Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Battery Failure

Go down 
+11
mouka
NWSSC
model28a
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
Deno070
steveisoft
LN
"Hi Yo"
johnd
jd70
15 posters
AuthorMessage
jd70
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jd70

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

Started bike first thing this morning and no problems went out a bit later bike would not start seems battery at fault?. Flat as a pancake.
Put same type of battery 12v from other honda CBF600 and bike going.
Is it battery or was it not being charged when riding.

Last edited by jd70 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jd70
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jd70

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am

meant to ask can the battery from Honda CBf 600 be used in Silverwing 600. It is same size
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Battery   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 am

I am not a motorcycle mechanic but did spend 7 years working on cars and I would say, yes you can use the battery.

I was going to try and answer your first question but you really did not have one.:lol!: 
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Battery Failure 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am

jd70 wrote:
meant to ask can the battery from Honda CBf 600 be used in Silverwing 600. It is same size
Is it the same type? Silver Wing uses a sealed battery designed to safely lie on it's side. There have been many discussions on this subject. Check the search function to see what others have done and different types of batteries.
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:18 pm

your alternator / stator may be going out. check the voltage while bike is running 13' ish V
Back to top Go down
steveisoft
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: New member   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 10:23 am

Bought a 2012 Silverwing and love it.

I am having battery issues (on my 3rd replacement).
I pulled the seat bulb out, but my batteries still go dead.
What is the name of the part that is equivalent to an Alternator?
I searched on BikeBandit.com but can't find an alternator.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 am

Steve, Welcome. This should have been posted as a new thread. One of the site Admin may move it. Once again welcome and enjoy the ride!!!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 11:45 am

Hey Steveisoft ... welcome aboard the board.

Deno070 is right, post a new thread when introducing a new topic.  Other wise you are "hijacking" a thread which unfortunately happens too frequently.

The benefit of starting a new thread is that in the future if someone else has the same question as yours, it's easier to search on that specific topic and the answer(s) are not buried in another thread dealing with a different topic.

BTW - the answer to your question is stator.

~ BugJr ~
Back to top Go down
steveisoft
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 1:38 pm

I've had this scoot for about 4 months and have lost 3 batteries.
Probably one was due to the seat compartment light (now removed).
But I suspect its my alternator, which parts should I try to replace?
stator? generator assbl - pulsor? other?

P.S. where is the alternator housing located?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 pm

There are test procedures in the FSM. You can meter check the stator at the 3-yellow-wire harness plug at the right side where the harness exits the stator housing.

The stator is located on the right side of the scoot in the engine case / stator housing (where the oil fill/dip stick is located) and immediately behind the swing arm pivot.

You may also be able to check the Regulator/Rectifier using the same 3-wire connector.

You really need a FSM. That said, you might find some test procedures for Honda charging systems on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 6:41 pm

steveisoft welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the net. The first thing I'd check is your voltage output. At the battery you should have around 12.5 volts when off, around 13.5 volts at idle or a little above idle and it should not get over 15 volts at 5,000 RPMs. If you are not getting good voltage then check the stator and the regulator/rectifier.
It would be nice if you went Here and introduced yourself.  Then you'd get a proper welcome from the forum members.

If you are looking forward to learning and plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum.
I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Battery problems   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Although operating differently from most automotive charging systems the Silverwing has a alternator to maintain the battery
voltage. Again this has been discuses here many times.Look up some of the older posts.If you think you have a battery draw the easiest way without a meter is to remove the negative battery cable
with the engine off, attach one end of a 12 volt test light to the cable and the other end to the (in series) to the battery. If the test light lights up you have a draw. You could momentarily turn the key on to make the light go on but do not try starting up.The other major component is the Regulator/Rectifier.Again check older posts for the details.  Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 5:34 pm

I have the same issue with my 2008 SilverWing. The previous owner purchased a Yuasa battery for over $200 installed from a Honda dealer last month. I took the bike several times out and never had any issues. Yesterday I tried cranking up the engine and nothing. Absolutely nothing. The battery is completely dead. I tried putting it on a trickle charger and only got it to 5.5 volts after 5 or 6 hours. My trickle charger is rated at 1.5 Amps.
Is this a bad battery or is it some more serious issue?
I have had serious issues locking the seat and I suspect that I have left the seat unlocked several times.
I will take out the light bulb under the seat because in my opinion it is useless and if the seat is not locked properly, it will stay on and drain the battery.
But can a battery go dead after only a month on the bike? I have seen drained batteries but they all come back to life once they are left long enough on a charger.
I am completely puzzled by this issue.
The bike has exactly 9331 miles on the clock. So I don't think it could be the alternator or the regulator that have gone bad.
Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-11-09

