Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

GPS assistance

Go down 
+8
JeffR
DaveR
honda_silver
Opalsboy
skiwoods
dspevack
jdeereanton
Janice
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 10:54 am

Hi.
What GPS units are people using? I love to take long solo rides, off main highways, and don't mind too much getting "lost" ( although I prefer to think of it as finding alternate routes). I would be much more secure in taking interesting side roads that I often pass if I had a GPS unit that would tell me to make a left at the next road to avoid ending up on some single-lane loose-gravel dead-end road. Do I need to get one specifically for motorcycles, or is there enough protection on the S'wing ( ie vibration etc) for any type? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 11:24 am

Janice,

I do not currently have a GPS on the bike and so use maps. I love them and they work great. I recognize the value of the GPS though and will go that route soon. I suggest you consider one of DennisB's mounts.

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/dennisb-gps-mount-t129.htm
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 12:00 pm

The made for motorcycle GPSs are the Garmin zumo 550 and 660.

A nice thing about the Garmins, is that you can add your own custom POI files.

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=2433
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Janice,

I use DennisB's mount and per his advice, I bought a Lowrance XOG GPS. It is shock and water resistant. I bought mine new on ebay for $139. Between that, Dennis' mount and the RAM to hold the GPS, the powere adapter (optional), I finished up under $200. I mostly use mine for the exact reason you mentioned. I love taking side roads and I also like to know where I'll end up.

To see apicture of my GPS, click on the link below for my Silver Wing pictures...
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Gene,
I just looked at your pictures.

Your Silverwing grew breasts! cheers :ROTF:

Those are the biggest...ahem...speakers I've ever seen on Silverwing handlebars :Not Worthy:
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 11:12 pm

I too use DennisB's mount. I looked and looked for several months at different brands and models of GPSs before I chose one that is not specifically for motorcycles. I only paid a little over $90 for it and have used it since Thanksgiving 08. I have had no problems so far. I really like it. Not only does it tell me how to find places, it bluetooths with my phone and I can use it with the scala helmet intercom as a really good speaker phone that I can use while riding. It plays mp3 files if I choose to listen. Really ads to the riding experience. The mount system created by Dennis is very sturdy. There has been no scientific tests run that I am aware of, but it seems to really make a sturdy place to park my GPS. I have added the power outlet for it and use it all the time.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 11:40 pm

My Blackberry does GPS navigation. I think the iPhone does that too. It might be cheaper to combine phone + GPS rather than having separate units. The Blackberry Storm comes with a simple nav program, and you can pay a monthly fee for a fancier one with voice promts.

What we REALLY need is a heads-up display for the inside of a visor for GPS. And engine management fuctions, and nighttime FLIR (to avoid hitting wildlife) and.......
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:20 am

dspevack wrote:
Gene,
I just looked at your pictures.

Your Silverwing grew breasts! cheers :ROTF:

Those are the biggest...ahem...speakers I've ever seen on Silverwing handlebars :Not Worthy:

HAHA! I will never look at my S'wing the same! I have taken quite a bit of ribbing about those speakers, but I sure like how they sound!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:01 am

mickey wrote:
My Blackberry does GPS navigation. I think the iPhone does that too. It might be cheaper to combine phone + GPS rather than having separate units.

I am curious if the phone GPS will continue to work if the phone is outside of phone coverage ... does anyone know? I ride in a lot of places where phone coverage is not available or spotty.

A GPS (Garmin etc) unit is only dependent on the GPS signal.

I do travel with a laminated Roads of Texas Atlas ( http://www.mapsco.com/detail.aspx?ID=3307 ), just in case.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 1:10 am

skiwoods wrote:
I have taken quite a bit of ribbing about those speakers

If the speakers are ribbing you, then you may be too close to those ahemmm ....... speakers as you call them. :lol!:
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 2:21 am

honda_silver wrote:
mickey wrote:
My Blackberry does GPS navigation. I think the iPhone does that too. It might be cheaper to combine phone + GPS rather than having separate units.

