Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start

Go down 
+5
toolboxjesse
"Hi Yo"
jdeereanton
Daboo
compguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start Empty
PostSubject: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 am

My '10 now makes a metal dragging sound when I start off slow. When I push it and do a quick start there is no problem. Also it seems when the scooter gets warmed up that it will stop doing it. As far as performance there is nothing.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Where is the noise coming from? It sounds like your disk brakes might be causing the sound. If so, that's normal.

Chris
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

compguy wrote:
My '10 now makes a metal dragging sound when I start off slow. When I push it and do a quick start there is no problem. Also it seems when the scooter gets warmed up that it will stop doing it. As far as performance there is nothing.

Keith,

It is a little hard to figure out exactly what problem you are describing. Sorry about the lack of performance?

If Daboo has correctly guessed - this might be a good thread to read.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2050-disc-brake-drag?highlight=brakes+drag

I found it by using the search box and typed in the words "brake" and "drag". Got many results, this seemed like the best thread.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 am

I would also make sure the parking brake is fully disengaged. I would set it and disengage it a couole of times. I seem to remember someone having theirs partially set. I know I've tried to ride with mine fully set. Old age is hell, or so Opelsboy tells me. Smile
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 am

I think it's the same whirring that we all get.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 am

Sorry you misunderstood me what I meant was there is no lack of performance at all.

After listening more now I've decided it is sort of a belt sqeeling sound sort of like it's slipping then takes hold. I have 18,000 miles on the scoot and had the belt changed at 15,000. I guess when I'm starting off quickly that I'm forcing the belt to engage immediately and so there is no sound. I'm not thinking it's really serious after all. And it's possible due to the fact I have a hearing loss and my hearing aids have been sent off for repair (witch will take a month) so It's possible it might have been doing it all along and I didn't hear it. One of the problems with my hearing aids was some sounds were blocked.

Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 9:08 am

When acceleration from zero you hear a turkey?

No worries..
In every Silverwing lives a turkey.

It's just the clutch pads friction material , slipping against the clutch bell.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:12 pm

compguy wrote:
After listening more now I've decided it is sort of a belt sqeeling sound sort of like it's slipping then takes hold. I have 18,000 miles on the scoot and had the belt changed at 15,000. I guess when I'm starting off quickly that I'm forcing the belt to engage immediately and so there is no sound. I'm not thinking it's really serious after all. And it's possible due to the fact I have a hearing loss and my hearing aids have been sent off for repair (witch will take a month) so It's possible it might have been doing it all along and I didn't hear it. One of the problems with my hearing aids was some sounds were blocked.

Using the search box I typed the words "Belt" and "Squeal" and was rewarded with a plethora of threads. I chose this one: https://www.silverwing600.com/t2826-squealing-noise?highlight=Belt+Squeal

Read it and review - does it answer your question?

You could also use the forums search feature from any location or any page. It is located to the left of and just below the main menu. This will enable you to customize your search for an answer.

This has moved radically away from a metallic sound. Proper description of the problem is helpful.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 am

X9s are prone to it and it was labelled the 'Squealing Sealion' noise.

Both mine did it when riding in stop-start traffic. My Silverwing does occasionally, too.
I think it's when belt and pulleys heat up a bit - just one of those things.
It never seems to do any damage.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 6:01 am

Guess what? Smile

This thread today:

http://www.x9ownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21220.0;topicseen

Back to top Go down
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 am

So much for being a normal sound. Yesterday it started making a noise that sounded like something inside came loose then a loud belt squeel then it locked up and had to be towed to the dealership.

Perhaps doing a search of "draging noise" wouldn't have helped me much. Sad

I did purchase the extra warranty for $500 when I bought it so? I only have a little over 3000 miles on that belt. I'm thinking maybe a bearing or something.

What scares me is that I've had total trust in Honda and I've been getting the scooter serviced just like I'm suppose to. So I was thinking I had a very realiable scooter and wouldn't think twice about taking off accross country, now I may not have that reliability. However I did also purchase two roadside emergency policies that and one came into play yesterday.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am

Ok I just got a call from the dealership and they said that the dealership in Des Moines that changed my drive belt didn't torgue some bolt correctly and it came loose. I'm going to be back on the road this PM.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

x

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Best to learn to do own work. I use dealers only for warranty work....and after that careful check of what they did. Prevents walking.

There are good bike dealers and people turning wrenches, but few and far between.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:32 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with bigbird on this one...and agree with John Grinsel. Rolling Eyes Laughing

If the nut came off...where did it go while spinning at even 2000 rpms? Usually, it bounces around everywhere till everything stops. Most people who've had this happen on a Burgman 400, were out several hundred dollars replacing parts that were chewed up. The nut is harder steel than the other parts inside.

I guess if the nut didn't come off completely, you could be okay. But it would be interesting to know the extent of what they had to do to get you going again.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:33 pm

x

Back to top Go down
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 pm

I guess I saved having more damage cause when it happened I stopped right away and didn't try to run it anymore. There was some metal scraring but it seems ok as I rode 100 miles today and it worked fine. I'll call the dealership Monday and ask how the belt looked.

I used to do all my own mechanical work till old age and ol Art Ritus moved in on me. Now my fingers won't turn a bolt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start   Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallic Dragging Sound at Slow Start
Page 1 of 1