Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 7:17 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch / Friction zone

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
model28a
jcarlburg
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jcarlburg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-13

Clutch / Friction zone Empty
PostSubject: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello,

I have a 2003 Silverwing with 12,000 miles that I purchased with about 11,250 miles.

It is perfect in every way except what I would call the "friction zone" when you go from a stop to start rolling.

I think that on this scooter, the point where the friction begins is at too high of an RPM point, to where you can't comfortably control it at very low speeds, such as parking or very slow turns, because you can't add "slight" power to it. It's either no power, or a lunge of power.

I got it for my girlfriend and she's a new rider and it's difficult for her. I've ridden a motorcycle for 20 years and it catches me off guard.

Should you be able to feel a smooth power transition at slow speeds? Should it feel like how the automatic transmission in a car lets you add gentle power at slow speeds? Does this sound like a clutch rebuild? Maybe the clutch is glazed from the previous owner doing probably 100% slow riding. I was on the Interstate and for fun I went to full power, and it accelerated but I got a strong smell of asbestos, so maybe it is glazed.

Any comments much appreciated. Thank you! Smile

Sincerely,

James
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm

You could try to hold the back break a little when you are giving it some gas at the same time. Kind of like how you use clutch on a regular bikes "friction zone", see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Bike that old, low miles-----first get shop manual (honda) take clutch apart, change belt (based on age), make sure everything else is in order.

SilverWing not best bike for beginner----lots of power to put you in weeds. Send her to training course on the SilverWing. Remember rear brake can be used as balancing aid(yes I know the brakes are linked, but rear comes on first). Also the trans is not an auto but a salisbury(sp?) depending on RPM to engage.

After 6 Hondas, 2 Suzuki, 1 Daelim, 1 Yamaha with this type trans---I see no problems, other than belt change intervals. OEM belts work best.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 am

Like John says, check out the belt, and while you're in there take some sandpaper on a block and deglaze the clutch pads, assuming they aren't worn out.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

As you will find reading old posts here, if a Silverwing is used too gently, you will find the clutch can get a glaze on it and cause some chatter upon take-off. Several hard accelerations usually removes the glaze and the chatter. The other, quicker alternative to accelerating hard, is to put the Swing on the center stand, start the machine, hold the left brake (rear) and rev it to about 5000 rpm for 5 seconds.

Regarding slow manuevers (sp?), try holding the throttle steady and slowing down by squeezing the left/rear brake. It holds the clutch in place at slow speeds.

Your belt is getting old (probably 8 or 9 years since manufacture) and you may want to replace it. It is not a difficult job, and there is an excellent pictorial on this site. I also have an '03, and I changed the belt last summer at 16,000 miles. It looked in very good shape still and I kept it for an emergency spare.

Welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Before you try to fix/adjust anything you may want a buddy to ride it (or take it to a dealer and have them ride it). Could be there is nothing to fix/adjust - rather the rider needs more experience. I initially took my SWing to a dealer and asked them to ride it (in this case it was at freeway speed conditions as I was a bit afraid of the buffeting/handling at 70mph) - they said it rode normal/fine - and they were right (just took me a while to get used to it and a Givi Airflow windshield). I also initially had trouble at slow speeds - but after 4000 miles it feels totally natural. It may take a while to get balance, counter balance, brake, and throttle all working together so that you can expertly maneuver at slow speeds. Always think ahead when parking so that you hopefully AVOID doing maneuvers with which you are not comfortable (parking downhill, tight spaces, etc.). In summary, let an experienced rider have a go on your SWing - then you will know for sure if it is a RIDER or MECHANICAL issue that needs work!
Back to top Go down
jcarlburg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 am

Many thanks to everyone for their input. I totally agree with Dimond about rider experience. The back brake is how I've compensated. I think I'll replace the belt and service the clutch this weekend and see if that will smooth out the lunge. I'm really smooth rolling on and off the throttle on my VFR on the track. It sounds like the Silverwing clutch is glazed because I checked tonight and it is about 2700 RPM before the Silverwing will leave a stop on its own, and that seems too high and probably explains the sudden lunge of power.

Thanks to everyone. I did find the video on clutch rebuild and the belt is straightforward. Thank you thank you!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
jcarlburg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Hello! I had the clutch rebuilt and deglazed and a new belt and WOW that solved everything. No wonder it was touchy-touchy before and now it's perfect. I didn't change the weights on the clutch system yet so I could feel the factory intended feel, so I'll stick with that. Thanks to everyone with this! - James Smile
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Nice to hear that its better now Smile

At what revs is the clutch biting now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
jcarlburg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:05 pm

It's breaking in but right around 2200 RPM instead of 2700 RPM. It's so gradual, it feels like a smoothly released wet clutch on a motorcycle and easy to roll on and roll off the throttle in slow maneuvering. It's nice to know what "new" feels like so I can now realize how badly glazed it was. The belt was also crystalized. 12K miles but 9 years old.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I need to check when my clutch grabs. What did you do to deglaze the clutch, is it just sanding the clutch shoes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch / Friction zone   Clutch / Friction zone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch / Friction zone
Page 1 of 1