Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) Empty
PostSubject: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Not that I invented any of these ideas, of course. I got them all here. But I'm trying to combine them, and so far it's going well.

First off, I'm tall. 6'4" in boots. The Swing is a good sized bike, but I'm still a little cramped. Plus, the seat has proven absolutely torturous for long rides.

A Saddleman gel pad has helped considerably, but I still suffer. Plus it raises me up about an inch, which detracts from the excellent effect of the Givi windscreen.

I just removed the stock backrest, thus enabling me to scoot back in the seat a bit. NOW I'm starting to get somewhere! I'm on the wider part of the seat, which was previously inaccessible to my behind due to the backrest.

My next mod will be to remove the seat cover and shave down the seat foam a little to make room to permanently install the gel pad inside the seat. It's a little wider than the top of the seat, so I can use some strips of the original seat foam to bolster the sides slightly and create a wider, more stable "bucket" for my....bucket. I also plan to carve out a little trough in the centerline, under the gel pad, so I won't be carrying weight on my corn hole and....umm....the, uhhh....internal....man bit. You know. The parts that make your junk go completely numb after half hour of riding. (That's rather disconcerting.)

With the backrest removed I have stretch-out room, like a chopper.

From there, I plan to use the backrest brackets to cobble together a gel-padded, thinner, taller backrest that will actually provide some support.

Finally, I can already tell I'm going to want to do something different with the handlebars eventually.

Long-term: The goal is a kicked-back cruising position with my feet up and a Motorcycle Cruise Control doing the driving for me. And maybe a naked girl riding pillion to fan me with palm fronds and feed me grapes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Backrest problem solved?

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html

Yes, the "search" function works very well. That is exactly what I'm going to do. The stock backrest, raised up a few inches, will be plenty comfy.

Progress marches on....
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 3:31 am

Let me know where i can order one of these naked fan girls thats a mod im interested in lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Grapes on a moving vehicle.   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 8:46 am

In my state I think there is a law against eating grapes while driving any two wheeler... you have to let the naked lady drive and then you can eat the grapes while riding behind her. Although, I don't know how you will hold on... I will have to think about this for a while. HHMMMMM this is going to be a pleasant moment of meditation.
Gary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 am

I just did the "raised up backrest" mod: http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html

Mucho comfy! I didn't do the 10 degree bend in the risers, though, because I didn't want to change the angle of the backrest. So I cobbled together a couple of spacers out of 1" square aluminum tubing.

Now I need to strip off the seat cover, carve up the foam, and install the gel pad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:26 am

Mickey, I've removed the backrest as well for more stretch room. I'm at the point where I can feel the rise in the seat pan which has no foam, of course, and on a longer ride you start to feel the pan. I was wondering if anyone has ever modded the pan to move the start of the rise back another inch or so for even more room and then add some padding in that location? Seems doable when looking at the pan. The pan must be some kind of plastice so bonding material to it may be questionable. Anyway, maybe something to ponder? Or, am I just nuts and just go buy another seat?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Jay600 wrote:
Mickey, I've removed the backrest as well for more stretch room. I'm at the point where I can feel the rise in the seat pan which has no foam, of course, and on a longer ride you start to feel the pan. I was wondering if anyone has ever modded the pan to move the start of the rise back another inch or so for even more room and then add some padding in that location? Seems doable when looking at the pan. The pan must be some kind of plastice so bonding material to it may be questionable. Anyway, maybe something to ponder? Or, am I just nuts and just go buy another seat?

I don't think you're nuts. The worst you can do is ruin the seat entirely. Then you'd have to buy a Corbin saddle, which would solve your problem. If you're resolved to spend the money anyway you might as well give it a shot. That's my thinking, anyway. But thinking gets me in trouble.

If you have no interest in ever using the stock backrest you could try drilling out the rivets that secure those plastic things to the seat. That's probably where most of the pain is coming from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 6:58 am

Mickey, I've already drilled out the rivets and taken the plastic things off. I guess the next step to modify the pan is to find out what it is made of and what will bond to it. Maybe I will make a small test using epoxy and glass cloth in some inconspicous area and see if it will bond to the seat. This would be a winter project for sure.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am

The pan is ABS, I doubt that epoxy will stick to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)   I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I might be on to something here (RE: Comfort)
Page 1 of 1