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 2:40 am

Hi
I don't know about the bike batteries but I have used yuasa batteries on my jet ski and found if they are allowed to drop below 1v per cell they just die. I have had these batteries die on me after only a couple of months and then been replaced under warrenty only for that to die as well. Other brands have performed a lot better. In the UK Yuasa batteries are a bit of a budget battery.
regards Denzil
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 am

My 09 came with a Yuasa batterie. It worked well till I crossed the wires last winter on my charger,that left my batterie with 3 volts .I purchase another Yuasa batterie.I decided to leave the trickle charger on for a week and the batterie came back to life with 13.8 volts .My riding  lawn more battery died and I placed the old Yuasa in and is working fine .It can take more then a week to charge a frozen batterie .IMO Yuasa batterie are good batteries,and was surprise that my old batterie came back to life.
Back to top Go down
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 12:20 pm

I went to my honda dealer and had the battery replaced. No questions asked.
I will swap it with my Honda Aero 750 battery that is also sealed but by design can be drained and comes back to life fairly easily. I will remove that stupid light from under the seat and I hope that solves the issue once and for all.
I will report back in a few weeks!
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 1:55 pm

my yuasa failed like that and my underseat light does not have a bulb, replaced it and its been fine, still have the old yuasa so might try leaving it on charge for a wek
Back to top Go down
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 2:06 pm

I have replaced the failed Yuasa. I measured the battery and it said 12.8 V. I did a check and measured 14.21 V when the engine is on. If I rev up the engine it reports 14.57.
Once I turned off the engine and measured the battery by itself, it had 13.36 V. So my guess is that the charging system is working fine. I think I just had a bad battery that's all.
Back to top Go down
steveisoft
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

I measured the output with the bike running and its > 14v, so I'm not going to touch the alternator (saved $200 there) Smile

But something seems to be draining my battery. I don't have a seat lamp anymore Twisted Evil, so what are the choices? I'm going to wire in a cut-off switch so I can disconnect the battery easily when not in use.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 4:54 pm

I'd sure give Howard's (NWSSC) bulb test a try. Even better use a meter for the test. A battery cut-off switch is going to cause your clock and trip meters to reset.

Tim
Back to top Go down
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 6:12 pm

I thought that if I measured the output while the engine was on and it reported something greater than 13 V I am in the green. But after I saw Steve-i-Soft post I am not so sure any more.
I will keep on riding my bike and monitoring the battery and report back. I hope that it was just a bad battery.
Back to top Go down
hawkeye3guns
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-11-09

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 2:57 am

Hi all
What can happen to batteries especially "sealed Gel cells" is a single cell can go down. and although the battery voltage reads good, the actual amperage is drastically reduced. The only way to test is to use the old drop test method where you place a large load across the battery and read the load drop a good battery will sustaine the load for a few minutes. A bad battery or a cell down the drop off is quite quick. I have used sealed cell lead acid batteries now for about 30 odd years in jet ski's and large scale RC models. A simple test is to get a large high amperage headlight bulb (say a 100W) and put it across the battery and time the drop in brightness a good battery will proberly give you about 5-6 minutes. if a cell is down the brightness will drop almost straight away.
Denzil
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 am

Awhile back I posted test procedures for stator output. I also inculded info for a well regarded shop to rewind your own stator at a price lower than either Honda or discounted Honda parts suppliers.

Use the Search box feature for 'Bad Stator' to find the post(s).

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 8:05 pm

If you find out your regulator/rectifier is bad CLICK Here and you'll find an aftermarket one for $45.99 with free shipping.
I have not used one of these or dealt with the seller so buy/use at your own risk. I'm just passing along an option to OEM.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I thought I was having problems with my battery. Several times I went to it and as I turned the key the bike turned over but wouldn't fire. The voltages seemed fine or possibly a little low but when I put the keys back in and tried again the bike started fine so I guessed an intermittent fault. I got the battery tested and it came up fine! I rode back home and suddenly had one of those lightbulb moments. on my keyring I have 3 electronic keys for some secure units I have to visit and it would seem that the HISS system was getting confused by them being next to the sensor round the key hole. I lit them on a slightly longer link key ring and the problem is solved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery Failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Failure   Battery Failure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Failure
Page 1 of 1