Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders

Go down 
+14
Daboo
Meldrew
aerosilverwing
JeffR_
DennisB
masscoot
tankyuong
DARKSUN
DaveR
ulflyer
PHXScooterBill
The Scootist
bigbird
johnd
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 am

First topic message reminder :

I have a 2008 with Diablo's and 17,000 miles on it with an over size windshield and a drilled out air box and leg deflectors.

Before installing a new belt Dr. Sliders, 26g, Ride On tire balance and a bottle of fuel system cleaner I was getting only 45.5 mpg on a flat road going no more than 65 mph. Now after the changes I am getting a true 55.5 mpg. That is a 10 mpg increase in gas millage.

While checking my mpg I also checked the rpm difference before and after installing the sliders.

At 60 mph I was running 4900 rpms and at 50 mph. 4000 rpm.

With the sliders installed I ran 4500 rms and at 60 mph and 5000 rpm. at 70 mph.

It runs smoother from 40 mph. accelerating all the way the power band than before and I am back up to 105 mph on the flat ground.

I don't care if you think ridding that fast is stupid or not. I ride like I stole the bike, and for what I paid for it, I did. alien beamed up

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

I have always wondered adding 'mods' is such an divisive issue. As Doug said...Horse for courses !!!

Chris,

A real man drinks 7-11 coffee. Razz
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Waspie wrote:
Another thread to dive into, 'if your bike hasn't got' it therefore has to be inferior type of thread.
...Lets (not) get into the you have to have this because I have scenario.
Guys (and ladies)...I have two cup holders. Count them...two. I don't use them both at the same time, but I have options this way depending on the type of trip I'm on.

You'd be surprised at how well they make the bike perform. It handles so well in the twisties with the gimbaled cup holder on the RAM mount lets the cup and the weight of the Starbucks coffee stay level no matter how hard I'm scraping the hard parts. Starbucks is just to fine a brew to waste spilling a drop in the corners.

And then of course when I want to sedately travel on the Interstate with my feet up on the handlebars, I have the other cup holder that fits onto the glove box. The bike doesn't handle as well that way, but with my feet on the handlebars, I'm not trying to corner too sharply.

And JeffR_...7-11 coffee is for those who don't have Starbucks available. Laughing

Chris
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I agree with you Waspie. Now does anyone know where I can get a couple of cup holders??
Back to top Go down
DARKSUN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DARKSUN

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

I got a set from Canadian Tire in the "bike" section... bike as in pedals,.... Stainless with the handle bar clamp for only $3.99.

BEST mod i use ALL the time on my Swing. Everyone who has seen it, bough one for there scoots or bikes. :D

And yes StarBucks is OK... I personally find it too burnt... thats why it taste good with lots of milk, and sugar. I prefer a nice can of Dominican Cofee "Cafe Santo Domingo" from the carribeans or IF i have to, the new McDonald McCafe blend is actually very nice... black with just 2 sugars.

OK lets get back to rollers and sliders hehe Smile
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:08 am

The Scootist wrote:
Paul:
I have the 22 g sliders. The accelleration is very strong. Probably as good as with the J Costa variator. I can still hit 111 on the speedometer, so you decide if that is enough. I average 55 mpg in summer and 50 in winter. Not bad in my estimation.
Scootist, Is your riding mostly highway through rural areas. My riding as stated earlier in the thread is mostly city 35-60 mph at times between stop lights and only 6 miles each way. So if I got 22 or 24 could I still hope to get better than my 40-45 mpg or is it going to get worse?
Back to top Go down
philblumenfeld
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
philblumenfeld

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Installing Sliders?   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 3:17 pm

So Sorry!
:not worthy:

Last edited by philblumenfeld on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Hey Bill:
My riding is a mix of several miles of secondary roads, several miles of stop and go highway, and several miles of wide open twisty backroads through the foothills. I have a few hills to climb and I tend to accellerate quickly. I tried the 28 g sliders and got as high as 59 mpg, but I still wanted a bit more pull in the hills, so I changed to the 22g sliders. They seem to be the best all around solution for me. (decent mpg and good accelleration)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 am

philblumenfeld wrote:
How easy is it to install sliders and do you need special tools?

Two questions two answers, vary easy, yes just one that you can make yourself. Take a look at this video that bigbird made when he put sliders in for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Y2rEJdSw

PS, You will find you get a lot more help on most forums if you introduce yourself before you start asking questions, and the search feature is your friend. To many times someone will ask a question that has been asked many times before, then when they get an answer you never hear from them again. I will give you a thumbs up for posting wear you live, a lot of people leave that out and it can help in how some questions get answered.
Oh and welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot about the SilverWing hear.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, as you can see from the above communication, I installed the 26g Dr Pully Sliders in November. The Swing had a little over 16000 miles on it. Also installed a new Honda belt at the same time. Last week, went to Guernsey, Wy. and the V light came on. Reset it a couple of times and came back on. So ordered a new belt, and put in 24g sliders. Reset the V light and rode about 20 miles. It did stay off! This belt did not last as long as the last one. Maybe I rode more aggressive. How does the bike sense when to change belts? I can't find a sensor!
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 am

I believe it is when the rpm's are considered to be higher than they should be compared to the speed. And also every 16,000 miles to tell you it is time to change the belt. I have had mine go on a few times, with the J. costa and the 22gr sliders, and it was because the rpm's were higher than normal. Usually when I was climbing steep hills though.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

That is a very good pictoral review on how to install the Dr Pully's. I did not realize there is a mark to line up the plate and housing. What happens if they are not lined up? There isn't anything in the book regarding this that I can find.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MPG before and after Dr. Sliders   MPG before and after Dr. Sliders - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MPG before and after Dr. Sliders
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2