Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

To Slime or not to Slime

Go down 
+12
tubeck
john123
MikeO
Tamjay
Daboo
Waspie
matthew
Darkeswinger
honda_silver
Lab Rat
pancho
johnd
16 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

To Slime or not to Slime Empty
PostSubject: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 am

Ever since installing my Diablo's I have to add apx. 2 to 3 lbs of air every 3 weeks. and every one who owns a Swing knows that there are easier things to do that bend over and fill the year tire.

I read about a product sold by the blokes on the other side of the pond and contacted two of the sales people. Both said the product was not available in the US, but they were working on exporting in the future.

When I used to ride road bicycles I was told to never Slim your tires.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 11:52 am

I have used it,and did not have good luck with it. A small nail and it still went flat!!!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I had picked up a piece of metal, like a large staple or something, and had a slow leak. The tire wasn't doing me any good the way it was, so I figured what the heck. I injected some slime into the rear tire per the instructions, and it sealed the hole and holds air just fine now. That was at least 2k miles ago. Mind you, it was a very tiny puncture, but it did work for me. Now, we'll see what happens when it's time for a new tire. Have I ruined my rim, or my valve stem? Will a shop even mess with it now? I'll eventually find out, I suppose. Smile

I seem to recall seeing this topic before in here, unless I'm thinking back to when I did some internet searches for it before trying it. It might be worth a look...
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 8:55 pm

I have Flat Attack in both tires. I replaced the original hoop with a Diablo, and had the same the 2-3 lbs/week air loss. I added the Flat Attack, and the problem is fixed. the mechanic said that he saw no problems anywhere from the Flat Attack.

http://www.flatattack.com/
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm

I use another option called Ride-On. I have it in both tires, and I've had both tires changed out at a motorcycle shop. They never complained about it, or said they couldn't change the tires, or mentioned any damage done by the compound. So far it's working fine, and that's many thousands of miles.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 am

In the UK the puncture preventative I use is "PunctureSafe". I swear by it. Tried 'Slime' not impressed - really not inpressed!

As for the OP losing 2-3 lbs regularly - I haven't topped my tyres up since fitting!!! I check weekly and no loss of pressure detected at all. (Both tyres have 'PunctureSafe' in them.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 am

Fantastic!

Again THE forum comes through like a champ. Thanks to all for information and I have decided to order the http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Ride-On is an excellent product. I've never used it, but only because it was harder to find than Slime.

I used it the first time only weeks after paying $130 to replace the OEM Hoop, and getting a small cotter pin hole in the new tire. I couldn't face telling my wife that I was going to spend more money on the bike, since she didn't want me riding it anyway. Long story short, it sealed the leak.

I later got two other punctures in that tire before changing it after 14,500 miles. One was a good sized nail. The puncture was at the 3 o'clock position and gushing air out, so I turned it 90 degrees to put it at the 6 o'clock position. About a tablespoon or two of green liquid came out...and the air quit leaking. I left it like that and filled it up with air. I rode it a couple thousand miles before changing the tire. No leaks at all.

The ironic thing, is that with this new Burgman 400...I got a small leak in the rear tire...at about the same number of miles. Laughing I put some Slime in it, just in case.

If you change the tire in a short time after putting Slime in, some of it will run out of the tire when changed. It is water soluble, so cleans up easily. If you leave it in for a long time like I have, it skins up and the only "mess" is from any that dripped onto the rim.

Since motorcycle dealerships sell Slime, I can't imagine why they would refuse to fix a tire that was repaired with a product they sold.

Chris
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:44 am

Why does it seem that it is always the rear tire that gets flat, if that is the tire that follows?
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 am

I normally have 'Ultraseal' or 'Slime' put in the tyres when I buy a new bike, as a matter of course.

But for some reason, I didn't do that when I bought the Swing. After my rear tyre blow-out when I was travelling on the M25 (the motorway that circles London), I certainly wish I had !! It would have saved me from having an accident on a very busy highway.

It was the first thing that I asked the repair shop to do when they put my bike back together again!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 am

Why does it seem that it is always the rear tire that gets flat, if that is the tire that follows?

In some quarters the theory is that the front wheel runs over the nail (or whatever) and flips it up just in time for the rear wheel to run over it.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 am

I think I am going to design a large magnet that hangs in front of the front wheel and picks up any piece of steel that just happens t be laying around waiting to enter my tire. I going to need some investors. Any one have some extra money laying around? I know we can make a million dollars or pounds.

And I am glad you are OK Tamjay after your spill
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm

I finally had Slime not work. I was on the freeway doing about 60 mph when the bike felt squirrely. I made it across 4 lanes of fast moving traffic and found a nail hole in the rear tire. It looked like a roofing nail had gone in and back out. All the Slime had shot out.

I used a mushroom plug to fix the flat and limped home where I put some Slime back in again. Normally, a nail goes in and stays in. When that happens, you can rotate the tire like I did before and give the Slime (or Ride-On) a chance to work. But when you're going that fast, the air goes out too quickly and the centrifugal force just throws the stuff out.

Chris
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 pm

I ran out of time before my ride up to Monetary, week before last, which turned out to be a 800 mile ride and did not order the ride-on.
But my Honda dealer did install the product in both tires to the tune of $52.00 and I must say that the ride was smoother and more secure on the road some how. On the receipt, they called it a balancer and not some puncture, proofing product.
Whatever. I like it and it has stopped my small air leak I was having in both tires.
I also complained about getting 45mpg. at 65mph
I installed a fuel system cleaner( my scooter had 15000 miles it) changed to Dr. pullies 26g and replaced the belt, and on my trip while ridding at 70 and 80 mph did another check.
It jumped up to 50mpg even at higher speeds. I wrote down the different speeds and rps before making the changes and this weekend will again ride at the slow 65 for about 65miles and again note the rpm and gas millage.
Also before the changes I was only able to crank out 100mph. now 105mph is easily attained. I know I'm nuts for even trying but the bike just asked to be pushed once and a while to show what it is capable of doing. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 pm

when "slimming" the key is after you put it in to SLOWLY turn the tire for about a minute add a little extra air for initial loss and spin slowly again. Wait a couple of minutes for it to settle before riding. works that way on lawnmowers too.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Thank you but after reading and hearing what people are saying about slime, I am throwing my unused new bottle out. I am very pleased with the way Ride-On works. If I had a lawn mower I would give it a try but not on the love of my life.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 pm

john123 wrote:
Thank you but after reading and hearing what people are saying about slime, I am throwing my unused new bottle out.

A good move I believe.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I wish I was closer. I'd take it from you.

Even though Slime didn't fix the last hole I got, I trust it more than my ability to plug a tire. It's fixed about 4 punctures that I can think of off-hand.

Although Ride-On and Slime are two different products, I believe they work in the same way.

Chris
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:30 pm

I am using Ride-On in both tires on my NT. Bought it @$15 a bottle. Easy to put in with tire deflated, off bike and patience.

Since I do own tire work the mess that may be there on the next change is my problem.

Purpose for Ride-On for me: It balances tires and wheels. Following their instructions it works. As far as sealing small leaks/punctures should work. But common sense....if small punture...might make go home seal. But tire really needs to be dismounted, inspected and repaired from inside----most bike shops won't do tire repairs------tire shops will in my experience. If there is damage to tire, throw away and mount new.

I cannot recall using Slime on fresh tire mounting.

No Sealant will work with large damage to tire-----get home, repair tire from inside with "boot", install tube----remember bike shops usually don't have the tire you need/want in stock. Gee, but if you don't or cannot do own repair, you are in a bind.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:38 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:33 am

Personally, I use and carry Slime with me along with a repair kit and a hand pump. If I have an unplanned flat, I have what I need for most things. I also have replaced my air valve caps with indicator caps that show me when my tire pressure drops below 32psi. It saves me from having to manually check the pressure as often. I can take quick look and know if I need to recharge the air compressor. The trick is to use an alcohol wipe to make sure the stem is clean before putting it back on. Just in case, I also carry a spare pair of indicator caps.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 am

I always carry hand pump. Not- in to electric stuff....for when chips are down. Tip: make sure your pump/connection actually fits on valve stem when you are home.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am

kbcmdba wrote:
I also have replaced my air valve caps with indicator caps that show me when my tire pressure drops below 32psi. It saves me from having to manually check the pressure as often. I can take quick look and know if I need to recharge the air compressor. The trick is to use an alcohol wipe to make sure the stem is clean before putting it back on. Just in case, I also carry a spare pair of indicator caps.

I had a set of indicator caps fitted to my 400 Burgman for a few weeks, then a couple of days after using Muck Off and then a brush and hose to remove brake dust from the rear wheel, I went out to the Burgman and found the rear wheel completely flat. The indicator cap had came apart and was in bits on the garage floor. Whether this had anything to do with Muck Off affecting the plastic components I'll never know, but it could have been potentially fatal for me if it happened on the move. So I changed back to conventional valve caps, still use Muck Off and have never had any more trouble.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:21 am

bigbird wrote:
External tire plug kits work well to get you home too, as long as you have either a 12V inflator or cartridges.

Where do you draw the line with the equipment you carry in the event of ????? failing.

I simply carry a rescue card and a mobile phone.

The bike breaks down I phone my auto recovery company and they get me home. Leaving the storage bays free to carry my effects.

No worrying about this breaking - that breaking. Just enjoying biking for what it is.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Waspie wrote:
...Where do you draw the line with the equipment you carry in the event of ????? failing.

I simply carry a rescue card and a mobile phone.

The bike breaks down I phone my auto recovery company and they get me home. Leaving the storage bays free to carry my effects...
I think it depends on where you're riding, and for what reasons. If I was retired, it wouldn't make a lot of difference for me...as long as I was riding in town. Tow trucks are available and cell phone coverage is excellent. If my plans were put on hold or had to be rescheduled for another day, it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

On the other hand, if you're commuting to work and have a set time to show up, it can be a problem to show up 3 hours late. Also, where I live, cell phone reception can be spotty once you leave the city and ride to the mountains. Being stopped on the side of a lonely road for hours is not something I look forward to.

The two biggest things I figure I can take care of on the road are a dead battery or a flat tire. And the small set of jumper cables I have and tire repair kit are not that large to carry around.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Slime or not to Slime   To Slime or not to Slime I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Slime or not to Slime
Page 1 of 1