Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

what grade of fuel does everyone use?

Go down 
+44
dovahkiin
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
Mech 1 twa
Terry Smith
john grinsel
Murf
Loosemarbles
Scootypuff Snr
Winger61
steve_h80
Jolly Bodger
dekare
Meldrew
cotetoi
exavid
cliffyk
lloyd193
Dale N.
joeam
mrcaveman
hotwings
txtrkdrvr
hobbykim
kbcmdba
rollsroyce250
Old Sloppy
som2002
Stvwilley
Darkeswinger
Okiedolkle
oldgoat
DarthJ
eddy
RickV
midlandchip
alloo
robert
GHM-PM
tinman
MikeO
larryinseattle
dikkiedo
48 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dikkiedo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-01-16

what grade of fuel does everyone use? Empty
PostSubject: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 am

i have always used premieum gas in all my scooters just because i figured it was better for the engine ,and it wasnt much difference in price when you only put a dollar or two in. does anyone use reg rather then premieum for their swing and if so do you see any difference in performance,MPG or such?
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 5:46 am

I use regular all the time in my SW or my Goldwing.

Here is a website that lists the gas stations in your state which sells gas without the alcohol.

My bike runs real nice on this stuff. It is worth it.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 am

The lower of the two grades available here - 95RON (the other is 98).
It's cheaper and what the Silverwing's set up for. Wink
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 am

The lower grade is what i use,and and hight test for winter hibernation . motorcycle
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 8:20 am

My dealer and my owner's manual says the 'Wing can run on regular so that is what it gets!!! Why spend more dosh if the scoot doesn't need it?
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:50 am

+1
Back to top Go down
alloo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Regular 87
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 pm

I use regular 87 and get 55 mpg average. I have never tried a higher octane grade.
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I use non-ethanol fuel most of the time and in MN that means premium - there is a provision in the law which allows non-ethanol fuel sales for small engines, boats, snowmobiles, collector cars and motorcycles - only a few gas stations carry the non-ethanol. Any cost difference in the price for fueling the Silverwing sort of gets lost in rounding when I fill up my Ford Windstar Minivan. In addition, I have had issues with ethanol fuel with my 1974 Starcraft I/O, 1979 Kaw. KZ650, my snowblower and my 2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500!!! Absolutely no winter storage with any ethanol fuel!!! There is already a law on MN books to move from E10 to E15 in a few years - hopefully this special provision is part of that law.

Rick V

Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:07 am

In Europe mostly there is the choice between E98 and E95.
Sometimes E10 = a mix with 10% bio gas.

I don't experience a difference in E98 and E95.
( power, consuming )

No knowledge about E10.

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 am

It does seem strange that ethanol has been around for 40 years or so and the problems (fuel lines etc.) have been well documented. Wouldn't one think that these problems would have been addressed by now?

Personally I have had no ethanol related problems in any of my vehicles; even my 1974 CT's; of course the fuel lines have been replaced and other things as well.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:50 am

RickV wrote:
There is already a law on MN books to move from E10 to E15 in a few years - hopefully this special provision is part of that law.

Rick V

Going to be a problem for some, some cars flat out state no higher than E10.
Back to top Go down
oldgoat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
oldgoat

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Regular, 'cos Honda says so.
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Octane   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 pm

I'll be rcv'g an operator's manual in a few days for my 2002 SWing so I'm not sure what octane will be suggested. However, on the sticker in the luggage compartment it indicates to use 91 RON min. (I'll have to dig deeper into this "rating" method stuff)
Also, the sticker indicates to refer to the Ops manual concerning gas w/alcohol. I hoping it will say: not more than 10% and not -- 'do NOT use gas w/alcohol! That would be a bummer.
Homer
Back to top Go down
alloo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Regular 87
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I wish that premium did make a difference in performance, but alas, it does not (in my scoot). I use regular.

I've not tried airplane gas, or any octane boosting stuff.
Back to top Go down
Stvwilley
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-07-05

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Bought a new 09 model S-W recently. Selling dealer said to never use gas older than 2 months. Got the 600v mile at a local Honda dealer who said the same. Apparently the alcohol content absorbs moisture over time. I do have a 300 gallon farm tank here that gets filled once a year and the gas seems fine in all autos and chainsaw etc, but sure nuff storing over winter, even after draining that gas, the small engines won't start. The dealer's advice was to fill with premium from a couple of local sources, which has no alcohol, and lasts over a year.
Sad that the bio-fuels have limitations in lifetime and fuel mileage, because local production is a big advantage on supply side of things.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

I use 87 octaine gasoline , however You can use 15% "Dieselene" with no ill effects other than the slight smell.