I am curious if the phone GPS will continue to work if the phone is outside of phone coverage ... does anyone know? I ride in a lot of places where phone coverage is not available or spotty.

A GPS (Garmin etc) unit is only dependent on the GPS signal.

I do travel with a laminated Roads of Texas Atlas ( http://www.mapsco.com/detail.aspx?ID=3307 ), just in case.

Hmmm. I'm not as geeky as I thought I was, because I have no idea.

Since I live close to downtown BFE I'll have to experiment with that a bit.

The fact that they refer to it as "GPS" would infer that it's satellite-based, though. I don't see how they could get away with saying that if it's just triangulating from cell phone towers. Besides, that "triangulation" is notoriously inaccurate and my phone knows EXACTLY where I am.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 2:27 am

By the way, I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60 cSX color handheld. It's something of a legend in the GPS community as it has the most accurate chipset in its class. Garmin has released some newer ones with touchscreens, but they're still not as accurate as the cSX

It's not designed specifically for on-road navigation, though it will certainly do that. Without voice, though, which may or may not matter to you if you're using it on a bike. It's considered a "hiking" tool, primarily, but like any GPS it will approximate the function of any of the other classes of receiver. It's also great for geocaching, if you're into that.

Not sure how I'd put it on the bike, but frankly I don't see why I'd need to. If I get lost I can dig it out from under the seat and figure out where I am. "Getting lost" is half the charm of a random road trip. I don't WANT to know where I am. The loster I get the more successful the drive, in my view.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 6:54 am

We have a Garmin Zumo, but the mount's on hubby's bike since we nearly always do long trips together. Not sure how I'd mount one on this bike, but I'm leaning toward the Givi bag that's coming out shortly. It attaches to the bars but can be removed when off the bike. The reason we went with the Zumo is because it's bike-specific and is fairly waterproof. The downside is that even as good as it is, it's taken us on some really weird routes.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:47 am

I looked at a GPS system this winter but decided not to get one. I'm pretty good at mapping out my day trips and I do wander a lot. As long as my compass can tell me the general direction I should be heading I am fine. Most of the time I find an interesting destination on the Internet, I mapquest it and off I go.
Plus after looking at the GPS systems I decided I would have to get out my glasses to see the screen Rolling Eyes anyway! So for me it's just as easy to stop and check my map.
A great suggestion I saw was to write route numbers on your windshield with a marker that comes off which sounded like a great idea to me. I usually do that with a peice of paper I keep in my jacket pocket.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Ridin'' with general directions   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:59 am

Coralee, did you ever see the movie Deliverance? Here in Arkansas, you don't want to just ride in general direction. Some dead end roads can be very unfriendly to uninvited strangers.

(Just kiddin') but it IS very very easy to get lost and go in circles in rural areas like where I live. Cell phone service is spotty so, so you can't always depend on being able to use one to get help. Believe me you CAN get lost.
Back to top Go down
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for all the assistance and advice.

OPALSBOY wrote
Quote :
Coralee, did you ever see the movie Deliverance? Here in Arkansas, you don't want to just ride in general direction. Some dead end roads can be very unfriendly to uninvited strangers.

(Just kiddin') but it IS very very easy to get lost and go in circles in rural areas like where I live. Cell phone service is spotty so, so you can't always depend on being able to use one to get help. Believe me you CAN get lost.

