Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Handlebar Vibration

Go down 
+8
Opalsboy
JeffR
masscoot
honda_silver
DickO
matthew
skiwoods
Cornishman
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Handlebar Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 am

Hi all. I'd love to hear from someone who has resolved handlebar vibration problems. My hands get numb after riding for about three hours. Any suggestions, either mechanical or physical would be appreciated. I've already tried ibuprophen. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

Hi, I suspect that you're holding the grips too hard. You only need a light touch to steer.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Grip Puppies will solve your vibration problem. They are under $10, free shipping, easy to install, and they absorb vibration. One of my favorite modifications and by far the cheapest!

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=grips
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks, Gene. I have heated grips, so I'll have to do some research to see whether they can be used together.

I don't think I'm holding the grips too tightly. I did when I first started riding, but that was a while ago. Do you know anything about the handlebar weights?
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Someone else wrote about using pieces of gel foot pad - like Dr. Scholl's - in their gloves for this reason. I went ahead and bought the cheapest regular cushion insole I could find, cut roughly palm-sized pieces, stuck them in my gloves and VOILA, a fantastic difference. I'd say 85%-90% of the troubling vibration sensation is gone. A much more comfortable ride. After trying this out for a few hundred miles, I went ahead and glued these pieces into the glove with some craft glue stick I had laying around.

For me, this insert has no interference with gripping or riding in any way, just adds a little cushioning on the hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:10 pm

The inner soles inside the gloves sound like a really good thing to try. I see that you have foam grips as well. Do you this that makes a difference also? Do you know anything about the weights?
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm

I haven't tried new bar end weights, so I can't speak to that. Others seem to think it can help.

The foam grips are an inexpensive aid for both vibration reduction and grip widening. The stock grips are pretty narrow, so many people like to add some thickness. Makes for a more relaxed hand, in my opinion. JC Whitney sells a pair for about $7, but you'll pay another $7 for shipping unless you buy other stuff, etc. California Sport Touring sells the Grip Puppies that a lot of folks seem to like. I haven't tried these myself, but I intend to when mine need replacing. They're now selling for $9.20 with free shipping. Absolutely worth it, if you ask me. Oh! You did!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:05 pm

I have seen gloves that a rider was wearing that already have the 'gel' pads built right in. You may want to see if you can find them at one of the rider apparel stores. The guy I talked to said his hands aren't bothered at all now.

Oh....! and welcome to the "forumotion"..
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Emeskay wrote:
The inner soles inside the gloves sound like a really good thing to try. I see that you have foam grips as well. Do you this that makes a difference also? Do you know anything about the weights?

Here are some posts with my details:

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=28123#pid28123

Manic Salamander weights:
http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=26592#pid26592
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 9:30 pm

I solved my numbness and cramping with a set of these. ISO Grips

I found these several years ago and thought they would work quite well as they were designed to prevent numbness. I have a too many gloves types and only two hands so these never made it to my collection Embarassed QwiTM Nerve Protection Motorcycle Glove
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 pm

You might also try adjusting your handle bars either higher or lower. I did that and it seemed to lessen the numbness I would get at times. Just a suggestion though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Grip puppies   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 am

I just got my grip puppies in the mail late today. I haven't had time to install them. I will soon.
Gary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 am

Jeff,

JeffR wrote:
You might also try adjusting your handle bars either higher or lower. I did that and it seemed to lessen the numbness I would get at times. Just a suggestion though.

Do you suggest raising or lowering. I have the book at home to tell me how to do this.

M-
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

masscoot wrote:
I solved my numbness and cramping with a set of these. ISO Grips.

These look great! Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Emeskay,

Thats great news. It's always nice to be able to ask others for advice that works. I know I have learned a lot from other SWingers. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm

I was reading up on grip puppies, though more for my bike than my S'wing... I note that you can even put them over heated grips.... Surely they would act as insulators and stop the heat from reaching your hands? Has anyone tried them over heated grips?

Cheers Bernardo
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Hush Puppies...   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Can't help but think of food when I hear the word "puppies".
I installed the Grip Puppies this morning and made a little ride of 90 miles round trip just to try them out. Wow... this is looking good. Felt wonderful. How can something this cheap be so good. Unless something turns up later, I may apply for a distributorship for these little puppies. Great value and great aid in riding.
Gary
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Bernardo wrote:
I was reading up on grip puppies, though more for my bike than my S'wing... I note that you can even put them over heated grips.... Surely they would act as insulators and stop the heat from reaching your hands? Has anyone tried them over heated grips?

The "Grip Puppies" -- quoting so that Gary (Opalsboy) does not get hungry. Razz

The "Grip Puppies" do not cost a lot, so it would be inexpensive to test ... worst case you could buy a bunch and put a new "Grip Puppies" on when the weather warms up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 7:11 am

Thanks for all of the help...you guys rock! :Not Worthy:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi guys.

I got my manic salamander bar ends installed, and they are absolutely terrific. Thanks for all of your help! Smile

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Mandy,
Did you purchase the 6MM ones or the 7/8 inch ones??
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 1:29 am

DenGraham wrote:
Did you purchase the 6MM ones or the 7/8 inch ones??

The 7/8" has more weight then the 6MM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:49 am

Dennis,

I got the 7/8" weights. My husband was off, and he installed them before I even knew they had arrived! Great guy! Since I have heated grips, he had to go to the hardware store for different (longer) screws to hold them on, but they are great. The only negative I've noticed is when I back into a parking spot at an extreme angle, b/c the handlebars are longer. However, it not really a problem, just something to be careful with.

Another unexpected bonus is that my mirrors are clearer b/c they don't vibrate anymore.

I would completely recommend them!

Mandy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Where did you get them? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Miro wrote:
Where did you get them?

http://www.manicsalamander.com/bar_end_weight.htm#6mmHonda

7/8" Dragonfly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:00 pm

I bought gel padded gloves (found them on E-Bay), and I also added a Universal throttleboss (Kuryakin). I wanted the soft rubber one (my son has one of these on his sport bike), not the hard plastic "paddle" version, as I didn't want to become distracted by accidentally pressing the paddle and goosing the throttle without meaning to. So far this combination works well.
Back to top Go down
kdub
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kdub

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 am

Emeskay wrote:
Jeff,

JeffR wrote:

Do you suggest raising or lowering. I have the book at home to tell me how to do this.

M-

Can either of you tell me how to raise my handle bars Handlebar Vibration Icon_question
thanks
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 pm

kdub wrote:
Can either of you tell me how to raise my handle bars Handlebar Vibration Icon_question

You can try this subtle adjustment first

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/i-adjusted-my-handlebars-today-t181.htm?highlight=handlebars#870
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:15 pm

I think "Throttlemeister" offers a throttle lock that you can get in the heavy which will help with the viberation and still work as a cruise lock. Does anyone know about this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Handlebar Vibration   Handlebar Vibration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Handlebar Vibration
Page 1 of 1