Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking Empty
PostSubject: Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking   Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am

Not so much a tip, but rather a warning about clicky front brakes and not to worry if this happens to you....

Recently I became more aware that upon heavy braking, I'd sometimes hear and feel a slight click from the front of the scoot... I wasn't quite sure what it was, but it felt like the front brakes were not sticking, but engaging, or releasing with a small audible "click" that you could also feel through the handlbars. The click was only apparent when riding, and I couldn't get it to happen whilst stationary stood up holding on the handlebars, and pushing the scoot against its springs, and braking. However I'd not noticed any deterioration in braking, they seemed as good as they always have been. I checked the brakes, and found that I could move the whole caliper assembly a little on the front wheel with my hand, (bolts are all tight!) whereas the calipers on my yamaha bike are solid. A little concerned I spoke to my mechanic, who had a look. He told me not to worry, that this was a common occurance on this type of caliper, where the pads are on sliders, allowing them a little movement when the brakes are applied. Sometimes the movement can manifest itself as a click upon braking, but that this is not a problem as such, just something that can happen to older and well used calipers.... He then added that I probably brake a lot using the front brake... Which on reflection I do.... Up till now I have always tended to brake with more pressure on the right hand and thus front wheel only, a little less on the left hand combined brake.... Now I use the left hand more, and as a result I don't get a click, as the scoot brakes more evenly. If however I use the front brake more, then I get a click...

So I thought I'd post this just in case it happens to anyone else and they get a bit worried.... Don't worry! Also Perhaps it's better to brake more with the combined system than too much on the front whcih I think I have been guility of.

Note also that my scoot is an 03, and although it is low mileage around 30k I think, prior to my buying it, it was used extensivley as a commuter in London, so will have seen a lot of brake use!!

So aside from the odd click, the brakes are fine!
Back to top Go down
Babylonbouy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking   Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks for the tip, had this happen to me on the weekend for the first time and just after after having the bike serviced thought there may be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking   Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 am

Strangely enough this started to happen on mine last week. I apply the front brake and there is and audible click or knock and as you say it can be felt throught the bars, My bike has done around 9500 miles and is 2 years old.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking   Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 5:35 am

Used to occur on the Burgman, as my wing is still new I'm not expecting anything just yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking   Front Brakes,  Tendency to "click" under braking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Brakes, Tendency to "click" under braking
Page 1 of 1