It is very easy to get lost in the rural areas of Ontario as well. The terrain is basically rolling farmland, with few landmarks. I'm not so much worried about unfriendly natives as I am about having to try and manouver out of narrow soft gravel driveways. It's hard to get a good tire ( or boot ) grip when the ground gives way under pressure. I always make sure I have at least a half tank of gas when I head off a main road, and there are a lot of small towns around, but in some areas they still close down on Sundays.
I can generally tell what direction I'm heading , but it would be nice to know what I'm heading to. When I head out for long trips ( more than 3 hours) on my own, I usually have a destination in mind, but sometimes get distracted on my way there or back, and while I take a map with me, and google the route that I plan to take, it would be nice to be able to find out whether, if I take a side route to check out a small provincial park or point of interest , I can get back on my intended route without necessarily backtracking. I've also, in my research , seen some GPS units that let you put in favorites, so that if a side trip turns out to be worthwhile ( great twisty road, great destination, great ice cream stand, festival of some kind in a few weeks, etc) it can be entered so you can return without having to try and remember which spur of the moment detour led you there.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Oh I have gotten lost lots of times. Smile The compass has really helped with that. I generally know about where I am. Last summer I went off some back road and did have quite a time finding my way back out of the area. A young couple who lived in the area were walking with a stroller so I stopped. They weren't sure how to get out???? Suspect I've never really worried since I know I can always back-track if I need to. I agree I sure hate it when I'm down some little back road and it turns to gravel... Evil or Very Mad Gravel and I just don't get along!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: There is rural and then there is RUUURRRAAALLLLLLL.   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:27 pm

I am sitting here grinning. I have a compass in my truck. I use my GPS. I have a state map. I have a county map. I am married to an Indian. But there are still places within 15 miles of my house that I have wound up in and had to call my brother to come get me. Unless you know where Bugger Hollar road meets the Charles Huntley Road... you can't get home from Smith Chapel going through Marks Mill. Excuse me... I gotta turn the light on in the room. I can't find the door.
Gary
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Soooo true...LOL. I live on the OH/IN border and ride mostly in Southern IN. You get out in the country and there are no road signs. I used to get to an intersection, no signs and look up and it's noon. sunny I would have no clue which way to turn. At least with the compass I know the general direction to turn.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Excuse me... I gotta turn the light on in the room. I can't find the door.
Gary
Did you remember to put a POI on the GPS for the light switch?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 9:33 pm

mickey wrote:
The fact that they refer to it as "GPS" would infer that it's satellite-based, though. I don't see how they could get away with saying that if it's just triangulating from cell phone towers. Besides, that "triangulation" is notoriously inaccurate and my phone knows EXACTLY where I am.

GPS receives the satellite triangulation.

GPS devices (for example Garmin) have the maps loaded on the device ... so they can convert the satellite triangulations to the map on the device.

GPS phones do not have maps loaded on the device, so even though the satellite triangulation may work. I highly doubt it has enough map data downloaded (phone memory is limited) for the endless roads that you could take from the last phone converage point.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Janice,
This is old dave in western Nebraska u.s.a.
I have a Garmin C330 and I use a Ram Mount on the left Brake cyl. I would post a picture but can not get this figured out. Did get lucky once and posted a couple of pictures of my Swing before I put the GPS on it. Yes it works well..
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:03 am

Hi,

I use my GPS all the time when I go on longer rides. It really helps and takes any worries of knowing where I am. A lot of times when I'm just riding, if I see a road that interests me, I just take it and see where it goes. That is what I like best of riding by myself. So the GPS, mounted to Dennis's GPS mount, works great and makes the ride more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I think the GPS is a great safety tool as it shows the turns etc. in the road before you get to them. You can sometimes come upon a tight turn in a hurry but if you are watching the GPS it will show in advance and give you fair warning on what to expect.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:07 pm

I would think that if you were watching the fence lines / power lines (or anything down the road) rather than a 5 inch tv screen on your handlebars, the turn would not sneak up on you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 5:43 am

DaveR,

You are right about the use of the GPS as a preview of the upcoming road. I think that is perhaps one of its best uses, even more than the route planning and guidance capability.

Jon, I've witnessed the use of a GPS for this very purpose while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway last May. The ability to know what is upcoming can not be overlooked as a help, just one more way to prepare for the route. There were no such road side indicators like fences or line poles, and the forewarning provided by the GPS was helpful. I did not ride mesmerized by the device with my eyes fixated on the screen, but would scan it like all the other instruments. Still watched (read) the road. Was it absolutely a must have item? NO, but it was helpful in a very different sort of way.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct a subject verb faux pas.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:03 am

jdeereanton wrote:
I did not ride mesmerized by the device with my eyes fixated on the screen, but would scan it like all the other instruments. Still watched (read) the road. Was it absolutely a must have item? NO, but it was helpful in a very different sort of way.

