Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Cardiff!

Go down 
+8
Duke1
ScootRGuy
tarmacburner2
Waspie
Nowun
RArch
JeffR_
MartynJ
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-24

Hello from Cardiff! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi All

Just got myself a 2006 Silverwing and loving it. At 52 I've moved to a Swing after a few changes of bike, my last being a Honda Deauville 700, so I guess I like the 'touring' capability bigger bikes bring. What a great ride and i love the power over smaller scoots. Only has 6000 miles on it and has been well looked after. The previous owner even carpeted the underseat in best Axminster! It has wind deflectors on, but living in Wales these will probably serve as rain deflectors...

Couple of things though that perhaps some kind soul can help me with to save me trawling through the internet...

First the bike has a badly marked back wheel, out of keeping with the rest of the bike. Nothing that affects the riding so I know that many will say that I shouldn't worry about it, but I think I would like to put a new rear wheel on. Question is, how much would a new rear wheel be, rough estimate, from the Honda dealer? I can sort out fitting so its the cost of the wheel I am after. Or if anyone has one going spare for a good price ...?

Second point, the bike came with an audible indicator mod. Good idea you might think, but this is really loud. And mean pedestrian head turning loud. I want to disable it but I'm not sure where its fitted. You would think being so loud it would be easy to tell but apart from knowing that it's in the front end I cant pinpoint it. Does anyone know the usual way these things are fitted, and the most likely place? Could it be a replacement indicator relay - if so, where is this normally located?

My first post so any help at all gratefully received.

Thanks
Martyn
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Martyn,

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy your Swing. I would like to hear some comparison of the Deauville and the SWing, if you ever get time.

I wish I could help you out with your questions though. Since I live in the U.S. I really have no idea about the price of parts there. Maybe someone here who lives over there has a link to a place they buy things.

You might want to search this site about the 'horn' since I'm sure the indicators might be connected to the horn. It seems the previous owner must have done a 'custom job' to get the indicators to make such a loud noise.

But welcome to the site and I'm sure someone here can guide you down the right path with your questions.

re-edited:

Martyn,

I went and did a search about the horn and here is a link to show info on the horn and how to install one. It seems the indicator is probably going through the horn and maybe is hooked up to the horn somehow. Maybe it will help you out some.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t507-stebel-horn-installation#3528
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Welcome Martyn.

Sorry, I don't have a clue to the cost of a new wheel you may need to give a Honda dealer a call to find out.

That indicator beeper could be anywhere, try removing the front right hand pocket with any luck it will be close by.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi Martyn, sorry - I'm no help at all!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Martyn and welcome.

Rear wheel, unless your related to Bill Gates - stick with it.

Price from Lings Honda. Circa £491.

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MCT601&block_02=F__1800&block_03=2871
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Hello Martin,

As far as the wheel is concerned check breakers' yards. Rear wheel very unlikely to have suffered in a crash unless side impact.

Audible warning. Check to see how good the indicator warning lights are in the sun before removing it. This is the reason I fitted mine. My audible warning buzzer is under the handlebar cover, mounted in the centre. This position gives access to the left and right indicator wiring so that the audible buzzer can be connected to both but separately. Otherwise you have hazards instead of indicators.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Thought the rear wheel would be costly but £491!!!! Might see if i can get it refurbed in that case.
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 pm

I just looked on Ebay and found a few and not too badly priced, check this link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=honda+silverwing+fsc600+rear+wheel&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_vxp=mtr&_rdc=2
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Martyn,

ScootRGuy's link is to Ebay.com (America). I had a look on ebay.co.uk and there is nothing listed.

How bad is the wheel? Is it structural or just cosmetic. If just cosmetic then you may find a sand blasting and powder coating a reasonable option.

Pictures would be good if you have any.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Quote :
How bad is the wheel? Is it structural or just cosmetic. If just cosmetic then you may find a sand blasting and powder coating a reasonable option.

Forgive me if i haven't done the above quote right, my first day here!!

