Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to forum - still shopping for a scooter

Go down 
+5
joncallihan
JeffR_
hotwings
model28a
Gyro
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

New to forum - still shopping for a scooter Empty
PostSubject: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi!

This looks like a great forum. I'm not yet a S'wing owner, but I'm shopping around. I want to find a good, low-mileage S'wing or *cough* Burgman to use as the donor for a trike conversion. Since I'll be doing the work myself, I'll probably go with an outrigger style such as the Danson. I like the looks of the Danson kit over other kits such as the Tow-Pac. I like the Yelvington true trike conversion, but it looks way more complex (and expensive!) than anything I care to tackle.

I was actually lead to the S'wing conversion idea after looking over the low-priced, underpowered Chinese trikes sold under various names.

Any tips, tricks, encouragements, etc. are welcomed and encouraged. Smile

Gyro
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Gyro, welcome to the forum. welcome
The Yelvington kit is not that hard to put on. And I don't think the Yelvington kit cost is that much more than the other kits. It might be worth looking into the Yelvington, it is a fine work of art.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 pm

model28a wrote:
Gyro, welcome to the forum. welcome
The Yelvington kit is not that hard to put on. And I don't think the Yelvington kit cost is that much more than the other kits. It might be worth looking into the Yelvington, it is a fine work of art.

Thanks for the welcome. I sent Yelvington a request for more info & pricing yesterday. I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Is that you Mr.Miyagi?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Gyro,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it. There is a member here "joncallihan" that is selling his trike. You may want to get in touch with him. He lives in New Mexico I believe.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks, JeffR. Colorado, just north of Denver.

Jon

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Welcome Gyro! Keep us posted on you progress, especially if you fined a trike kit and put it on.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 pm

wis-rider wrote:
Welcome Gyro! Keep us posted on you progress, especially if you fined a trike kit and put it on.

I've found a 2010 S'wing with ridiculously low mileage just about 100 miles away! Now, if it hasn't already sold and the owner wil PLEASE, PLEASE get back to me. My local Honda dealer has offered to transport it home for me, but I'm thinking I could take an hour to familiarize myself with the scoot, then carefully ride it home. It's been 35 years since I owned a motorcycle, but I rode a lot back then, even cross-country.

Is riding it home 100 miles a stoopid idea? It's a straight shot down US69 on a divided highway.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Just take it easy and allow yourself plenty of stops. (Gives you time to think about how you are riding and what improvements (if any) you need to incorporate into your riding). 100 miles with a stock screen and you'll be after a Givi Airflow pdq.

Mind you a free delivery from what sounds a good dealer (hard to come by) then take advantage of it. At least you can choose when to ride it (how is the weather where you are?), and for how long.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 pm

If you give yourself time I think you would be able to ride it home. If you have ridden in the past, it will all come right back to you. I went for a ride last week just because the weather was good and I put on over 50 miles before I knew it. Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 pm

If your looking for a trike kit ,take a look at Trigg trike kit . I ordered one for my Swing April 1 and will take 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.It comes with a fibber glass body,and 15" rimes.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Just take it easy and allow yourself plenty of stops. (Gives you time to think about how you are riding and what improvements (if any) you need to incorporate into your riding). 100 miles with a stock screen and you'll be after a Givi Airflow pdq.

Mind you a free delivery from what sounds a good dealer (hard to come by) then take advantage of it. At least you can choose when to ride it (how is the weather where you are?), and for how long.

Cheers,

Oh, they didn't offer to transport it for free! Shocked

I'm looking at a local 2009 with a trike kit already on it tomorrow. the Honda salesman arranged it and is accompanying me to visit the owner. It's only 20 miles away. She wants to upgrade to a GL1800 trike the dealer has.
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Hey that sounds like it is just what you want. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm

wis-rider wrote:
Hey that sounds like it is just what you want. Good luck!

1. Is the price right?

2. Is the mileage acceptable?

I was planning to spend my money in two separate stages, scooter first, then the trike kit after the bank account has had time to recover a bit. Cool
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Gyro,

You should be fine but just be careful about the power. The SWing is a pretty powerful bike and if anyone thinks it is just a scooter you could get into trouble. I rode m/c's too for a long time and I was amazed at the power, and this is after coming off a reflex and majesty.

You should pm jon callihan about his trike he is selling. I remember all the posts of his when he decided on a trike and he has always been a very upstanding member here. Not to put any pressure on you though. The people here who have triked out their bikes seem to really like them. Gary (opalsboy) did the same and loves it.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 pm

I've talked to Jon about his trike. The biggest problem there is that we are 700 miles apart!

Unfortunately, the owner of that S'wing with the stupid low miles has not replied to my request yet. Neutral
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Gyro wrote:
I was planning to spend my money in two separate stages, scooter first, then the trike kit after the bank account has had time to recover a bit. Cool
That was my plan also, but I have put over 42,000 miles on my Wing waiting to get enough money for one. I think I can do it now.
Did Yelvington get back to you? I think the Yelvington kit cost about a thousand dollars more than the other kits out there but it is a "true" trike. Last week the local dealer I deal with installed one on a Burgman 650 and is looked sweat. I know the man who had it put on and he is going to let me ride it this Thursday. The local dealer is going to put one on a Silverwing the end or this week or the first of next week. After I ride my friends Burgman and then see the Silverwing kit(I may get to ride Wing as I know him too) I will hopefully decide what I am going to do.
One advantage I have is the Yelvington kit is made here local so if any problems come up I can have them deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Yelvington has not responded to my request yet.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Update: The trike my local Honda dealer wanted to show me was priced too high and was fitted with a Pro-Pac kit. (not my #1 choice)

HOWEVER....I've located another 2009 with very low miles that is fitted with a beautiful Danson kit. (My #1 preference) The price is good. I'm going to look at it this weekend, and unless I find something horribly wrong with it, I intend to ride it home.
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Great! Let us know how it goes. If you buy it, just be careful riding it home that you don't get cramps in your face from all that SMILING!
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 pm

wis-rider wrote:
Great! Let us know how it goes. If you buy it, just be careful riding it home that you don't get cramps in your face from all that SMILING!

Isn't there an old saying that you can always tell a happy rider by his bug-stained grin? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Just an FYI, I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in over 10 years (okay, 15) when I bought my Silver Wing, sight unseen over 100 miles away in Kentucky.

I had no problem jumping on the swing and riding it home after a few minutes putt-putting around the parking lot.

If you have any motorcycle experience at all, the swing is ridiculously easy to ride. Well it was for me, and I ain't no rocket surgeon.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
Just an FYI, I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in over 10 years (okay, 15) when I bought my Silver Wing, sight unseen over 100 miles away in Kentucky.

I had no problem jumping on the swing and riding it home after a few minutes putt-putting around the parking lot.

If you have any motorcycle experience at all, the swing is ridiculously easy to ride. Well it was for me, and I ain't no rocket surgeon.

This one has training wheels, so it can't be that hard! (I'm in my second childhood. It's appropriate that my scooter have training wheels!)

I'm gonna be like this until Sunday... bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm

wis-rider wrote:

Wow, a textbook BurgmanUSA type quote! Wink
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Update! I'm gonna be like this -> bounce <- only until Friday!!!

On Friday, this becomes mine!

New to forum - still shopping for a scooter 77122_10152735176825472_254830879_n
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Gyro,

Congrats and it is a great looking scoot. I bet you can't wait until Friday. You're going to really like the SWing.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 am

You pic a real fast colour ,I guest you will be singing ( One More Day) All day to day. Smile chickendance motorcycle
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 am

Great looking bike! Happy Riding!
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 pm

YAY!

New to forum - still shopping for a scooter 535926_10152739837265472_471877696_n

I even got my wife to go for a short ride around the neighborhood. Smile
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 pm

YAAAAAAAY!!!!!! You look right at home on that beauty!
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 pm

I've re-introduced myself and posted a link to more pics. This wannabe thread can die now. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Very nice is your rear driving wheel a MC or a CT tire ? Most trike conversion go with the longer lasting CT tire. You will have to remove the kit to do a belt change,hope you have all the info to do it yourself.Let us know how you like your swing.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm

The trike only has 2,400 miles on it and is still running factory rubber front and rear. I'll go with a Darkside tire when it's time to replace the factory rubber, but I see no sense in changing it before it's needed.

Danson sent me a .pdf file of their installation manual so I can remove the kit when needed to replace the drive belt. Hopefully, that will not be for at least another 14,000 miles, more or less.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to forum - still shopping for a scooter   New to forum - still shopping for a scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to forum - still shopping for a scooter
Page 1 of 1