Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brake light only working on one lever

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ollya
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Brake light only working on one lever Empty
PostSubject: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 am

Hi all,

Apologies, being a bit lazy with this one!
Hoping to get some ideas before I start troubleshooting on the bike as it's so damn cold out at the mo!

I have a problem that the brake light only works on the right hand brake lever.
When the left is used, no brake light comes on.
The switch is working on the left lever though as you need to squeeze this for starting.

Any suggestions?
Are there 2 switches on the left lever?

Thanks in advance.

Olly
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am

The left "brake switch" is actually a ganged (two part) switch -with 4 wires. The 1st part of the switch is for the brake light, the 2nd part is the start switch.

Seems as if the brake light portion of the switch isn't working. So replace the switch --it's a one piece item. It may be that there are different size wire terminals on the switch so that you 'can't' miswire the connections, but if not, you'll just remember which wires go to which terminals.

IIRC the brake switches are 'normally closed'. Which means that you could well meter check the switch and find out that there is continuity through the switch. That means that the brake lever causes the switch to 'open' which in completes the brake light circuit
Back to top Go down
ollya
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info.
I knew someone far more knowledgable than me would have the answer!
I'll give the switch some attention and replace if necessary.
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Make sure you are sat down when they tell you the price! The switch isn't available from anywhere apart from main dealers. Easy to fit so no need to pay them to fit it.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Or before you start getting technical, just spray the offending switch with moisture-dispersing spray and squeeze the lever half a dozen times, it might be just a bit of dirt or corrosion.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

Mine was 'cream crackered' and it was a sealed unit. £40 from local Honda dealer. Right hand side one was £5 to replace as not a generic part.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light only working on one lever   Brake light only working on one lever I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake light only working on one lever
Page 1 of 1