Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

clutch replacement

Go down 
+8
lloyd193
Siataukreg
bigbird
Cosmic_Jumper
yammer
Silver Dave K
tinman
moonshiner
12 posters
AuthorMessage
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

clutch replacement  Empty
PostSubject: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:22 am

I don't see much discussion or info on the clutch ,how hard is it to change the clutch on the swing when you change the belt and variator ? do you need a special tool , dose it ever need replacement or maintenance ?

keith
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 6:08 am

The only thing needed for clutch maintenance is to sand the shoes with some sand paper or emery cloth to take the glaze off . Lock in the parking brake remove the nut and remove the clutch . Inside the bell there is a bearing that need to be grease with your finger and the end of the clutch where it sit's in the casing bearing for a dust seal.Other then that there is the clutch springs but not for a long time .I see no need for Dr pulley hit clutch unless for modification performance.There are different colour spring weights for rpm engagement.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks Tinman ,

I have a virtually new OEM clutch , belt and variator on my parts wing to use to rebuild the drivetrain ....

keith

Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:46 pm

I replaced everything today , its scary , it rides like a brand new one , no vibration what so ever , as smooth as my goldwings if not smoother , you could push the belt together till it touched in the middle , has anyone had a belt that stretched and wore this much with out breaking ?

I think anyone with vibrations on a swing should look at the belt, variator and the clutch...

keith
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am

Can you install the HIT clutch with out a bunch of special tools? Any video's on line?
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 1:38 pm

kreiseldave wrote:
Can you install the HIT clutch with out a bunch of special tools? Any video's on line?

It's not in english but you get the idea.

Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 3:36 pm

I guess what your saying is yes you need special tools.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful tool. I wonder where it came from? It does not appear to be a 'official' Honda factory tool. It looks like that tool set adapts to both removing as well as reinstalling the clutch bell.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 5:19 pm

kreiseldave wrote:

The video shows the clutch inner being removed after the clutch outer and clutch itself have been removed from the rear drive. You don't need that special tool if you want to pull just the clutch. That special tool, or Honda's own special tool, is only needed to remove the clutch bell, or clutch inner, as it's called in the service manual.

Regarding installation of an HIT clutch, if the HIT uses the stock Honda clutch inner, then no special tools will be needed. AFAIK, the Dr. Pulley HIT clutch uses the stock Honda clutch inner. I have never installed or even seen a Dr. Pulley HIT clutch, so I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank You! I am installing a HIT clutch.....
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Here's another video on clutch maintenance, again, not in English but very detailed.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 pm

kreiseldave wrote:
Thank You! I am installing a HIT clutch.....

Pretty straight forward replacement. No special tools required. You may want to get a hooked, T-handled, spring puller so that you can remove the clutch and push-pin springs easier to sort out the initial and lock-up engagement to your liking.

If the instructions which came with your HIT kit aren't clear on the matter, all the springs are interchangeable between the clutch and the push-pins. Lighter on the clutch, heavier on the push pins.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks so much for the help!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Does anyone know what the thread size of the clutch drum is or where to get a tool to remove the drum
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 pm

siataukreg wrote:
Does anyone know what the thread size of the clutch drum is or where to get a tool to remove the drum

Honda's service manual list the part number for the great tool used to remove and install the clutch bell, I have used mine for many years and it works today as well as it did 15 years ago. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 pm

do you know the part no for it ?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 8:57 pm

siataukreg wrote:
do you know the part no for it ?

Thread size is 40mm x 1 mm

Part # 07ZMC-MCT0100 or 07MC-MCTA100 (USA only)

I have no idea why the part # difference for USA.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dave B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2020-07-01

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 11:18 am

I think my SW600 clutch needs replacement, but I am a little surprised as the bike has only done 26000km. I first noticed something was not right cruising down the motorway the other day at 110-120km/hr engine speed was 6000rpm, where usually it sits around 5000rpm. The drive belt was changed 4000km ago, so normally it's not the belt slippage otherwise the indictor light would come up on the dash (engine turning faster than the back wheel). While stationary and the engine running, I applied the rear break to see if the engine would stall when I opened the throttle. All I got was a burning smell (assume the clutch), but the engine did not stall. Sometime ago I changed the sliders for a lighter weight, not sure that was a good idea. Acceleration was a bit better but not fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 2:37 pm

It could be belt or clutch slipping. There has been some debate about using lighter weight sliders causing over-revving of the engine. I had this problem when using 26g Dr Pulley sliders but in my case the V-light came on. I reverted back to stock rollers.

Check the belt and the clutch action. Also make sure that grease isn't seeping into the clutch shoe area.

Just my ten-bobs' worth scratch
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 7:34 pm

If you find that your clutch bell is scored and in need of replacement, below is a link to a DIY tool that Dave Kitchenman Batter made up to remove his clutch bell. Kind of bad pictures on that link but if you drop Kitchenman a PM I’m sure he’ll grace you with better copies.

And also an excellent tool assembled by Loosemarbles for the same job.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t12369-tool-to-remove-clutch-bell?highlight=Clutch+bell

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10987-clutch-bell-how-to-remove-replace?highlight=Clutch+bell
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 2:48 am

If you go too light weights they do leave the engine reving higher at that speed range - a higher engine speed at any given ground speed is how lighter weights gain better acceleration. It has been suggested that going too light will not allow the engine to reach it's top ratio.
It is one of the reasons I came away from 25gm Dr Pulley sliders.
In all probability your bike is fine.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 5:16 pm

Dave B wrote:
I first noticed something was not right cruising down the motorway the other day at 110-120km/hr engine speed was 6000rpm, where usually it sits around 5000rpm.  

At 6000rpm, your clutch weights are experiencing something like 2000g. At that speed the clutch is as locked up as it will ever be - even if it is as bad as mine was with no friction material left on it.

In any case, the clutch weights or shoes have nothing to do with the gear ratio that the vario system achieves. Don't be distracted.

Opening up the drive cover is not a big deal (I changed my clutch shoes last month) so having a look might be worth while. Have a look at your pulley weights and make sure they're not worn: check the weight of them and check them for flats worn on them.

Belt wear will also change your drive ratio; more wear means a lower drive ratio and more revs as the narrower belt sits deeper into the front pulley and the rear pulley increases in diameter to take up the slack.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 12:53 pm

And while it's open put the original weights back in to see if that brings the revs back down.
If it does you know it's just the nature of the beast with your light weights, if not start looking at other things, but try the simple stuff first.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 1:42 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
And while it's open put the original weights back in to see if that brings the revs back down.
If it does you know it's just the nature of the beast with your light weights, if not start looking at other things, but try the simple stuff first.

Does anyone do or has anyone tried heavy weights for the SW?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 3:23 pm

smellybeard wrote:
Does anyone do or has anyone tried heavy weights for the SW?

Yes. I tried 30gm weights.

I got very much improved fuel economy but had painfully slow acceleration (from ~45 mph) when trying to pass slower vehicles ahead —and that was on a flat smooth highway.

IMO If you are just putting around town 30gm weights will probably be acceptable.

I can’t quite wrap my head how those folks with JDM Silverwings get on with 30 gm weights as they were OEM weights for that market.

FWIW variator weights can be mixed. Alternating 30gm weights with OEM 28 gm weights would get an effective 29 weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: clutch replacement    clutch replacement  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

clutch replacement
Page 1 of 1