Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 4:53 pm

» checking the oil
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 2:11 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 11:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 9:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 12:11 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 10:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 4:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 10:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 8:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Not a happy bunny...

Go down 
+6
pjas1969
WingMan02
RArch
Waspie
JeffR_
Atrick
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Not a happy bunny... Empty
PostSubject: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Riding home very tired in drizzle late last Tuesday night I made a big error by not concentrating properly - turning left out of a minor road into a main road whilst (stupidly) still looking at the approaching traffic from the right, I bumped into the kerb thus causing me and the Swing to fall in a very undignified heap onto the pavement! Shocked

Result: Embarassed Very bruised ego, grazed left elbow & knee together with some nasty scratches to my scooter's previously shiny bodywork (fortunately I was going fairly slow and the centre stand lever took the brunt of the initial impact).

Moral: Never stop concentrating & most importantly - LOOK where you're going!!!

To add insult to injury (pun intended), I then rode the 2 miles home only to find my house keys had fallen out of my pocket so had to go back to the scene to retrieve them - grrr! Mad

Ho humm... Anyone know a good Tupperware repairer on this part of the south coast?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Gerry,

Sorry to hear of your mishap but glad you are ok. I dropped my bike once and it can be embarrassing when that happens.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks JeffR. In some ways it's a pity that crash bars aren't so easy to come by - I've accidentally "lowered" my HD on to them a few times..! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Gerry, sorry to hear of your spill.

'Fraid I don't know any fettlers of plastic round these parts. Must be someone in the Bournemouth area!!!!!! (I would have thought!)

Try scouring Lings and the like for cheapo panels - that's where I got my rear wing from, £20 with minor scratches rather than £301 brand spanking new.

Hope you heal swiftly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear Sad

All 'plastic' covered bikes/scooter should come with sacrificial bits to protect from minor spills...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Gerry,
Try asking the service techs at your Honda shop. While on vacation, I took all the tupperware off and took it to a recommended MC painter. He charged me $400 to patch/paint the main front fairing, and the two side covers that are mounted below the foot platforms. It came out perfect, and I was able to repair any broken tabs. My 02 SW looks like new again. I hope I did not jink myself. I was dropping it once every two months. All were under 1 MPH drops.
Back to top Go down
pjas1969
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

Try searching for S.M.A.R.T. repairers in your area - I've worked on a few fairings and various panels.

You'll probably find (unless you are very lucky) that it's cheaper to repair than replace.

HTH,

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.carwizard.ltd.uk
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 am

Many thanks for your ideas. I've contacted a couple of smart repairers who seem a bit reluctanct so I've had a trawl round the internet and found a GRP company locally (Holten Heath, Poole) that does car, bike & boat repairs so I'm going to have a chat with them - hopefully the panels won't be too difficult to get off!

Guess this means I'll be blowing the dust off my bus pass soon - or worse - my bicycle...! pale
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

If it is just scratches on the Tupperware then vinyl stickers can cover quite a bit. I was lucky with my silver coloured Silverwing as I found some silver vinyl that is a perfect match. I just refer to the scratches as 'battle scars'.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am

Blow the dust of your bus pass and get out there with the rest of the old codgers. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 am

The answer is D) all of the above.
Time to take the car! Ouch!!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Dropping your scooter is no so embarrassing as dropping it, picking it up and then pushing it too far over to the other side only to have it fall the other way! Now thats embarrassing! Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 am

Fortunately for me it was dark & the usual crowd of onlookers didn't materialise!
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Well things ain't turned out too bad after all. Honda only charged £83.34 for a new panel in Delta Blue to replace the badly cracked one under the LH footboard, and from from RS Bike Paint I've been able to order aerosols of the correct paint colour, primer & lacquer (£50) to touch up the other minor abrasions.

Hopefully everything should arrive by the middle of next week then all I have to do is hope for a couple of warm sunny days & work out how to get the underside panel off - am I likely to run into any problems with removing/replacing the panel?
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Gerry,

Have a look at this thread...

https://www.silverwing600.com/t5993-under-tupperware

The third posting (mine) is a link to the diagrams in the manual. The front tabs are the ones to be careful with. I think someone on here said that these need to be released first. Hopefully someone will confirm this (or not). A bit cold for playing with the plastics unless you are in a warm garage.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm

OK Tarmie, thanks for that, it looks easier than I thought so I'm well pleased! As my garage is in a block & unheated, I'll leave the repairs 'til the weather warms up a little (got to 5º for a while today!). The scoot's got a bit dirty over the last week so the scratches don't show up too much at the moment - good reason for not cleaning anything! Smile
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 am

"Tarmie" Question Question Question Yeah... I think I like that... from now on.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a happy bunny...   Not a happy bunny... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a happy bunny...
Page 1 of 1