I have GPS in my car and they provide invaluable information while traveling .... gas, hotels, resturants, stores, hospitals, police and detours (for closures or delays).

If I wait long enough the Garmin Zumo 660 wll drop in price.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:49 am

I have to have a giggle here. When we travel to Adelaide in the next state SA , we travel east for 700kms approx then turn right go for a further 500 kms south and then turn left east for 1200 kms.. GPS... nah dont thimk so for that part, but they are mighty helpful when getting to Adelaide. really helpful if you are going on to Melbourne or Sydney from there.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:49 pm

I like gadgets. That's the biggest reason I have a GPS on my SW. I have one in my car, my wife's car (she hardly uses it), my airplane (a very handy device up there). Not sure I could live without one anymore.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Our first gen. Garmin took me carefully to the beginning of a bridge that was no longer there on a pretty big river in rural Missouri. The "new" bridge was two blocks further south. Just another reason I travel in daylight Smile
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Yes, they do have to be upgraded from time to time to have the latest info because new roads bridges etc are added changed from time to time. No doubt about that.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I have the Garmin c300 GPS it works great in the car or on my Swing. I've said it before and I will say it again it is a great safety device because it will show you all of the charted road curves etc. before you get to them so you have time to adjust speed etc. just need to keep it up graded but that is not a problem.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 6:55 pm

I have to say ive yet to put sat nav on the scoot sometimes use in the car,the beauty i sometimes find on the bike is just taking a road and wondering where it goes....i kind of like not quite knowing where im going to end up,but i do know the south of england quite well so eventually come out somewhere i know ( a bit smaller than th U.S) but i will give in one day Smile
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 pm

This is Old Dave in Western Nebr. U.S.A
I use a Garmin c300 simply because I purchased on for my car. I purchased a Ram mount for it and use it on my Swing. The Ram mount works very well as it puts it right up where you can see and hear. Mounts off of the brake reservoir. I think there is a picture in the my photo section.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 3:42 pm

This is Old Dave in Western Nebraska
I use my Garmin c300 GPS. on my Swing and in my car. Purchased a mount for it that mounts on the left brake cyl. bracket. Puts the GPS up where I can easily see it without taking my eyes off the road per say and can still hear the voice command. One of the things I like is the exact speed reading. When my speedometer reads 69mph I'm really at 65mph. It also shows all the turns in the road before you get to them which helps alot.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Garmin has just started a new thing.
You can purchase a lifetime subscription (life of a single unit) of upgrades for your maps for one price. Its a good deal if you have a Garmin.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Coralee,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 that my husband bought a waterproof case for. I use it in my car and on my S'wing. I have pictures of the waterproof case and location in my album.

Regards,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:14 am

Hi All,
Do you suppose a person could just "borrow" a GPS unit from someone else and use it to check actual mph readings and then mark your own speedometer accordingly? I know the GPS's are handy dandy items but for right now I'm mainly concerned about keeping my speed right near posted limits. I've received two "warnings" (that probably should have been speeding tickets) from a couple of friendly law enforcement officers within the last six years. So, what with the error range of the SWing speedometer, I'd like to keep a closer tally.
Back to top Go down

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am

DickO wrote:
what with the error range of the SWing speedometer, I'd like to keep a closer tally.

I've compared my GPS to the MPH in my car, and it is always about 5 mph off.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:22 am

Hi Mandy,
And thanks for the reply. After a parade a couple of weeks ago (our American Legion Riders were in it), my wife followed me home in the car (she ain't brave enough to ride with me yet). She said that when we left that I sure got a long way away very fast. We decided we'd do like you said and use the car one of these days to compare the mph. Problem is, I'm not 100% sure that the car speedometer is all that accurate. I think it is, after going past a couple of those highway speed checking machines over the past year; but, ya' never know. Hence, I think it would be fun and interesting to experiment with someone else's GPS unit. Maybe I'll get one of my fellow Legion riders (if one of them has one) to clock me on our next ride.

Last edited by DickO on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPS assistance Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS assistance   GPS assistance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GPS assistance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: