Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr. Pulley slider weights?

Go down 
+8
micbusathens
rjdoles
Somerled
The Scootist
tinman
Dimond
Cosmic_Jumper
pattim
12 posters
AuthorMessage
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-08-19

Dr. Pulley slider weights? Empty
PostSubject: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I was looking for experience on the different weights of sliders versus the stock rollers.

Our freeways average 70 - 80 MPH when not clogged, so I don't think I want the lightest Dr. Pulley sliders available, but I want to improve starting acceleration.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how, say, 26 gram Dr. Pulley sliders will accelerate off the line compared to the stock rollers?

Thanks,
Patricia
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Dr Pulley's 28 gm sliders will be a very nice, but subtle, improvement over the OEM 28 gm rollers; 26 gm sliders will deliver very good acceleration; 24 gm sliders will be really quick. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Get the 24gram, they are fantastic!
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am

Thank you very much for the replies and the great break down! I guess to get better than stock acceleration plus good gas mileage, I should go with the 26's, then. (I don't want to sacrafice RPMs on the freeway.)

Patricia Surprised
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 am

I also would like to get Dr Pulley sliders along with a new OEM belt .Is there a place where I can buy both to save on the shipping ? Smile
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 am

Pattim:
I have the 22g sliders on my bike and can still clock 110 to 113 mph on the speedometer, so you don't lose much if anything off the top end. The real bonus is the accelleration! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 4:52 pm

So, why do *lighter* sliders grab faster? If I understand the variator, the sliders just push the front cones together - so the belt itself is the "friction clutch" of the system, initially. Wouldn't heavier sliders tend to force the cones together, toward higher gearing? (Maybe *that's* the problem - like "lugging" a manual transmission car in too high a gear prevents rapid acceleration?)

Patti
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

The heavier sliders push the front cones together sooner which makes the diameter of the front "pully" grow larger. This drops the engine rpms and is great for cruising. But if you want faster accelleration, you want to keep your rpms up in the power band which is strongest from 5,600 to 7000rpms
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Oh, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Just my .02¢ - I'm quite happy with my 26 gr weight sliders. I think it offers the best of both the acceleration and top speed options.
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks - the 26's are the ones I wound up ordering, based on Cosmic_Jumper's break down. I don't need crazy acceleration - just noticeably better than stock. And any gas mileage improvement is very welcome! What a Face

The only really desirable option after that would be, well, loosing 100lb (off the swing Razz ) but that won't happen.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 am

The weight of the slider or roller determines the rpm when the transmission changes from low gear to high gear. I believe that the rpm increase in acceleration is the same whether you use lighter sliders or lighter rollers. The lighter you go, the higher the rpm where the transmission shifts up to top gear.

Sliders also change the gear ratio's of the transmission at the lowest gear and at the highest gear. Low gear is a little lower which results in a little better acceleration from a standing start and high gear is a little taller which gives you a lower cruising rpm.

I have 28 g sliders and my rpm at 60 mph is about 500 rpm lower than it was with the original rollers. My transmission shifts up in the 4500 rpm range. Acceleration is better than the original rollers and cruising rpm is lower.

What is not to like about that?

Ride safe!
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 pm

rjdoles wrote:
The weight of the slider or roller determines the rpm when the transmission changes from low gear to high gear. I believe that the rpm increase in acceleration is the same whether you use lighter sliders or lighter rollers. The lighter you go, the higher the rpm where the transmission shifts up to top gear.

Sliders also change the gear ratio's of the transmission at the lowest gear and at the highest gear. Low gear is a little lower which results in a little better acceleration from a standing start and high gear is a little taller which gives you a lower cruising rpm.

I have 28 g sliders and my rpm at 60 mph is about 500 rpm lower than it was with the original rollers. My transmission shifts up in the 4500 rpm range. Acceleration is better than the original rollers and cruising rpm is lower.

What is not to like about that?

Ride safe!
I have 28s too.Same remarks as yours.The only thing I miss a bit is the hard acceleration I had with OEMS after 85 mph to the top speed where the rev limiter was activated at +- 113 mph.On the other hand I've seen 120 on the speedo without rev limiter.Certainly take offs are much better than OEMs.Probably I'll buy and a set of 24 gr .I will try them and if gearing is too short for my preferances I'll mix them with 28s one by one
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

If you want to keep a balance try 2 at a time. Smile
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 3:42 pm

tinman wrote:
....Meaning.....(?)Two 24...two28...two24....two28 ?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Add that all together =26 gram slider weights? Smile
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 am

I replaced the OEM rollers to Dr Pulley 26gram sliders. It improved my acceleration and dropped my RPM by about 500. I then went to Dr 24 gram sliders to reduce the vibration from a standing start. I really like the 24gm sliders. No notable drop in MPG. Got the best of both worlds...
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the information - it helped a lot. I installed the 26 gram sliders (and a new belt) using the video for guidance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Y2rEJdSw
I borrowed a homemade variator holder from a coworker. WOW! It feels like a 600 twin now. It feels like I've been locked out of first gear for years, and always having to lug it while starting out. Now, all the plastic on the Swing doesn't vibrate any more when I take off. I wonder if I forgot to check the direction of belt rotation? Shocked confused

Last edited by pattim on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Hay pattim that's my scoot. Smile
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 pm

model28a wrote:
Hay pattim that's my scoot. Smile

LOL! Thanx for the video!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 4:09 pm

It was my scooter, but bigbird made the video and did the work.
Back to top Go down
pattim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, thank you AGAIN for that video. It was the video that reminded me that the belt had a direction of rotation affraid ! So I took it apart again this morning and *yes* I did put it on backward. All Fixed Now!!

Patricia

PS: I started it up while it was open and realized that the friction clutch must be right at the rear wheel! So I guess I'm free to go with even lighter sliders. Maybe half and half 26's and 24's? I got the impression (on this forum) that the right sliders (over the stock) will actually improve gas mileage?

PPS: Children are supposed to get out of it (our lives) alive... (meant to be stated as a procursive statement)
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:35 pm

micbusathens wrote:
tinman wrote:
....Meaning.....(?)Two 24...two28...two24....two28 ?

While I haven't "mixed" variator weights I believe that you are supposed to alternate weights. Meaning 1 28gm, 1 24gm, 1 28gm, 1 24 gm...etc. And mix roller weights with roller weights; slider weights with slider weights. Not sliders with rollers.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 am

What I mean to say ,to put the same weight opposite sides. I am not in favour in using different weights,I would go all 28 or 26 or24.It could cause a imbalance of the variator adding stress on the bearing and oil seal.There is a reason honda use all the same weight rollers.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 am

What site are the sliders being ordered from nowadays??
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 am

You can order them from DR Pulley www.drpulley.info/shop/
or buggy parts
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 2:13 pm

I have Dr Pully 22 gr sliders installed Oh Yeah!!!! I would not have it any other way. Now looking for a Power Commander for an 03 Swing.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks, "tinman".
I looked at the 'buggy parts' lists and finally figured out what I was looking at. After looking at all the weights, I did a little 'busy' work and came up with this list:

28gr x 8 = 224 gr standard
28 / 26 = 216 gr mix
26gr x 8 = 208 gr standard
28 / 24 = 208 gr mix (or same as 8 26’s)
28 / 22 = 200 gr mix
26 / 24 = 200 gr mix (or same as 28 / 22)
28 / 21 = 196 gr mix
24gr x 8 = 192 gr standard
26 / 22 = 192 gr mix (or same as 8 24’s)
26 / 21 = 188 gr mix
24 / 22 = 184 gr mix
24 / 21 = 180 gr mix
22gr x 8 = 176 gr standard
22 / 21 = 172 gr mix
21gr x 8 = 168 gr standard

Was wondering how the various possible weight mix's stood up to each other versus standard weight sets. I believe it's pretty accurate and shows the hi-to-low setup.
No, it doesn't prove anything other than I can add reasonably well. I know seat of the pants sensations are the best indicators but... just in case anyone was curious...
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 11:21 pm

I have yet to install Dr pulley sliders.what others have was to installed a set of 28x20x28 grams or 28x20x26 grams,and the 24,or 22 grams the two first numbers is always 28x20,I believe that they are the hight and side measurement of the sliders that fit's in the variator. My stock rollers are still good for now.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Went on a US site to order Dr Pulley sliders. At $54 95 + shipping the cost was $98. Plus taxes . Way to much money. Went on another site to order OEM rollers $20. and OEM drive belt $ 105.85 ,in the US shipping Is $5.00 . To Canada $55.00 plus taxes and duty fees .Buying $43.00 tire in US shipping ,$140.00 + taxes .IMO Some items are still cheaper to buy locally . Is there a supplier in Canada for Dr pulley sliders?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley slider weights?   Dr. Pulley slider weights? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr. Pulley slider weights?
Page 1 of 1