Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Side stand extender.

Go down 
+10
john grinsel
DaveR
Tamjay
tarmacburner2
johnd
tinman
bikerboy
dspevack
Yaj
CathyN
14 posters
AuthorMessage
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Side stand extender. Empty
PostSubject: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 am

Just wondering if anyone has ever put a side stand extender on the Silverwing.

Bob was looking at my SW and said how far it leans on the side stand. Especially when I have it packed for a trip. Left for the Black Hills, SD today. Got to Grand Island, NE 620 miles.

If anyone has any input on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. I did do a search on the forum but did not find anything.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Yaj
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Yaj

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:51 am

I welded a piece of u-channel to the bottom of my side stand, about 5/8 inch tall. Works great but you have to be careful when using the stand on a side hill. I just make sure any side hill I park on that the down hill side is the side stand side.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 5:13 am

I found that adding a half inch to the side stand foot thickness is sufficient.
I had a welder make my foot from a solid piece of metal.

Also nice to have a metal plate, something about the size of the lid to a tuna can, but with no sharp edges.

You can put it under the foot of your side stand when you park on soft ground. It will spread the weight out over a larger area.

Dan
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 6:28 am

Even better is to have a piece of cord attached to the metal plate so that you can retrieve it whilst sitting on the scooter, you will need very long arms without it !!!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 am

It is next to imposable to topple it over I tried fully loaded plus putting my weight on it and could not make it fall over. A 1/8" puck size plate will help from sinking into the pavement.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks guys for the input. I'll have to look into your suggestions.

I do have a kick stand plate with a piece of string attached to a close pin. Bob gave me that when I first got the Swing.

Thanks again. On to Rapid City through the Sand Hills of NE.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 am

Wow Cathy! Looks like you have everything you could possibly put on a S/W I like. Greetings from Santa Barbara CA. The pearl of the West
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 am

I have a piece of plywood screwed to the underside of the sidestand's foot. It is about 3/8th inch thick. Makes lifting up the scoot into the upright position much easier. Using a puck sized plate means you always have it with you when needed on soft ground.
I use a piece of old numberplate to sit the sidestand down on - in the UK they are made of plastic, mine is part of a rear plate so yellow in colour.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:59 am

The last time I went to a race meeting we had to park on the grass and they gave us all a nice bike shaped plastic pad for the side stand. I really must find it !!
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 11:40 am

The side stand lean has always worried me - it always looks as if it's going to fall over! I asked the mechanic, when I had it serviced, if the stand could be replaced by a slightly longer one. But he assured me that under normal circumstances it will never fall over. But I still have my reservations!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:00 pm

You must have come close to my "Neck of the Woods," Scottsbluff, Nebraska on your way to the Black Hills of South Dakota, unless you went north out of Grand Island, Nebraska and up. Would have been nice to have met you and maybe rode with you. How many of you were there and were you all on Silverwings?
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 pm

What happened to use of center stand-----loads high and heavy, even with extended or block under sidestand can make front wheel come off ground using side stand.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 pm

I have stand-pads, one of which I have on a long piece of string so I can get on the bike and don't have to bend down to retrieve it.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 3:54 pm

bikerboy wrote:
Even better is to have a piece of cord attached to the metal plate so that you can retrieve it whilst sitting on the scooter, you will need very long arms without it !!!

What an excellent idea! Smile

Why didn't I think of that!!!!! cyclops
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm

bikerboy wrote:

I used to use a piece of alloy checker plate attatched to a length of stainless steel chain, now I just use the free plastic pucks that were give aways in bike mags. Unless I'm parked on soft ground where the main stand would dig in, I only use the side stand for getting on and off the scooter.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Tamjay,
I know what you mean. It does lean over far especially when you are on a slope. My bike has fallen over twice fully loaded. Once when I was getting on it my leg got caught swinging it over the seat. Fell and hurt my wrist and ribs. Once in a Wendy's parking lot the asfalt gave way. That was my fault sould of had my side stand disc down.

