Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 7:30 am

» Left brake micro-switch
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
First impressions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First impressions

Go down 
+4
Waspie
Phred501
Microtouch
rodenbach
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 pm

After having to wait over three weeks to get the SW registered, today I finally could take the Silver Lady out for a ride.

With all fresh fluids, new oil- and air filter and spark plugs, 'she' felt very happy to take on the road.

There was a lot of wind, and the first thing I noticed is that the SW -with its impressive bodywork- is quite sensitive to side winds. It took me a while to get some confidence to ride the scooter: my first thought was that it would be easier to have a petrol tank between my knees, to help steering...

In total I rode some 320 kms (200 Miles), and after filling 'r up at 19339km (with only one blinking 'LED'-bar left), by the time I got back home, (19502km) it was nearly time to have another stop, since there were only two bars left of the fuel indicator.

I have made an excell page to keep an eye on the fuel consumption, it is too early to make any predictions, but at first glance the SW doesn't look a lot more economic than my 1997 Civic 1.4i automatic with airco... [that, over the last 60.000 kms, averaged 6.75 L/100km or 42 MPG (imp)] But, hey, the SW does offer a lot more fun than the tin can...

On my way home I was cruising at 140kph (87Mph) for at least 20 minutes when I couldn't resist to fully open the throttle in 'no mans land' (between the French and Belgian border) and was happily surprised to see the needle go past 180kph (112Mph), at which point I decided it was 'more than enough'. This might have had some kind of influence on the fuel consuption, mentioned earlier on... Embarassed

Picture: not on the Mississippi, but in the port of Dunkirk (FR) : the «Princess Elizabeth» , a genuine paddle-steamer.

First impressions 15saa8g
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Very Nice. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-08-14

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Cngrats! Please be careful. They say @ 100mph your just aiming. Anything goes wrong it's going to be ugly. I had mine up over 100 on my test ride. Now it's good to know I can but more importantly the scoot's quick acceleration get out in front of the dangerous four wheelers on a regular basis. No need to speed Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Is that the paddle steamer 'Waverley' in the background?

As for the 100mph thing! The scooter is designed for it - so why not! As long as all the necessary precautions are taken. I mean a ton in tee shirt and flip flops!!!! Not on! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 4:49 pm

nice report and picture at the port, I was in Belgium in march, (a lovely country), we stayed in a kind of strange hotel Dunkirk which we used as a base, one day we had a wonderfull tour guide, who rides a blue silverwing, who took us round Belgium ending up in Bruges. (thanks again Mike).
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Waspie wrote:

As for the 100mph thing! The scooter is designed for it - so why not! As long as all the necessary precautions are taken. I mean a ton in tee shirt and flip flops!!!! Not on! Laughing

The 'Waverley' has two funnels and there is a white band between the black and red. - 'Should have gone to Specsavers'

Laughing Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Waspie wrote:

The 'Waverley' has two funnels and there is a white band between the black and red. - 'Should have gone to Specsavers'

Laughing Laughing

Cheers,

Thanks!!!!

(And I wouldn't touch 'Specsavers' thank you!!!)
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
First impressions 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Nice day ride. Twisting the throttle makes the wrist flex and reaching for the wallet is easier, but it is fun. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 2:44 am

Thanks for all these kindhearted replies. cheers

@Phred501: I do not intend to do more of these +100MPH runs, but was curious to find out if the bike was (still) capable of doing it.

@Waspie:the paddle steamer is the "Princess Elisabeth" (as mentioned), and b.t.w.: I do not wear flip-flops Laughing

@Marco: I moved to the Westhoek (a.k.a. Flanders Fields) some 10 years ago. One of the last places in Belgium that are not overcrowded. Though I prefer the rural scenery of Northern France for riding.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 4:20 am

rodenbach wrote:
Thanks for all these kindhearted replies. cheers

@Waspie:the paddle steamer is the "Princess Elisabeth" (as mentioned), and b.t.w.: I do not wear flip-flops Laughing

Didn't think you did, I was more thinking of the ton up mob from the 60's who thought doing a ton in a tee shirt was cool. Temperature wise - yup! Emergency Room - not so cool!

If your, Smile (general), doing three figure speeds then I believe you should dress for it!
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:42 am

@Waspie:
I 'vagely' remember the summer of 1975, when I -aged 18- tried to get some refreshment doing +100Mph on my first proper bike -a T500- dressed in jeans and T-shirt... Embarassed

... and I will never forget the sensation when my pillion raised two T-shirts (mine and hers) to give me a 'poking' sensation in the back What a Face

37 years on, gloves, protective clothing and ankle-high footwear are compulsory in Belgium. The seventies are long gong, but the memories live on...

---------------------------motorcycle
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:35 am

I enjoyed very much meeting the Ugly Bunch, not least because no-one complained (at least not in my hearing!) of my 'off-the-cuff' rideout leading down some inevitably-closed-for-roadworks routes.

I love riding here - one can see for miles and it's almost surreal, possibly a bit like riding across the wide-open spaces in parts of the States.
I shall come back as often as I can, not least because Great Uncle Wilfrid doesn't have other visitors to his grave in Lijssenthoek Commonwealth Cemetery (near Ypres).

I love Northern France, too, and on my 'to do again' list is Mont St. Michel. I didn't allow enough time last time.
One great feature of my trips down there is crossing the Pont de Normandie - worth Googling for information and pictures. It's quite an experience!
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

no one did complain, funny enough, we all commented on how composed you kept when we arrived at roadworks. We all would have been 'effing and jeffing' Laughing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

Nice people/riding companions - what more can I say? Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Hello Mike,

We all secretly blamed you for you lack of planning but assumed 'Must have foreign blood in him!' and therefore let it pass. Laughing

In reality it was a great ride out and having someone with some local knowledge made that ride so much easier.

Pont de Normandie - in 2008 three of us rode off the ferry and in a few minutes we were riding over that structure. Really impressive. but compared to our destination (Viaduc du Millau). fairly minor.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First impressions   First impressions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First impressions
Page 1 of 1