Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Grips for Honda Silverwing

Go down 
+6
MikeO
cjuzda
john grinsel
wayneliz
dspevack
carlosw
10 posters
AuthorMessage
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Grips for Honda Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:40 pm

I wanted to find out if anyone has changed the grips of the handlebar of the Silverwing. I did search the site but found only a couple of mention of some Kuryakyn grips and some other hand made ones. My bike came with some soft grips, they look like foam ones that I don't like. I would like to use some Progrips, rubber or gel maybe, but I would like something that will work well. Since I am in the USA I would like experience with grips that one can purchase here.

Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Carlos,
As long as you are changing out the grips, would you like heated grips?
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Thank you and no, I am really looking at just replacing the current foamy/spongy current grips with some other ones. I realized looking at some photos that they are not the original ones. I was looking at some progrips since I had some on my last bike (Kawasaki Tengai) and they worked really well.

Since I live in LA I have mild temperature most of the year so don't really need heated grips, at least not now.

I guess the sizes are the usual 7/8"?
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 12:52 am

Carlos- I have the Kuryaken grips and like them a lot. They are comfortable and provide good isolation.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 1:09 am

Thank you for the data. Could you tell me the model or maybe post a pic so I can see which ones you are talking about?

I am open to any suggestion, even though I really liked that progrips model.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 am

get some stock grips---they work fine---bars are 7/8"----I had some sticker super bike grips that worked ok.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Thank you and I am looking for some of these or similar ones.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Highly recommend the Kuryakyn ISO grips. They are the Kuryakyn universal ISO's . Can't remember the size but if you search this forum, they are mentioned several times. Pricey but worth it IMHO.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Thank you. Are these the ones made with chrome and rubber inserts?

It would be great to have some photos and maybe some impressions, reviews or similar.

Last edited by carlosw on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:35 am

The advantage for me of the Grip Puppies is that they slip over the heated grips, a gadget I'd not be without.....and they are cheap. Smile
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. Aren't the grip puppies something you install on top of the original grips? If so I can't do it because i have aftermarket grips on it and I believe that these are a little thicker and also being the foamy compound I think they are not as durable...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I installed Grip Puppies after reading rider recommendations on a couple of forums. They're cheap, easy to install, but they painfully cramped the fore finger and thumb on my right hand after a hour or so, added nothing to the riding experience, and reduced the warmth getting through to my hands from the heated grips. Removing the Grip Puppies eliminated the cramped fingers straight away, and in hindsight I didn't have a problem with the stock grips.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I guess it depends from each ones hands, shape, size, thickness, etc. I personally prefer thinner grips, but also I prefer them firmer. The foam stuff gives me a vague feeling somehow.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:27 pm

x.

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:35 pm

One of the good things about Grip Puppies, as has been said several times, is that they are cheap so their less-durability doesn't matter so much as they can be replaced almost as a disposable item.

Indeed, they won't suit everyone but I found they dampened an irritating vibration I could feel through the bars.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 pm

These ar the ones I got. They are black which I like better than the chrome - The rubber (silicone) part is not just on the outside of the grip. It forms the inside as well which does an excellent job of absorbing vibration:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4022/Gloss-Black-ISO-Grips

Really comfortable for me anyway. They are quite a bit thicker than the stock grips soo if you have really small hands, they might be a problem but if hand size is relatively normal, no sweat.

You can google for revviews - there are some user reviews on Amazon.com

[quote="carlosw"]Thank you. Are these the ones made with chrome and rubber inserts?

It would be grate to have some photos and maybe some impressions, reviews or similar. [/quote
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Thank you very much, these Kuryakin look very interesting. Also I looked over the grip puppies that were mentioned, I guess they are made of foam? Maybe that's what I already have on my Silverwing... I will check it out later today, I did not have a chance to ride it much yet but will tonight.

When I ride I try to enjoy riding rather then looking over the bits and pieces of the bike...

Coming from a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 the Silverwing feels a lot lighter and a lot more manageable but also more jumpy... I like it a lot for sure, but I kind of miss the sure grip of the Shadow handle bar and grips. Not going back though, at least not yet... Smile
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Well, I went out with the Silverwing last night and checked out the grips currently installed. They seem to be the grip puppies or a similar product because they sit right on top of some other grips...

They appear worn out a bit though, and they are a little slippery even when I use my brand new deerskin gloves. I guess this is one of the reasons I wanted to replace these foam type grips.

On the other hand, I was able to spend a little time zipping around town, up to the observatory and down the other side... I had so much fun. Riding these is a blast. I love the automatic transmission or I guess I should say the CVT. I find it not only more comfortable but also really good on curves etc. when i don't have to shift before or after or bother with wondering which gear I should use. The bike does it all by herself.

Also I find the brakes really good and powerful. I kind of like the liked brakes I guess.

I don't seem to have any problems with the tires, they seem to be the Bridgestone ones. but they seem to be perfectly fine for the bike, unless I want to go racing...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 pm

bigbird wrote:
I don't know how I could ever go back to stock grips after using Grip Puppies for 2 years.

To me that's just a daft statement, pull them off and ride, you're hardly going to suffer from Vibration White Finger are you, they're only glorified bits of pipe insulation. A good pair of gloves provides more cushioning.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:33 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I caught on pretty quickly that Grip Puppies were a complete waste of time, and binned them. As for thinking 'outside my small Meldrew daft box' I do, and that includes not adding non essential junk to my Silver Wing, unlike you my 'Silver Wing Guru' friend.

I'd take your comments a lot more seriously if you ever posted something about travelling or touring in Canada, instead of the weight of the Dr. Pulley sliders you were using this week, or the noise your latest toy makes. Apart from that, Have A Nice Day.

Meldrew
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Look guys I think we will have to put our personal choice down to just that.

What suits one is not necessarily suitable for another. We all have our preferences and they are all valid and it is up to an individual to make that final choice whether to buy one mod or another. I love you
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:59 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I realise that my latest retort to the gentleman in Winnipeg has been binned, that's OK. Nobody's really bothered about the Queens toilet habit either, but the reference to Kraft Dinner is something else.

You've got to be a complete idiot if you can't knock up even a basic macaroni cheese, or mac n' cheese. It's cooked elbow macaroni covered in a cheese sauce, spooned into an ovenproof dish with plenty of grated cheddar on top, and baked in a hot oven until bubbly and golden... lovely!

Yet, there's a country where they can't seem to manage that and seem to prefer a far simpler version, opening a cardboard box, and mixing together the bright orange contents of a few packets. It's a national staple, they sell boxes by the million, and it's called Kraft Dinner!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:12 pm

To the original poster - I got my bike used with the Kuryaken ISO grips. I really like the tactile feel of the rubber (not sticky, buy never slippery) and the large diameter. They also dampen vibration well.

I dislike the chrome. Looking at the Gloss Black Kuryaken ISO grips (in the link above in cjuzda's post), I would get them if I did not get heated grips.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 11:20 am

Thank you very much and I can see that these might be a good option. I generally prefer rounder grips without bumps but grippy and solid. I also have big hands so I was thinking to some grips that I had on my earlier bike, some progrip ones that were really good, comfortable, grippy and good looking.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

buddy19520 wrote:
To the original poster - I got my bike used with the Kuryaken ISO grips. I really like the tactile feel of the rubber (not sticky, buy never slippery) and the large diameter. They also dampen vibration well.

I dislike the chrome. Looking at the Gloss Black Kuryaken ISO grips (in the link above in cjuzda's post), I would get them if I did not get heated grips.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grips for Honda Silverwing   Grips for Honda Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grips for Honda Silverwing
Page 1 of 1