DaveR,

Just Bob (on his BMW) and me. We just got to Rapid City. We will be here till Friday morning. We came up NE 2 north of Grand Island to US 385 to SD 79 to Rapid City. About 440 miles. Great day for riding. DennisB was going to join us but it has been to hot down by him.

We were going to camp but changed our minds and are moteling it.

Dave, I just looked up where your at. we went through Alliance just east of you. I would of liked to of met you too. Do you ever come up to Rapid City are?
John Grinsel,

When I have the saddle bags on the bike and my camping seat bag it is difficult to raise the the bike on the center stand with out help from Bob. I can't get good grip on the passenger handles.

I still think it leans over a bit much on the side stand. You should be able to leave it on the side stand for normal everyday use for quick errands and such without it wondering if it will fall over.

Thanks again everybody. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 am

First centerstands are a blessing----for maint., loading bike up before trip or simply getting stuff on/in scooter at the store.

Proper "get up technique" seldom taught by MSF.

Idea is not to use or waste a lot of power----left hand on handlebar, right (gloved helps) hand on passenger grab handle, roll bike a little forward then back...at same time step on stand arm (right foot works for me) and up she goes. Why waste power when a little motion will do the trick? works for heavy bikes, too.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 am

John,

I can get the bike up on the center stand just fine when I can grab the passenger grab bar. But after it is loaded for a trip it is hard to grab the bar with all the luggage attached and hard to find and step on the stand arm.

The bike stills leans over a bit far on the side stand IMO.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:44 am

I hope your bike has the recommended IRC or Bridgestone tires in the correct size mounted.

Over size tires besides maybe screwing handling up, make the sidestand lean more and hard to get up on centerstand.

Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am

I have metzler feel frees on. Which I like better than the hoops.

Off to Mt. Rushmore.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

It is a good practice to use Parking brake to prevent rolling forward with side stan. Smile
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks Tinman. I did that today. I will keep that in mind when the surface is less than perfect (flat and concrete).
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Cathy, Sorry to have missed you. Yes I do get to Rapid City on occasion go to Hot Springs V.A.....by the way, be sure you "always" set the park brake when using the side stand.
Old Dave Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 am

There's no problem in remembering to set the parking brake. The problem is remembering to 'unset' it before moving off ! I suppose that I'll get the hang of it eventually !!!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:40 am

Your very welcome Cathy N. As far the parking brake the trik is to releas it gently ,very gently,or it will keep locking. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 am

If you have to rely on the side stand all the time because you can't or won't use the main or centre stand, isn't that an indication that the Silver Wing is too heavy for you.

I could lift my 650 onto it's main stand even with full touring gear of tunnel bag, soft panniers, and top box, and I can do the same now with the Silver Wing. It's more about the lifting technique than physical strength, but I realise as I get older pushing a big maxi scooter up the slightest incline or pulling it away from the kerb is hard work and is not going to get any easier as I grow older. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 am

Agree with above---technique is the whole deal, women lack upper body strength and so prime is technique on stands.

Agree on getting older---me, 73, stroke, DAV, but still is good shape, ride everyday----pushing heavy stuff around not fun as you move along. Picked a Harley off an idiot last weekend---trailer biker/pony tail full halloween custome/loud pipes-----He put front brake on, in muddy field and wondered why he went down------ point here, boy, that bike was heavy to get up----and to think I once used them on duty.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Boy's your Superman days are over. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 5:16 pm

Well, I don't have a centerstand (Shadows don't have them, it sucks), I picked up a small piece of wood from a craft store and used a Dremel to carve out a spot for the side stand foot, (I've felt the SWs foot IS a bit small) and carry that in my sidebag. Always remember to use the parking brake on the SW to keep her from rolling off, even on flat smooth areas (prevents it from being bumped over by some yahoo)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Side stand extender.   Side stand extender. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side stand extender.
Page 1 of 1