Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speedometer calibration

Go down 
+7
mrcaveman
MarkB
JeffR_
Waspie
MikeO
DickO
ArdenL
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ArdenL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Speedometer calibration Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 pm

My speedometer is 6% fast per my GPS. Is there any simple method of recalibration avaliable?
Merry Christmas everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Simple? Nope.

Be grateful yours is so close, mine is off by a full 10%.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm

I don't have a GPS to guage my speedometer error with so... taking everyones' explanations into account, I just use my five MPH rule: If the sign says XX mph I just add 5 mph to the sign amount and call it even. I think for the most part that it still keeps me somewhat under legal speed limits. Of course, if I'm feelin' my oats, I go ahead and giv'er hell anyway. Wink Smile Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 12:23 pm

I do the same - just add a few MPH (KPH's here).

I think it's fairly common knowledge that manufacturers factor in an allowance for inevitable inaccuracies in speedometers so they can't be blamed if riders and drivers inadvertently exceed speed-limits.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm

DickO wrote:
Of course, if I'm feelin' my oats, I go ahead and giv'er hell anyway. Wink Smile Twisted Evil

Works for me DickO, Laughing .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 10:47 am

Mine is like Dicko's I think too. When going at interstate speeds mine is off right at 5 mph. If I'm doing over 90 mph than it is about 6-7 miles over. But I think all bikes have this error built into them.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:33 pm

At highway speeds my speedometer-to-GPS variance is 7-8 mph. But since i usually keep my GPS in the left glovebox, I just fallback on the old 'speed + 10' rule: Whatever the posted limit is, you can (usually) ride hassle-free with an additional 10mph on the speedometer. (Doesn't mean I don't ride faster - but the 'hassle-free' warm and fuzzies start to diminish. Smile
Back to top Go down
mrcaveman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

My vtx 1300R is off 6 to 7 mph at most ranges. However, my 2011 silverwing is right on. Not sure why, but I have mounted two different gps models and the speedo is right on at all speeds. Wonder why? I am wondering if they (honda) decided to make it all right. For what every reason I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm

mrcaveman wrote:
My vtx 1300R is off 6 to 7 mph at most ranges. However, my 2011 silverwing is right on. Not sure why, but I have mounted two different gps models and the speedo is right on at all speeds. Wonder why? I am wondering if they (honda) decided to make it all right. For what every reason I'm happy.

You should be able to sell your speedo to someone who can't subtract. Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 am

My SW speedo is 5 off at 60 mph. I get better gas mileage that way?

For every 100 on the odometer, I have gone 8 less than actual? So my calculations are in favor of better mpg than it actually is. I really don't care what my odometer says how far it is to Portland.... but my GPS knows. Anyone calculate their gas mileage using the gps vs the actual gas used?

I have not done this and probably won't. I have to pay the fiddler anyway but thought someone has done it.

My Goldwing is spot on accurate as most of the 1500's are. The newer 1800's are off by 5 at 60.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Just looking at the statistics l.i.s. and you're in the lead with 112 posts so far this month. Considering the Silver Wing is your 'town bike' what are you posting on Gold Wing forums about your proper bike!

By the way I'm in what was East Germany at the moment, and my TomTom sat nav shows my speed varies by about 5-7 mph from what my speedometer says. I've also got a nice little sticker to put on my Airflow to give me an easy visual conversion of posted kph speed limits to mph. I remember there was some posts about similar aids a while ago.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Just looking at the statistics l.i.s. and you're in the lead with 112 posts so far this month. Considering the Silver Wing is your 'town bike' what are you posting on Gold Wing forums about your proper bike!

Meldrew,

I am honored you asked that question. I retired so I have some extra time.

Also, I felt I had to defend myself from some attacks, so I posted a little more than normal.

It really is none of my business whether or not anyone likes me, so this week, I am posting less.

I have noticed that people are posting on the side of politeness rather than rudeness.

Good manners applies anywhere, online, in the the grocery line or the firing line.

One final answer: You asked what I post on my other forum. Well this past week, I started a thread to assist a member who has fallen on hard times in Florida. I helped raise $1100 for this member to get back on their feet.

If you would like to read about that, here you go:

helping a member out

Thank you for taking the time to notice my self importance.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Meldrew wrote:

By the way I'm in what was East Germany at the moment, and my TomTom sat nav shows my speed varies by about 5-7 mph from what my speedometer says. I've also got a nice little sticker to put on my Airflow to give me an easy visual conversion of posted kph speed limits to mph.

I was in East Berlin three times during my high school days. 1968, 69 70. I played football for the Wurzburg American High School and we traveled to play the Berlin American High School team in West Berlin. Yes, we traveled into East Berlin, behind the Berlin wall. I learned about oppression there. From West Germany, we had to take the supply train through East Germany to reach Berlin.

It was very special to me to see the Berlin Wall come down.

Sorry to anyone who feels like this thread was hijacked....cuz it was!

Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Meldrew,
Can you not change te read-out on the TomTom to read in kilometers? it's easy to do on the Garmin and avoids all the conversions etc.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 pm

To save Meldrew from having to reply about the TomTom being able to show kilometres and miles, the answer is yes it can. The speed can be shown in KPH (kilometres per hour) and route directions can be shown / spoken in kilometres. Considering that TomTom is actually a Dutch firm we should be thankful that they show imperial as well as metric.
Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4171
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:15 am

I'm not blindly relying on the sat nav to do everything for me, if it was infallible it wouldn't have taken me on a tour of Kassel or direct me onto barriered off autobahn sections. Also the more info you want on screen, the harder it is to see.

As for speedo readings in kph, I could convert the digital speedometers of my Helix, and 650 Burgman to kph and occasionally done so.

The little sticker just tells me what a posted kph Speed Limit is in mph and I adjust my speed if necessary.

By the way Mühlhausen is a nice relaxing place to hang out, the old city walls are mainly intact and I had a good wander about yesterday. Somehow the visor ratchet on one side of my Schuberth J1 has broken and I've had to effect a temporary repair. Super glue didn't work, neither did melting a zip tie on the break, so I've made a tape and splint repair which should last until I get home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedometer calibration   Speedometer calibration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedometer calibration
Page 1 of 1