Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cooling Fan Not Running?

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
tinman
Dimond
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Cooling Fan Not Running? Empty
PostSubject: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Todays project is (starting ) to get my cooling fan running. Don't think it has been running for quite some time. Never got above 3 bars on the temperature gauge - but still want it to run. Tested my fan relay - all is good. Applied voltage to fan - it did not run. Got up to the point of disconnecting upper and lower radiator hoses and removed radiator from the frame. Next step is to pull the radiator out and disconnect the upper (second upper) radiator hose - but the radiator hose seems to have no free play to pull it out so that I can access the last (of 3) radiator hose clamp connected to the radiator. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull off more tupperware to get to this connection?

On my last SWing - when I shut down engine (still energized) - the cooling fan ran (until I turned the key off). Just wondering WHEN the cooling fan is energized to run? All the time? When it get to certain temeperature level? Under other conditions?

Now that I have the cooling system apart - anything I should replace to be ahead of the failure curve - such as thermostat, hoses, cooling pump parts, etc?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 pm

IMO your fan is fin, If you think you have a problem ,disconnect the fan and run it direct,if it run let it be or replace the temp switch for your peace of mine.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:30 pm

There is a 2 wire connector for the fan motor harness located behind the front cover. Blue and Black wires. Perhaps you can apply 12V to the fan motor side of that connector and get the motor to operate.

The other end of those wires are connected to the fan motor relay which is one of the twin relays behind the front cover (front end body work) which possibly may be reached by removing the windscreen garnish.

AFAIK The fan motor relay is triggered by a circuit in the meter panel ECU which gets a 0 to 5V feed from the ECT Sensor (temp switch). The sensor is a negative temperature coefficient potentiometer.

FWIW all of the relays on the scoot are interchangeable. So you can unplug one and use it to test a circuit. HTH

Tim

Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:52 am

Dimond wrote:
Got up to the point of disconnecting upper and lower radiator hoses and removed radiator from the frame. Next step is to pull the radiator out and disconnect the upper (second upper) radiator hose - but the radiator hose seems to have no free play to pull it out so that I can access the last (of 3) radiator hose clamp connected to the radiator. Any suggestions? Do I need to pull off more tupperware to get to this connection?

My big question is how to disconnet that last (of three) hoses from the radiator - guessing I need to take more (than stated in manual) plastic off the bike?
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 1:34 pm

My fan is OK, my fan relay is OK - but fan never seems to run. When I had my 2003SWing I could hear the fan run every time I stopped and turned off the igniction. My current (2008) Swing fan never does this. On both my SWings the temperature indicator registers 3 bars - so guessing there is nothing wrong with my temperature sensor. When do you hear your fan runnnig?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Very rarely and whether here in Florida gets hot. Yesterday I put 150 miles on my SilverWing and don't remember hearing it run. I think I have only had it come on one time this year when I stopped and turned off the ignition. We have had some hot, high 90s days so far. It was 97 last Friday.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Like you said for your old 2003, my 2009 starts almost immediately whenever I pull up at traffic lights and the gauge never goes above 3 bars.

Have you ever left it ticking over to see if the fan ever comes on?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 6:59 pm

RArch wrote:

Have you ever left it ticking over to see if the fan ever comes on?

Next really hot day I will park the SWing in the sun and get things really hot - then check to see if the far (ever) comes on.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 2:34 pm

My wife bought a used Majesty last year. Noticed that the fan did not run. Discovered the metal frame of the fan was slightly bent, preventing it from turning. Stuck a washer under the screw, squaring up the frame, and it worked fine. The fan itself never had any problems.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 4:07 pm

the only time I hear my fan run is when its like 90+ degrees outside and I am stuck behind slowpokes going 20 mph uphill or sitting at a red-light , otherwise it hardly ever runs , and the temp gauge never goes past halfway ....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooling Fan Not Running?   Cooling Fan Not Running? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cooling Fan Not Running?
Page 1 of 1