Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
aidanpryde18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) Empty
PostSubject: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 am

I woke up this morning and went down to warm the bike up before going to work. I do it every morning once it gets cold. It was about 38 when I woke up.

I start the bike and it starts up fine but it was making an awful noise, emanating from the variator compartment.

Kind of a squeaky belt plus something else. I blipped the throttle to see if it would go away but it didn't.

Over time as the rest of the bike warmed up the noise lessened until it was an on/off kind of thing. By the time I got to the interstate, about a mile away, the noise was gone.

I figure it was just cold metal and maybe the belt slipping against it a bit, but I want to make sure it isn't something more than that.

The belt is relatively new, maybe 2000 miles on it.

Should I check it out, lube any points, put 5w in the final drive instead of the 10 that is in there?

This is my first winter with the Swing so I want to make sure that I am doing it right.

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 11:04 am

For me it sounds, (no pun,) normal for a cold start in my view. I too start the Wing early in the colder months, if the noise is overly discernible I ride off so as to not irritate the neighbours. That tends to get rid of noisy engine/transmission noises pretty swiftly.

I suppose there are many factors, oil viscosity - (the oil will take longer to disperse around the engine,) belt condition to name two.

Bit difficult to give you a fair reply not being able to listen to it. My loud may not be loud to you!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:45 pm

If it's happening when the bike isn't moving it wouldn't be the final drive. It might be one of the clutch assembly bearings spinning against the final drive input shaft.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aidanpryde18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes, it is 10w-30. I just got lazy and shortened it in the description.

I cleaned everything really well when I changed the belt and sliders. That was only 1500 miles or so ago.

As for the possibility of a bearing issue, would that go away once the bike warmed up?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

So what made the noise?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)   Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange Noise from Transmission (Not Clutch Squeal)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: