Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop

Go down 
+2
robert
Daboo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop Empty
PostSubject: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am

The past two "trips" I've taken have been a combination of a wonderful ride, and a glorious destination. It seems like the best of both worlds to enjoy not only the roads, but what's at the end of the road. So with that in mind, here's the latest trip. One that left me both exhilarated and exhausted. Smile

Destination Highways says this about Hwy 20, the North Cascades Highway. It is their number 1 rated road in Washington State.
Quote :
It’s said there are only three kinds of motorcyclists: those who’ve been down... those who are going down... and those who are going down again. Here in Washington, there are actually three more: those who haven’t been down DH1, those who plan on going down DH1, and those for whom the top ranking of this spectacular ride comes as no surprise.
I thought about that comment as I debated on where to go on Saturday. It looked like perhaps the last opportunity to go somewhere, and I didn't want to let it go to waste. Places in the North Cascades National Park have been compared with the best the Swiss Alps has to offer...and come out on top. So I decided to combine the trip with perhaps a short hike before heading back. Little did I know...

I left just a little after dawn. I had in mind endless streams of traffic heading out of town for the Labor Day weekend, and I didn't want to get stuck in the traffic. At Lake Stevens, I picked up Hwy 9 and headed north. There was still a fog in the low areas, making some beautiful soft scenes, but the places where those picturesque sights were also on main roads with place to pull over safely. As I rode, straight roads gave way to gentle sweepers and country side. I picked up Hwy 530 and rode through Arlington Heights. I should've taken a picture because it would help my "Rounderdom" creds, because I saw a sign at a church there that read 40F! I should've checked the temp on the bike, but my glove liners inside my summer weight gloves and the sweatshirt I had decided to wear were telling me the temperature might've been pretty close.

From then on, the road just opens up. Sweepers, gentle turns, hard 90 degree corners in the middle of tiny little towns to get you to slow down longer than the blink of an eye. Towns with a much slower, and enviable, pace of life than the Seattle area has. Cows and horses grazing in the fields. And mountains rising up alongside.

North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020808

While that picture looks good with the mountains in the distance, I took this picture from across the road.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020810

At Rockport, I joined up with Hwy 20, the North Cascades Highway. This road is a delight, with mountains rising up even higher, and one corner after another.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop IMG_0082a_001
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop IMG_0090a

Diablo and Ross lakes are part of the Skagit River Hydroelectric Project. The road crosses over Diablo Lake at this point.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop IMG_0045a

Just afterwards, the road climbs about 700 feet to this lookout.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop IMG_0059a

There are times you see the signs warning you of rocks on the road. There was no sign, but this was a wake-up call!
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020812

The rocks you see on the road are about 50 feet in front of me. Most are about the size of half a loaf of bread. The one off the right mirror...that's about 3 feet across and 2 feet tall! Now where did that come from???
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020816
...maybe up there somewhere?

After 3 hours of riding, I reached the trail head parking lot for Maple Pass Loop. It is 7.5 miles long with over 2000 feet of elevation gain. As I started up the trail, I came across these two signs. Hmmm...
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020886
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020887

The hike up goes through several life zones, starting in old growth timber, then breaking out into alpine meadows and then mountain ridge lines. Here is the first glimpse of the beginning of the alpine meadows.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020823

Shortly after, I got my first glimpse of Lake Ann (...where the bears were). I stopped to get some water and a snack, and put on the bug juice and sun screen while just trying to soak it all in.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020825

I didn't know it at the time, but the trail leads up along the upper ridge and up that small peak in the upper left.
I stopped here for a short break and to take in the views.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020834

If you look closely, you can see a teal green lake in the middle.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020835

At one of the many stops I was making along the way, I looked down to Lake Ann and this view.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020837

Almost up to the top of the ridge line, Lake Ann is down to the left.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020839

There are a couple pictures of Early Winters Spires. Here is one at the park boundary.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020840

It is a little hard to get the perspective. There's a lot of distance between me and the spires ahead. You can get a little feel of it by looking at the size of the trees. In the foreground, they are small. In the slopes below the mountain...they are almost just tiny bits of dark green.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020841

I stopped to eat lunch on the rock in the foreground.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020848

It is hard to get a feel in 2D for what you see in 3D. You're on top of the world it seems.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020850

The zoom gives a little feel for the massiveness of what is out here. The first is Glacier Peak. I'm not sure what the second is.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020854
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020853

Down below, is my first view of Rainy Lake. The trail stops somewhere down there, easily a thousand feet below.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020857

The views were just so outstanding, it was hard to keep from taking pictures. It is too good, not to share.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020859

Here is Lake Ann off on the left as I headed down.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020862

Rainy Lake, a little closer now.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020866

As I got a little farther down this trail, I looked to the left and saw Lake Ann way down below. I looked to the right and saw Rainy Lake. And it was a straight drop down. If you slipped here, there was nothing to do but bring in a body bag. I didn't take pictures to try capturing "the moment". Laughing

There is a reason for this picture that isn't readily apparent. Do you see the hikers up on the ridgeline at the other park boundary sign?
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020871

Here's a little closer look with the zoom...
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020873

When I finally got all the way down, I couldn't resist walking another mile to the separate trail to Rainy Lake. That tiny spec in the distance was a lot bigger down below.
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020881

Back at the parking lot. Deborah, my 2008 Burgman 400, never looked so good to tired feet!
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop P1020888

The ride home was uneventful, except for the sun in my eyes for much of the trip. I didn't make any stops going home. A range of 200+ miles is nice to have on trips like this.

There are larger pictures and some others not included at http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Daboo/MaplePass/

Chris
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for the great photos of the beautiful N.W. Lived in Puyallup, Wa. for 11 yr's. I miss the great outdoors and the weather. Ride Safe...Robert in Az.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:55 am

Beautiful! Last time I was on that highway coming from Winthrop, in 2007, at a rest stop a Wash. state trooper pulled up and asked if I wanted to trade rides for the day. I said only if he teaches me how to work the lights and siren. He laughed and drove off.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 12:35 pm

What's going on in the last photo, is that your back protector, or a turtle humping your Burgman! Smile
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 pm

It's a near sighted turtle, crawling up his S/Wing trying to reach his top case to mate.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 2:11 pm

That is just BEAUTIFUL........ :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Anytime I feel low and blue, I look for posts by Mr. Daboo. Thanks Chris. That's quite a hike.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you for those kind words.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop   North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

North Cascades Highway - Maple Pass Loop
Page 1 of 1