Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Left glove box wire hiding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Left glove box wire hiding Empty
PostSubject: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:23 am

I have an iphone on a ram mount on the handlebars and i have ran the wire down the inside of the plastic handlebar trim to hide it but at the base of the handlebars i have ran the wire outside and into the left glovebox to the power point. When the glovebox lid is closed and locked the sharp edge is taking a toll on the cord (almost cutting it). It works for now but i would love to hide the wire completely. It would be nice to drill thru the glovebox underneath somewhere but by reading some posts here i guess its hellish to get the box out!! Any other ideas??? Maybe tapping into power under dash somewhere!!
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am

I use Dennis's excellent headlight power tap plug. It's more than you may want to spend, but the quality is excellent and it's 100% no fuss if you can remove a body piece or two on the nose (I can't remember if removing the windshield garnish is enough or not). It comes with two terminal connectors you have to crimp onto whatever you are trying to power, so you would probably need to come up with a way to connect it to some sort of iPhone cable (I'm not sure if anyone makes hardwire iPhone cables designed for this, but that's what I'd look for - just make sure it is designed to be used in a car with a car electrical system, as it will need to be a bit more than just wire and connector). It switches on and off with the low beam, and uses the same circuit, so you can't put a huge load on it (an iPhone would be fine).
Back to top Go down
alan309
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Problem - how to run the wires, so they went into the Glove Box and still were out of the way. I wanted to keep the

Glove Box water tight and allow the wires to flex and move with the steering.
Here was my solution.
Found a location that I could drill into the Glove Box by reaching in and feeling where the side of the box ended.
Drilled a hole for a 1/2"rubber gromit. 1/2" was a pretty standard size and would allow the wire ends to fish thru without any problem. The gromit keeps the wires from chafing and makes a good water seal.

Sorry, I can't seem to send the pictures I took.

Last edited by alan309 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Could not send pictures)
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello,

I do not have an Iphone. Does it charge and get power off an Mini USB (5v DC) type connector. If so, I would think one of these would work you. They drop the 12v DC voltage down to 5v DC.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_kw=GPS+hardwire+cable

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

alan309 your plan sounds good but how do i access "behind" the glovebox to fish the wire thru. This is what i was planning to do ideally but thought id check here first. i want to make sure what is behind the side of the glovebox before drilling a hole and how do i access this hole to get the wire from point A to point B once drilled?!?!
alan309 did you remove the glovebox to drill the hole? this would obviously make the wiring easy but as i read on a few posts here it is very difficult to get the box out and then back in.
Dennisb i have seen the hardwire connector for the iphone on ebay but if i could get "hidden" access to the glovebox power point i wouldnt need it.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Update: i removed the headlight garnish and the right glove box and hardwired the iphone/gps cord to the same wire going to the power point. Works lovely and no exposed wires.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left glove box wire hiding   Left glove box wire hiding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Left glove box wire hiding
Page 1 of 1