Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Time for an automatic Goldwing?

Go down 
+7
GHM-PM
dspevack
Meldrew
hotwings
stanly
Gyro
toolboxjesse
11 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Time for an automatic Goldwing? Empty
PostSubject: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:46 am

I know this might sound like blasphemy to non-scooter and touring bike riders, but why doesn't Honda offer an automatic transmission Goldwing? They currently offer a dual-clutch automatic transmission in 2 or 3 bikes (VFR1200, NC700X, Honda DN-01), albeit not a scooter-style dry CVT, but wouldn't that open the market up to riders who don't want a conventional transmission, or would like to have the option for a semi-auto?
it's just interesting to me with all of the Goldwing's technical innovations (Navi, TPMS, airbag) they don't even offer this as an option.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 11:54 am

I don't see why not. Can-Am offers an automatic transmission. Those machines are big enough to accommodate a full, multi-speed transmission w/reverse, and not just a simple CV setup like the maxi-scooters use.
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

GW is top of line flagship, Honda seems to try out every new tech on VFR first. Considering first 2yrs of DCT experience we should say thank you.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Stanly- Is the DCT on the VFR problematic, or are you referring to the DN-01? If the latter I think the style of the bike was the deal-breaker (low-slung cruiser with strange design cues, no protection, no storage and uncomfortable seat).

Jesse
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Something is wrong with my computer i've been directed to this goldwing forum.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I just though my thought process might gain some sympathy on this forum. I'm afraid that I might get Goldwing riders showing up at my door with torches and pitchforks if i post that question on one of their forums.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
I know this might sound like blasphemy to non-scooter and touring bike riders, but why doesn't Honda offer an automatic transmission Goldwing? They currently offer a dual-clutch automatic transmission in 2 or 3 bikes (VFR1200, NC700X, Honda DN-01), albeit not a scooter-style dry CVT, but wouldn't that open the market up to riders who don't want a conventional transmission, or would like to have the option for a semi-auto?

A lot of maxi riders in the UK with an Auto only licence opt for a DCT transmission Honda usually the NC700X, or the Aprilia Mana 850 as their way into motorcycles rather than get a licence to ride bikes with manual gears. Honda must have thought they were on a winner with the DN-01 and it was a complete sales disaster for them, so why would they risk an auto gearbox in their flagship tourer. If you want to ride a big heavy tourer with a semi-auto gearbox there's the Yamaha FJR 1200AS.

Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm

It need not be standard. I could be offered as an option such as on the VFR and NC. Just think of the riders they could attract from the "seasoned citizens" and the "fairer sex" who don't want to deal with clutching & shifting.

J
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Well the "seasoned citizens” end up on here with a Silver Wing when weight becomes an issue, and what's the problem with clutches gear changing for women. For example on your side of the Atlantic there's a grandma from Texas in her 70’s called Ardys Kellerman who's a bit of a riding legend in the IBA circles who's probably clocked up more miles on her BMW's than than the Grinse! Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm

There is virtually no option on a Goldwing that you cannot put on a silverwing.
In addition, there isn't much you can do capability-wise with a Goldwing that you can't do with a Silverwing.

The SW retails at $9300 the GW $24K: I could fully option out a SW including turbocharging for under 8k. and go toe to toe with GW in almost every category.

You can carry two people pull a trailer have plenty of storage space, get heated everything, radio and NAV, etc. on either bike.

The only thing the GW has going for it that the SW doesn't is engine size if that means anything to you. And if necessary, you can turbocharge a Silverwing to add about 30 horsepower. (SW is rated at 50 hp, 42 @ rear wheel) for a total of around 70hp at the rear wheel. The GW's 118 hp (sources say around 93 rear wheel hp. ) is significantly greater, but then so is the mass (GW:900-933lbs SW541lbs). And the SW gets about 10mpg better.

While it certainly would be nice if the SW upgraded to the DN=01 transmission, the strength of the tranny may be a limiting factor relative to the torque/power of the GW engine.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:01 am

I read an article some time back, sorry can't remember where exactly (old-timers disease I guess). Anyway it was an article written by a motorcycle magazine reporter and his comment was that he felt within the next 5 years the majority of two-wheelers will be automatic in some form or another.

Now I am not saying I agree with him BUT it was interesting to me that a MOTORCYCLE guy could see this coming...

Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:12 am

Simple fact is that as much as I love my Hondas (bikes and cars) and my Silver Wing in general, and given I've done quite a bit of touring with it (and added a nav system, satellite radio, bluetooth headset with remote, back rest, air hawk, top case, saddle bags etc.) I still don't consider it a real long-distance machine like the Goldwing is. I was shopping for a Goldwing this summer/fall and also looking at a BMW K1600 and rode both. The simple fact is that for roughly the same price, the BMW is the superior bike. Honda needs something else to set it apart, such as lowering the bar of entry that an automatic transmission would provide.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 11:44 am

Where I live in Southern California the hi-way patrol bought all BMW's about three years ago and according to 1 officer I talked to, the sale price was great but when it came time for service, the department took it in the shorts so hard, that they are getting rid of all of them. He loves his Honda St 1300.
Do you know what BMW stands for? Bring me you wallet. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 1:57 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
Stanly- Is the DCT on the VFR problematic, or are you referring to the DN-01? If the latter I think the style of the bike was the deal-breaker (low-slung cruiser with strange design cues, no protection, no storage and uncomfortable seat).

Jesse

The VFR1200 DCT wasn't totally integrated the first 2 years.
changes for 2012:
1. instead of restricting engine below 4000 rpm in gears 1&2 to prevent spinning rear tire – traction control
2. instead of switching to manual mode after forcing a shift – stay in auto mode
3. raise shift points
Of the three 1. was the most annoying, imagine being leaned out until 4000 rpm when u need a sudden burst of power. There were other minor changes made to the bike for 2012, attempting to respond to critical input. Still most reviewers agreed – impressive piece of technology.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I read an article some time back, sorry can't remember where exactly (old-timers disease I guess). Anyway it was an article written by a motorcycle magazine reporter and his comment was that he felt within the next 5 years the majority of two-wheelers will be automatic in some form or another.

Now I am not saying I agree with him BUT it was interesting to me that a MOTORCYCLE guy could see this coming...

Time will tell.
I've also heard the same thing for the last 10 years. I'm still waiting. Every so often that idea will float around scooter forums and we'll all get our hopes up. Yet each model year we'll see only one or two bikes out of all the hundred or so of the annual buyers guide that is automatic. I honestly don't see that development for another 15 years or so, unfortunately. You'd have to get passed all the dumb gearheads that frequent biker rallies that think that automatic tranny is for sissies- like the comments HD guys have about Ridley bikes.
But, one wonders how they would feel if Harley Davidson bikes started to integrate them. All of a sudden it would be cool Rolling Eyes
Still, the GW is the perfect bike to go to auto since it already has so many comfort features already.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 7:29 pm

It wouldn't break my heart if my GW1800 had an automatic transmission. I don't mind shifting but when you get down to it the only vehicles I have that I prefer a manual shift in is my Jeep and my 3/4T Ford that hauls heavy trailers. The jeep for crawling on some pretty rough trails and the truck because towing a lot tends to cause transmission problems. I'd want a more substantial auto tranny on the big Wing though. I don't see why they couldn't go whole hog with a torque convertor set up. I'd also prefer a separate engine and tranny design if it could be done without adding very much to the weight and size of the power plant.
I like my SW it's the champ in town but when the trip is 100 miles or so nothing beats a GW. I've ridden BMW's tourer but didn't find it as comfortable, it feels top heavy in slow maneuvering compared to the Honda flagship too. No doubt the BMW is a bit more sporty but the 1800 isn't very far behind in the twisties either.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 1:49 am

I love wings , gold and silver , and own both , my goldwings are old GL 1000 's a 76 and a 79 , they handle like a bus , and are not that much fun to ride , but i still love em , call me sentimental , I thought I would never like a bike with a auto tranny , but I do , and I never thought in a million years I would love a scooter , but I did , I can't see myself buying a new goldwing with or without a auto tans even if I could afford one , cause even a 44 I am quite a broken down old biker , the goldwings are just to heavy for me to enjoy riding and I plan to trike them out , but the swing is just right , its the one I find myself jumping on if I am just going to the store or a 500 mile ride , I call it my SUV "silverwing utility vehicle" , nope this is not a passing fad , I am broke hard to the silverwing ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for an automatic Goldwing?   Time for an automatic Goldwing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for an automatic Goldwing?
Page 1 of 1