Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!

Go down 
+3
CathyN
realbtl
GHM-PM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Empty
PostSubject: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 8:52 pm

I left at about 7 am to beat the heat in Arizona and took a short ride. I wanted to share with you as I adjust to the 'Wing and make sure I have the "photo" thing down.
Left Wickenburg, AZ and headed up to the Shrine of St. Joseph approximately a 30 mile ride, up hill with some good twisties to test the Silver Wing.

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Shrine

This is a Catholic type monument and is pretty cool up in the mountains. Lots of religious history etc. to read and see. Quite neat to see no matter what your faith!

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Shrine1

Just one of the statues present. This entire Shrine is funded by individuals (not churches) and is run by volunteers!

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Overlook

After visiting the Shrine it was already starting to heat up so I headed back to Wickenburg. Here is the overlook at the top of the Yarnell hill. From here you can see a large dairy farm and beyond that the town of Congress, AZ.

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Cows

Not sure you can make this out but there were COWS on the downhill! I have never seen this here in over 30 years of traveling this hill. I had a hard time getting around them as the 'wing was so quiet that they weren't sure what or where I was! Finally I honked and they moved to one side and I squeaked by them. Glad I wasn't traveling 70 mph and found them on a blind curve...

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Bike

Here is another bike coming up Yarnell Hill! It is very popular with bikers due to the nice twisties and good quality of road.

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Station

This and the next couple of pictures are of a replica of an old gasoline station!

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Station1

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! Station2

This whole trip was only about 60 miles and with the Shrine took about 3 hours in all. In all fun; but by the time I got home the temps were nearing 100 degrees. Thank God I have a mesh jacket with armor. Probably not as good as my heavy leather/armored jacket but that one is just too hot to wear now!!!

Hope you enjoyed this brief trip.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Very nice. I guess I can't complain about it being hot (80 degrees) in Idaho yesterday.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice!!
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Looks like a fun ride. I live in South Carolina but I'm from Flagstaff. Your pics make me miss the desert. I used to love riding down the 17 early in the morning watching the sun rise over Camp Verde.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 pm

It sure looks like you have the "photo" thing down. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks for taking me along on your journey with the pics and the ride report.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks for the nice comments! I would like a longer ride but temps have been pretty high lately (105 or so) so either ride at night (can't see worth a crap LOL) or early morning!!!
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:59 am

I was down your way in mid April and when I pulled into Phoenix, it was 102. Kinda hot for us PNW guys who are used to 50 degree winters with 100% cloud cover.

But boy was it nice to find the sun in your neck of the woods. Below is my brother on his Helix and me on my SW heading north towards Wickenburg.

Yesterday morning, it was 60 degrees and it got up to 68 for the high.

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! 011
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:13 am

And I thought it was hot here in Maryland earlier in the week when
it hit 89F

How does the Wing's cooling system hold up in 102 degree heat ?

My previous bikes have all been air cooled
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 am

I didn't notice any problems keeping the bike in the proper operating zone. Neither the Helix or the SW had any problems.

The operators had to be careful of dehydration and sun burn.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:29 am

surlybiker58 wrote:

How does the Wing's cooling system hold up in 102 degree heat ?

No problems as to the temperature gauge; did fine when riding. I did notice when I stopped it for a few minutes and then restarted, the fan came on for a short time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!   Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Short ride to Yarnell, AZ to beat the heat!
Page 1 of 1