Harry
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 pm

I use straight diesel. It gives me the best performance and I fog for mosquitoes as I ride.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 2:11 am

Shell 87 most of the time and an enzyme to deal with the alcohol. Enzyme gives about 3-8mpg boost.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 am

kbcmdba wrote:
Shell 87 most of the time and an enzyme to deal with the alcohol. Enzyme gives about 3-8mpg boost.

KB

Enzyme? Snake oil? If not, details please?
Back to top Go down
hobbykim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am

I use 89 seen new,I try use 87 but not run better than 89 so I switch back to 89.You try 89 you can feel engine run better,I use 92 but I don't like much.

Last edited by hobbykim on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm

I buy the least expensive fuel in town. 90% of the time I buy Walmart/ Murphy's fuel. It's almost always the cheapest around. Plus if you go into the store and put money on a gift card, when you slide the card at the pump, you get an additional .03 cents a gallon of the pump price, .05 cents a gallon if you use a WallyWorld Visa. I average 54 mpg with strictly in town fair weather riding. 300 miles ago I put a Sumitomo dark side tire on the rear. I'm almost ready for another fill up, it will be interesting to see if the tire affects MPG.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 4:46 pm

I use the cheapest grade at the pumps. Tried the highest grade but found absolutely no difference to performance or milage so why bother!!
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:11 pm

txtrkdrvr wrote:
I put a Sumitomo dark side tire on the rear. I'm almost ready for another fill up, it will be interesting to see if the tire affects MPG.

The #1 item to affect fuel mileage is your right wrist.....

The #2 item is tire air pressure, the higher pressure gives the least rolling resistance, It is possible that a DS tire has harder rubber and may help with mileage.

however My biggest concern is getting the tires to wear longer so I run 21 psi and I "make due" with 52 - 53 mpg.

I allso drive a little fast, this hurts gas mileage a little....

21 psi. actually causes the tires to vibrate when over 100 mph.

but I have allmost 22,000 miles on my front tire.

I had 11,000 miles on my origional rear tire and have passed that mark with the replacement tire and continue to rack up miles ..not worn out yet...

Harry

Last edited by Old Sloppy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:19 pm

hobbykim wrote:
I use 89 seen new,I try 87 but not run better than 89 so I switch back to 89.You try 89 you can feel engine run better,I use 92 but I don't like much.

The engine is calibrated to run best with 87 octane, this in effect advances the spark timing for maximum power, but not the smoothest idle.

running 89 octaine will in effect retard the spark causing smoother feeling at idle but reduced torque and slightly reduced power.

92 octane takes it a step further...........even more spark retard, enough that you don't like the overall effects......
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I run on regular gas, 32 lbs front,and 39 lbs rear,and average 68 mpg with MC tire. Now with 155 70 DS tire,and 34 lbs,i average 72 mpg . Smile
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Slight dilemma here, re: octane. Information contained on a sticker 'fastened' inside the storage box of my 2002 SWing, it indicates to use 91 octane RON. In my 2002 Owner's Manual, it says use Octane with a Pump Octane number of 86 (or higher).

I've run both and I find the engine running quieter and a little smoother using 91. And it might be my imagination, but the SWing appears to have a little more pep.

No scientific evaluations about my impressions mind you, just a gut feeling from sound & feel.

(Maybe it is because I am running the Honda SWing with a Danson Trike Conversion kit)

Just my two cents ... Smile
Homer
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Okiedolkle wrote:
Slight dilemma here, use 91 octane RON. Octane with a Pump Octane number of 86 (or higher).
Homer

RON does not equal Octane.
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 am

RON does not equal Octane.[/quote]

Yea, I think the RON nomenclature indicates the "rating method." But, the label does indicate 91 Octane.

I guess the answer for me is to run the octane that I feel works best in my scooter. I just came back from a 20 mile trip, and listening to the motor "purr" helps me to make that decision. It just confuses poor, little, ole, non-mechanic me when there are two different recommendations (from the manufacturer).

Not a BIG deal tho --- except for the cost! affraid

Homer
Back to top Go down
mrcaveman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 am

I agree with 'old Sloppy', the engine is set to run just fine on 87. If you run anything else, the SW is always trying to adjust and compensate fuel settings and you are spitting into the wind. Not to mention wasting money.... but again the oil companies love you for chosing a higher grade.....
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 am

mrcaveman wrote:
If you run anything else, the SW is always trying to adjust and compensate fuel settings and you are spitting into the wind.

There is no knock sensor or wide band O2 sensor for the engine to adjust its timing based on the octane of the fuel.
The engine doesn't care what octane it burns, nor will it adjust for different octanes.
Back to top Go down
joeam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-07-14

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am

old thread new swing owner wondering what octane as i am hearing what sounds like engine rattle on the 07 swing with 15380 miles. The sound appears on acceleration and sounds like valves or lifters but i know nothing about these scoots
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I use the regular 87 grade. Never tried anything else. I get around 50 mpg.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Most riders prefer saving money at the pump. Here in the South East U.S. Temperatures often approach a Hundred Degrees Farenheidt.

The Higher the temperature and or the work load the higher the Octane Requirement to prevent pre ignition or engine destroying detonation.

The 10.2 Compression ratio on the Silverwing is borderline high octane requiring, Although most riders will save money at the pump opting for 87 or 89 as apposed to 91 Octane.

The riders who use the lower grade fuel in these heated conditions experience more engine trouble than the high test buyers. Also noted are the large carbon build up's particurally on the back of the valves and in the combustion chambers in the lower octane 87 as opposed to the high test 91 octane engines.

The new Iridium spark plugs have solved the frequent plug changes in the 87 octane engines where the build up and short plug life was a factor.

Happy motoring lloyd 193
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 pm

FWIW I have used nothing but 87 octane E-10 in my '06 since I got it in May of last year; 6500 miles or so, in two Florida summers now; with no problems of any sort--no pinking, pinging, knocking or any other fuel related issues.

I did read through the original posts from 2012 and found some confusion as to "RON" fuel recommendations and "octane" recommendations. In fact however RON is just one of the two more common methods for determing a fuel's octane rating. RON is the Research Octane Number, the other is MON, the Motor Octane Number, determined using methods that in part simulate real world conditions.

Though not directly related for a given fuel the MON will always be 8 to 12 points lower than the RON value. Most countries use the RON to indicate fuel "octane" on pumps; but in Canada, the US and a few other countries an average of  the RON and MON (R+M)/2 is posted at the pump.

Because MON is always lower than RON the (R+M)/2 value will also always be lower than the RON for the same fuel. This often creates confusion in international forums such as this where some quote their manuals as specifying 91 octane (RON)  and other swear their manual say 87 octane (R+M)/2.

For example, we test some gasoiline and find that it has a RON of 91 and a MON of 83, an 8 point difference. The (R+M)/2 rating for that fuel will be (91 + 83) / 2 = 87 octane--same gasoline, different sides of the ocean.

Rule of thumb: the (R+M)/2 octane rating will be 4 to 6 points lower than the RON rating, for the same fuel. Here's a good Octane 101 white paper...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 pm

The Silverwing engine doesn't require higher octane fuel because it has a low enough compression ratio to prevent detonation. Higher octanes actually are designed to ignite at a higher flash point than regular to prevent compression ignition in high compression engines. You don't get more power from the stuff so it's a waste of money in the Silverwing, no benefit at all.
None ethanol gasoline is worth using in my opinion even it the octane rating is more than needed and it doesn't contain that damnable hydroscopic alcohol. Less corrosion and easier on seals in the fuel system.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 10:24 pm

My riding buddies still swear by high octane in their bikes. I have always used regular 87 octane in my bikes ( VLX 600, ACE 750, 05 SWing, 98 VT 1100T, 86 Helix and 07 SWing) . They cringe every time I fill up, but they fail to notice that my bikes all ran and still run very well. I do buy high octane premium for my lawnmower and snowblower. My 98 yr-old neighbor swears by it, and I'm not arguing with that much experience.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 12:26 am

I use high octane in my BMW 650GT scooter but that's what's called for because it has a high compression engine. The BMW squeezes more hp out of each cc than the Honda engine. My preference would have been a slightly lower compression and horsepower for the ccs which makes for a longer lived engine.
A lot of Honda's bikes and cars for that matter are designed for long life and low maintenance. The engine in a Goldwing operates more like a tractor engine than a race car. It's large displacement slow turning and fairly low compression. That's why a friend of mine has a 1993 Goldwing 1500 with 400,000 miles on it. The design philosophy of the Silverwing is along the same idea as the Goldwing, long life and reliability.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 am

Hygroscopic, with a "g"...

