Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rubber inlet tube

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 11:41 pm

I inspected the air filter yesterday and I think it should be entered in the Guinnes Book of World Records for the highest amount of screws Laughing. I noticed that the rubber induction tube inside the airbox is easily removable, are there any benefits (performance wise) in doing so? The reason is that it's a common mod done to my other bike and it is supposed to increase airflow to the engine if used with performance filters such as K&N.
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am

I'm surprised nobody answered this post as I thought it would be a common mod. I'm sure I've seen a video or pic of the airbox with holes drilled on the side, and most certainly with the tube removed.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I've done both the airbox drilling and inlet tube removal because I have a K & N air filter installed and I also have modified my exhaust for less restriction. If there is a performance increase I think only a dynamometer test would show it.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Yes, I have seen photos where people have drilled holes in the air box too. I'm not sure if there is any benefit but some have also added new 'free flowing' exhausts

Is there any reason for the cover at all, isn't the filter held in place by two screws... As a short term test maybe the air box cover could be left off and see if there is any difference before drilling holes in it. That should give maximum airflow, I believe the ECU will adjust the fuel mixture according to the exhaust sensor.

But I'm no expert, just throwing an idea out there for comments Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm

RArch wrote:

Is there any reason for the cover at all, isn't the filter held in place by two screws...

Water protection and intake sound control
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 2:51 pm

rollsroyce250 wrote:
RArch wrote:

Is there any reason for the cover at all, isn't the filter held in place by two screws...

Water protection and intake sound control

Shouldn't cause a problem for a controlled short term test that I had in mind...

But are valid reasons for not over doing the hole drilling, OK some people may like the extra intake sound.

What did you have in mind on the water protection, as in what is the cause? Is it rain/wet road splashes... Wouldn't the side cover keep that out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 1:02 am

The filter itself is held by 2 screws but the cover is held by much more. I wouldn't go as far as totally removing the cover as it also seals and holds the filter more securely. I would have to agree that only having the scooter on a Dyno would tell if there are any improvements on performance, depending on where the restrictions are. The removal of the tube would probably benefit more with other mods such as a K&N type air filter and a free flowing exhaust. Some mods only seem to increase performance for the simple reason they increase decibels when in fact they may be reducing it at certain ranges in the RPMs. I thought that some owners may have already dynoed their scooter before and after certain mods giving that the Silver Wing has been around for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rubber inlet tube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rubber inlet tube   Rubber inlet tube I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rubber inlet tube
Page 1 of 1