scooter everyday and travel

John,

WE KNOW

WE GET THE MESSAGE

WE DON'T NEED REMINDING EVERY POST

And for the record I ride every day but find I don't need to climb every mountain and shout it.

I appreciate your posts but don't keep sounding off about your riding attributes. Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

+1

Theres a term we learned in sociology for this.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Tagg wrote:

+1

Theres a term we learned in sociology for this.

And it is probably not repeatable on a "family" forum. :flower: :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:58 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Hammy wrote:
...I now carry my impact wrench and spare belt with me in the trunk all the time.
Hammy have you ever weighed all of the extra stuff you carry? How much additional weight do you cart around?
I don't actually carry much stuff with me. The impact wrench is actually quite light and comes in a case and the whole thing is quite compact. Whole thing probably weighs no more than 4lbs or so. The belt, well, it's a belt. Then I just carry a few tools necessary to change the belt and oil, etc, plus a 1 gallon Rotopax, rainpants, raingloves, flashlight, electric flare and first aid kit. That's pretty much what's in my trunk. If I'm going on a long ride, I have big saddlebags for clothes, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing the drive belt   Changing the drive belt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing the drive belt
Page 1 of 1