The wheel is structurally fine, well I assume so as the bike rides OK. The marks are a few major dings and quite a bit of the silver colour has peeled off. I don't know why it is so bad compared to the rest of the bike. It notices as the rest of the bike is in exceptionally good condition and was the first thing I noticed so I guess it is playing on my mind more than anything. I have since done some research and for about £100 I believe I can get it refurbed, hopefully looking the same colour as the original which is a lot cheaper than a new one. If I do I will let you have some before/after pics and prices.
Thanks again to all for your help, really impressed with the knowledge here and willingness to assist.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Martyn,

Quote just fine.

What you could possibly contemplate is having both wheels refurbished - then the colour is going to be fine. Possibly change the colour completely, black wheels would look good on a blue scooter.

When you find the buzzer you may just want to muffle the sound. Try some foam or a small piece of cloth wrapped around it with some gaffer tape.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello Martyn
you have chosen a great scooter and are now part of a great forum. Could well come to your part of the world in the summer, if it ever comes!

All the best
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello Martyn
you have chosen a great scooter and are now part of a great forum. Could well come to your part of the world in the summer, if it ever comes!

All the best
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Oops
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Oops!
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello Martyn

All the best
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi Duke1. Thanks for that. If you do and you fancy a ride out let me know. the big bridge is free for bikes ya' know!!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm

A quick update on where I am with the bike. I found the indicator relay under the front cover (the cover you take off to get to the headlight bulb). It looked like it had been wired into one of the indicator bulbs. I muffled the loud beeping sound with gaffer tape and it's now much more acceptable. No more pedestrians thinking I am riding a stolen bike with the alarm going off Surprised

I have found somebody who will refurb the rear wheel for about £60 and the front for about the same. Just trying to decide now which colour I want them done i.e. usual silver, or black which I think would look nice. may be a few weeks before I get them done but will upload a photo when done and let you how it goes.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Martyn,

It's good you are able to find the trouble and also get someone to refurbish your wheel too. It seems it is a lot cheaper to refurb than to buy a new one.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Welcome to the greatest nuthouse on earth.

Do you know of a person named Graham Carrick by any chance?
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Sorry I don't know a Graham Carrick. Big place Cardiff, population 350,000. Although to be fair at least 300,000 have the surname Jones. Razz
Back to top Go down
MamaConnect
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MamaConnect

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 am

I just priced tires in Florida before I left. Replacing both tires when I get back.

I actually went to a small cycle shop. Priced some Michelin's and Evo(?)

Looks to be between $80-$100 US for back tire - didn't price front as I was just going to trade a ramp I had for the back tire and mounting.

After thinking about it though - I want the tire pattern to match for rain in Florida, so will be replacing front too. Fronts are cheaper and about $20 US less. Depends on brand - and preferred tread.

Most important thing is - ensuring you get the right size. I think a dealer would charge more - so it's worth it to shop around. I have always found the smaller shops take more care when it comes to their customers. More personalized, and eager to not only please, but network and ensure folks are safe.

Just my opinion. May be different across the pond.....

Good luck! Be sure you get the service manual and owners manual and have the right size to look for. If I could remember what size mine are I would post - but don't want to give bad advice.

You can get both service manual and owners manual on a link here in forum.

Happy SWingin!

Hiedi
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:56 am

Hello Hiedi,

OP says scooter has only done 6000 miles so probably tyres will not need changing. Although whilst wheels are off it is a great time to change them given the age of them.
As for you choice of tyres, have you looked at Metzeler Feel Free Wintec tyres (if they are available on you side of the pond). I've got them on mine and great confidence in them in the wet (and we get a lot of wet over here).

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Paragraph tidying.)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 am

MartynJ wrote:
Sorry I don't know a Graham Carrick. Big place Cardiff, population 350,000. Although to be fair at least 300,000 have the surname Jones. Razz

Jones is also the second most common surname in Australia and I bet the blokes have names like Shane and Bruce! Wink
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 am

And are the girls really called Sheila????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Cardiff!   Hello from Cardiff! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Cardiff!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: