Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scooter skirts??

Go down 
+8
Waspie
exavid
Dale
Skippy
roadrunner
Cornishman
honda_silver
JeffR
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 9:16 pm

At first I thought it was a women's scooter club. (no sexist offense meant)......I learn something new everyday....... I would have never thought of this. They seem kind of pricey at $135 and I wonder how they keep from blowing off.

http://www.scooterskirts.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:39 am

Robin,

I rode in a group ride once with the guy in the picture and he seemed to like it. I don't think the SWing needs one since it gives such good protection. I can't remember how they attach but he never had any trouble with it at all. I personnally couldn't have one but some people like them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 2:12 am

JeffR wrote:
I personnally couldn't have one but some people like them.

Are we still talking about skirts Razz
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:08 am

Over here they're called Aprons and the most popular made by a company called Turcano Urbano http://scooter-wear.com/tucano-urbano-scooter-accessories-1994-0.html I think the Apron fastens to the scooter with belts at various anchor points.

I don't particularly care for the Apron but can see why some commuters do as one could wear business clothes under it.

They also make waterproof quick fit trousers/pants which fasten with Velcro I think.
Back to top Go down

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:00 am

I actually have thought about those. I saw them on another forum that was mostly Vespas. The only thing that gets cold on me is my thighs. I wear knee socks with my boots and layer up on top but it's always my legs that get cold. I have worn my rain pants but they are bulky. As a women I think it would work, not sure as a guy I would use one but to each his own. I've though about knee length chaps...actually tights would be easier.
Back to top Go down

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 am

Ok I see now. The ones on Scooterskirt.com that I saw first look more like a blanket thrown over one's knees. In the picture, I couldn't see any straps. I envisioned it blowing up in your face as you ride down the road.

The ones on Scooter-wear.com look more like a custom-fit, soft, side cover, strapped on to the bike. I saw one for a Burgman but not for the Swing. That would be nice on a blustery morning.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:13 pm

I wear my Kevlar mesh pants (which allow all the air to pass through) even during the winter. During the winter month I used to (have to) ride with my rain (wind-resistent) pants and jacket underneath when the temperature dropped.

For Christ-mas this year I received a Powerlet heated liner 100W Cool , one thing to note is that the heated liner is not wind resistent just rain resistent. To test the heated liner, I only wore my Kevlar mesh jacket and pants with the Powerlet heated liner ... which is like wearing only a pair of jeans and boots.

If the trip was not an extended trip (less than a couple of hours), I found that I no longer needed the rain pants. So if you have/add a heated liner you may find that your lower extremities may not be cold anymore.

If the trip was exteneded trip, I would add my rain pants and on a rare occasion add my rain jacket on top of the heated liner.

Now I am warm and toasty during the Texas winters sunny ... and yes it feels very cold outside to me during the winter.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 10:43 pm

This is kind of an old thread, but with all the talk about cold/winter riding, I'm wondering if anyone has had any more recent experience with scooter skirts/aprons. I noticed that Honda UK has a skirt for the Silver Wing. Any chance we can get these on the left side on the pond?
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:33 am

Bill,

They seem very popular with urban riders here in the UK, esp around town on small capacity machines. I have an account within the motorcycle industry and am able to get hold of these at a very reasonable cost - my main reason for not doing so is mainly because of the lack of information about them i.e. how they fit on the bike etc.

The two I am able to obtain, seem to be aimed at the smaller machines. One appears to be no more than a 'skirt' that velcro's around your waist and is shaped some what to fit over your knees. The other is a little larger and the brief description says it has straps and clips to keep it in place around the scooter body work.

As to getting hold of them in the US:

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/scooter-blanket_08t56krj800/

This firm will ship to you, but double check the postage costs first - having said that €83 is very good value for an item that is actually a Honda specified for the bike rather than an aftermarket item.

I'd like to have a chat also with anybody who's used one to find out what effect if any they have on machine control etc.
Back to top Go down
Dale
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Saw a lot of these when visiting Paris and Darmstadt four years ago. It was this same time of year. I had forgotten about them 'til reminded today. I'm getting along fine with my insulated coveralls, but the skirt, blanket, apron looks to be easier on and off.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh man, Snuggly for scooters. Nah, I ain't goin' there... :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 am

All I see with these scooter 'skirts' is a huge snagging hazard. Am I alone?

I always visualise coming to a halt, trying to lower legs from under the skirt, foot/feet getting snagged in the skirt and toppling over.

No matter what anyone says in defence of this piece of kit I cannot like the item. I would never ride with one. As someone has already said, the large maxi scooters already provide masses of protection from the elements.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:33 pm

I bought a Bagster apron for my Honda CN 250 Helix years ago, and I still have it in as new condition. It's heavy duty black PVC with a grey deep fibre pile lining, and once you'd figured out the badly photocopied instructions in French, it was pretty easy to fit and could be rolled up out of the way of your legs when not in use.

It had an elastic loop which went over your head like a cook's apron to allow the apron to good chest coverage, and off the scoot the same bit could be used to cover rider and passenger seats in rainy weather.

I can't say I used it that much because after a long ride in crosswinds every time a gust of wind got under the apron it sent the Helix off course. It was scary and I can still remember my bum was puckering up in fright! I took the apron off as soon as the weather improved and more or less forgot about it.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:44 pm

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those.
Looks like the guy's on the way to the nursing home.
More of a John Grinsel thing. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 am

OK, you guys have talked me out of wanting one.

Thanks, Skippy, for the research and the link. Although 83 Euros is reasonble for a genuine Honda accessory, the 43 Euro shippng charge to Florida is a bit prohibitive.

I personally don't care what it looks like riding down the highway; if I gave a damn about that I'd ride a Harley like the rest of the guys in this area who care more about form than function. But there's enough anecdotal evidence about the function of skirts, especially on a big scooter, that I'm not willing to chance it.

Thanks again, everyone. That's why this is such a great forum!
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:36 pm

rolling laughter You guys make me laugh. I love it.

Cathy rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:14 pm

To be honest, I consider getting one for Sally (my Pillion) - she seems to feel the wind blast on the back far more than I do. I suppose a little modification here and there would make it practical to use.

Me, I think to be honest I'll stick to my German Army issue Gortex winter over trousers; a great bit of kit at the fantastic price of £10! There again I could just get Sal the same type of trousers I've got, a lot less hassle LOL Smile
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:18 pm

I have been to Europe several times and those skirts are very popular there....they also serve as a cover to keep the seat dry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
Sponsored content

Scooter skirts?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter skirts??   Scooter skirts?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scooter skirts??
Page 1 of 1