The compression ratio value most commonly stated is the static ratio, calculated using the total length of an engine's stroke. It is an interesting number but not entirely related to an engine's octane requirements.

Another compression ratio value, more related to octane needs, is the dynamic ratio; calculated using the stroke remaining before TDC after the intake valve closes--as on most gasoline engines the intake valve closes after BDC the dynamic CR is mostly always less than the static CR.

The intake valve in our engines closes at 39° ABDC. I have not done the math to determine remaining stroke however I would "guesstimate" this brings the dynamic CR in at 9.3:1 or so.

Then to further complicate things there is the actual compression ratio--or more correctly actual compression vs. ambient pressure--which includes factors for intake charge density (akin to manifold vacuum, but more dynamic).

So at the end, though static CR is an indicator of an engine's octane requirements it is not an especially good one; dynamic CR (precisely calculated or estimated by observing intake timing) is a much better number to consider.

Then there's forced induction...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am

Wow, great discussion.

The Silverwing's 5000 to 6000 RPMs @ 65 MPH can hardly compare with a Goldwing's "slow turning, low compression" 2500 RPMs at a similar cruising speed though. However that there are several high mileage Silverwings still on the street speaks to the quality of Honda's design and engineering.

Actually though even at those high operating RPMs Silverwing's outlive their owners as well.

Oh, this was a fuel discussion. I found that my 2003 SW and my 2009 SW got noteably better tank range when I used Shell 87 octane. So how come the better performance with Shell vs other big name fuel providers?

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 am

rollsroyce250 wrote:
I use straight diesel. It gives me the best performance and I fog for mosquitoes as I ride.

? Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm

cliffyk - Hygroscopic, with a "g"...

Indeed. The older I get the poorer my spelling.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 am

Some of you really do seem to make hard work of buying fuel for the Silver Wing in the US. Back here where we pull up for fuel, the pumps have Unleaded (95 Octane), Super Unleaded (97 Octane) and some petrol stations may have another pump dispensing an even higher octane performance fuel and that's it. The pump hoses are green for petrol and black for Diesel, that's it. The basic Unleaded is what the Silver Wing runs on, and it's a couple of pence a litre cheaper than Super Unleaded. Supermarket petrol is cheaper than High Street, and on our motorways it's more expensive, that's it.

A simple procedure that we do without getting hung up on Ethanol, compression ratios, heat and humidity, and of course what the Gold Wing does.

Oh, and we might be required to remove our helmets 'for security purposes' before the pumps are turned on at some petrol stations, Evil or Very Mad that's it.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am

Meldrew wrote:
Some of you really do seem to make hard work of buying fuel for the Silver Wing in the US.

Some people sure do and it's not limited to only this site, I'm members of others as well, and it's all the same, what fuel should I use, what tires and what kind of oil? Sometimes one wonders if they actually dress themselves in the morning. All kidding aside, and to be fair, there are probably crops of new people riding motorcycles that perhaps are new to them. Mine was new to me as well, that's why I read my manual when I first got it, and refer to it as need be.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Some of you really do seem to make hard work of buying fuel for the Silver Wing in the US. Back here where we pull up for fuel, the pumps have Unleaded (95 Octane), Super Unleaded (97 Octane) and some petrol stations may have another pump dispensing an even higher octane performance fuel and that's it. The pump hoses are green for petrol and black for Diesel, that's it. The basic Unleaded is what the Silver Wing runs on, and it's a couple of pence a litre cheaper than Super Unleaded. Supermarket petrol is cheaper than High Street, and on our motorways it's more expensive, that's it.

A simple procedure that we do without getting hung up on Ethanol, compression ratios, heat and humidity, and of course what the Gold Wing does.

Oh, and we might be required to remove our helmets 'for security purposes' before the pumps are turned on at some petrol stations, Evil or Very Mad that's it.

This is especially true when you consider that 87 octane* here costs just $2.09/gallon--about 42p per liter...

--------------------------
* - (R+M)/2
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

£1.10/litre here Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
£1.10/litre here Crying or Very sad

Wow, that $5.43 per gallon!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 pm

42p a litre!!! And you worry about saving a few pennies on low octain fuel?
Occasionally I take out a mortgage to fill the tank with shell ultra for its supposed cleaning properties, but usually it just regular 95 octane. I can't say I notice any difference. The car does have a teeny bit more torque on the expensive stuff but not enough to justify the price.
To be honest I don't get too precious about it, the only thing I really worry about is an empty tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what grade of fuel does everyone use?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next