Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cee Bailey windshield noisy?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SturgisMama
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SturgisMama

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Cee Bailey windshield noisy? Empty
PostSubject: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:20 pm

I just put a Cee Bailey windshield (4" higher than stock, 4" wider) on my new 08 SWing. I was hoping it would reduce wind noice but it's just as noisy or noisier than the stock windshield. Has anyone else had this experience? You folks with Clearview & Givi -- do they knock down the wind noise? I used to ride a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C & didn't get anywhere near this amount of wind noise. The Cee Bailey does not have a part on the the windshield that protects the hands, like I think I've seen on the Givi. Maybe that's a factor? Any help is much appreciated!! Question Shocked
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

SturgisMama wrote:
I just put a Cee Bailey windshield (4" higher than stock, 4" wider) on my new 08 SWing. I was hoping it would reduce wind noice but it's just as noisy or noisier than the stock windshield. Has anyone else had this experience? You folks with Clearview & Givi -- do they knock down the wind noise?

What helmet are you wearing for the comparison??

I originally had a 3/4 Bell helmet (or without a helmet VERY RARE), the difference between OEM and Clearview XL was immediately noticeable.

Then I eventually bought my Shoei Multitech modular helmet. The Multitech has an inlet near the mouth and an outlet at the top of the helmet. With the Clearview XL I do get some wind noise from the top of the helmet from the wind passing over. If I close the top vent (not always practical) the wind noise is greatly reduced. On very long rides I ride with the bees was ear plugs ( http://www.earplugsonline.com ) to reduce fatigue.

Even with a larger windshield the helmet venting could still effect the noise.

SturgisMama wrote:
The Cee Bailey does not have a part on the the windshield that protects the
hands, like I think I've seen on the Givi. Maybe that's a factor? Any
help is much appreciated!! QuestionShocked

The Clearview has the widest windshield and the most protection for the hands.

I would not worry if the Cee Bailey does not have enough hand protections ... if you need it - there are other alternative I have seen to provide hand protection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 pm

SturgisMama,

I have a Cee Bailey screen on my current 07 Silverwing. But mine is only two inches higher and two inches wider and I have no problem with wind noise. The stock screen produced considerably more wind noise (and much less protection) than the C.B. screen.

Also, I wear a Shoei Mulititec most of the time and a Nolan Flip front helmet the rest of the time. But I usually wear foam ear plugs except for trips into town. I don't have a problem with wind noise. Oh, and I usually have all of my vents open on the helmet.

During "winter" (I live in California's Sacramento River Delta area - no snow) weather, I use National Cycle Hand Deflectors to keep the wind and rain off of my hands. When I remove the deflectors, it does not affect the screen's protection or noise level.

By the way, I am very pleased with my Cee Bailey screen. I also had one on my 2004 Silverwing so when I purchased the new Silverwing, the first thing that I put on was the C.B. screen.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey SturgisMama,
My GIVI, which I installed just a couple of months ago, is considerably taller than the stock screen, and, like most, I immediately noticed the reduction of noise and buffeting. I won't say it's 'hushed' but it's a lot more comfortable ride now. That stock screen was a real bear. And doesn't seem to matter one way or the other on how my full-face helmet air vents are positioned.
Back to top Go down
SturgisMama
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SturgisMama

PostSubject: Could it be my helmet?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 am

I have a Scorpion EXO-400 full-face helmet. I never thought about it being the helmet because like I said on my last bike I had this same helmet & very little noise. But maybe now with a lot more air flowing around, it may make a difference? I'm sure a Shoei would be quieter but I can't afford one right now. I'll definitely put it on my wishlist.

Also, I have the backrest set all the way back & it's very comfortable but I wonder if I moved closer to the windshield if it would help. I'm 5'6".

Your input makes me think it may not be the windshield. Also, I regularly ride on the interstate at 75 mph speed limit AND live in an area that has lots & lots of wind. I'm often dealing with 25-30mph headwinds. That would put any windshield to the test.

All your replies are very helpful! Thanks so much! :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 am

SturgisMama,

I am about 1/2 inch taller than yourself and on my 2004 Silverwing, I had completely removed the backrest and there was little wind noise. On my new Silverwing, I left the backrest in place and my seating position did not affect the noise level.

My speeds on the backroads are in the 55-60 MPH range but on the State Highways and Freeway, my speeds are in the 75-80 MPH range. It does get noisier but still tolerable.

We often have very strong winds here referred to at the Delta Breeze. But on some days, they are really really strong. We have hundreds of Wind Turbines in the hills around town because of the winds in this area. I would suggest that you use ear plugs when you ride, especially if you have lots of wind in your area or you will eventually suffer hearing loss.

And helmets do make a difference - my Shoei Multitec is much quieter than my Nolan, but I still wear ear plugs. I've already suffered some hearing loss thanks to the US Army and my law enforcement background. I want to keep what hearing I do have.

Tony M.
Rio Vista CA
Back to top Go down
SturgisMama
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SturgisMama

PostSubject: Sturgis Mama's solution   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, I've read everybody's helpful replies to my Cee Bailey windshield wind noise. :D
At TeeMon's suggestion, I tried riding with ear plugs & it made a huge difference. DickO said the Givi screen was tall & cut down on noise. I couldn't afford to buy another windshield, but I do have a Laminar Lip from my last motorcycle that will fit. I'm going to put that on & see what happens. I can't try it for a few days because it's snowing here.

Anyway, Thanks, all! band

SturgisMama
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cee Bailey windshield noisy?   Cee Bailey windshield noisy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cee Bailey windshield noisy?
Page 1 of 1