Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda Leg Extensions too expensive

Go down 
+13
MikeO
Chilliwing
pancho
Meldrew
wingnprayer
craigory
john grinsel
tarmacburner2
Somerled
Rasherman
dspevack
Daboo
WingBabe
17 posters
AuthorMessage
WingBabe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WingBabe

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Honda Leg Extensions too expensive Empty
PostSubject: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I looked at all the threads about leg deflectors & contacted David Silver Spares. They gave me a quote 195 GBP, when converted to USD totalled $314!! Have mercy. The price did include shipping, but still. Does anyone know of a cheaper source for leg deflectors?

I've used Baker Built Air Wings on motorcycles in the past but I found the mounting kind of rinky dink. Had to order extra hardware, & twice the plastic broke during normal riding on the highway. I will only buy the Air Wings after I've exhausted all other options.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:23 am

A number of Burgman owners have used the window deflectors like those sold by JC Whitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/truck/bug-deflectors-and-window-visors/c1553j2s18.jcwx

Chris
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 am

Hmmm maybe its the economy difference, but that really sounds much more expensive then I recall them being when I purchased them.

Try this link:

Chiswick Honda

Send them an email and get a price from them directly.

It will still be higher than locally sourced alternatives, but maybe not as much as the quote you got.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Rasherman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:22 am

Currently available from Honda in the UK at £105 a set.
Bob
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 am

That's more like it.

Bob,
How does VAT work. Do you need to add that on top if it gets shipped to the USA, or is their no VAT if it goes directly from the dealer?

Dan
Back to top Go down
Rasherman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am

Dan,
I've just spoken to Honda Chiswick. The price of GBP 105 includes UK VAT at the current rate of 20%

They will ship to the US before adding any VAT at a price of GBP 88 + Carriage. I guess there may be some US Duty charges but I'm not aware of the detail. Honda Chiswick would require prepayment before shipping.
Bob
Back to top Go down
WingBabe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WingBabe

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:26 am

OK! I'll give them a try. Thanks so much!

dspevack wrote:
Hmmm maybe its the economy difference, but that really sounds much more expensive then I recall them being when I purchased them.

Try this link:

chiswickhonda.com/showroom/contact/

Send them an email and get a price from them directly.

It will still be higher than locally sourced alternatives, but maybe not as much as the quote you got.

Dan
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Bob,
Thanks for doing that research.
This board works because people like you pitch in and help out.

My previous dealings with chiswick for the same part required bank transfer, since they would not accept overseas credit card. But they are a pleasure to deal with.

88 GBP= about $144, which with the adjusted exchange rate from back when I bought them, sounds about right. My guess is about $170 USD including postage and the cost of a bank transfer. Still a not an insignificant amount but only 54% of the $314 she was quoted.

Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Sounds to me like DSS got greedy. I paid 135 GBP including shipping to buy a pair back in June. Economy maybe, but I think more likely is that they were getting enough US orders that they thought themselves the only game in town. Nice to hear Chiswick is out there to disabuse them of that notion.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 am

Check if Chiswick use Paypal.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
WingBabe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WingBabe

PostSubject: Thanks everybody!   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I took the advice found here to contact Chiswick Honda. I'm now going ahead to buy the leg deflectors from them. They charge 125 gbp (INCLUDES shipping to the US), which works out to $206 usd. That's over $100 less than David Silver Spares.

They only take bank transfers for international orders, but that's a minor inconvenience.

You guys are great. Thanks for your help!! bounce

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I fitted mine using an extra screw on each side. The screw was / is located at the 'V' (forewardmost part of the deflector). Probably not needed but less strain on the double sided sticky tape.

They make a lot of difference, stops the draught getting you in the most uncomfortable places!. I just don't understand why Honda do not fit these as standard, or flare out the body panel to create the necessary deflection.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm glad you were able to procure them in a way that fits your budget.

Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 7:39 am

Baker Wings work ok on SilverWing----you have to overcome their mount method. I used fender washers and I think 6mm bolts. Bolt head from inside, nut on outside. Double nut, bolt trimmed to size.

Can be done without plastic removal, just tight quarters work.

My purpose for deflectors=stop pants flapping.

Solved problem----I have used OEM deflectors on several other scooters--Helix/Burgman400 and TMAX as I recall----didn't too much other than make feet harder to get out----one set at least came with stick on mounting----ended using small sheet metal ascrews to keep them on.

Baker about $85
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:05 am

Hi WingBabe. How did you contact Chiswick? Did you actually call them in the UK? Do they do things by email? The only contact method I could find on their website was to request a callback, which I'm sure they won't do to the US. Also, how did you get the price quote? That price sounds great. Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 am

I posted this in a similar thread a few weeks ago. I still suspect you can get some budget deflectors from this chap. If not ask him to send you his template.... if he will... since they should be very easy to make and on my bike they look ok and do the job.

My former post read:

A couple of years ago (check around July 09 in his feedback) this chap on eBay was making leg deflectors out of some plastic material you can buy in any DIY store I imagine: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=reflexscooter&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200

He was only charging US$20 at the time. Must admit when it first turned up I thought I'd been conned.... but when I followed his instructions and put it on the bike I had to admit it did the job well and looked ok.

To see what it looks like on my SW have a look at these photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/noddydog1/Silverwing#

Maybe if someone contacted him he might part with the info necessary to make your own since he doesn't seem to be making them any more.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:23 am

I think the leg deflectors are great and I had them fitted to my Silver Wing when I took delivery. If you think they're too expensive don't get hung up buying from Chiswick Honda, look around at other UK dealers websites, or dealers in the Eurozone. If Dr Pulley or J. Costa made wind deflectors I don't think anyone would be complaining about the expense, they'd just buy 'em.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:09 am

http://silverwing.xrea.jp/03_custum_02_gaisou/002_sideviser/05_yukimi/untitled.htm

Try this!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 am

I had the $20 ones-----worked great---also had Baker Wings @$85.

No pant flapping or cold feet.

Baker requires not using their bolt system---drill the same holes, bolts from inside and fender washers--6 mm works fine, bolts trimmed and chrome acorn nuts over regular nuts for looks.

Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Wind deflectors   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 10:57 am

Seems to be a fair amount of interest. The ebay $20.00 pair look ok from your pictures. Perhaps this is something Dennis might investigate and add to his parts supply? I would certainly be interested in a pair. Hope the suggestion is ok Dennis. I am a new member and have followed your work through this site and I am very impressed with your work and advice.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:51 pm

You guys are coming up with lot's of great suggestions. Some of the DIY options look pretty good. I'm still thinking all of this through until the money is in the budget (probably within a month). Meldrew, I'm in the US so it's hard for me to even know where to start in finding a UK/Euro web vendor who would sell the deflectors to me and ship them to the US. Do you have an specific suggestions? Thanks everybody!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:40 pm

I used to have a German multi-franchise dealers website who mailed stuff world-wide, and loads of other maxi scooter stuff bookmarked on my iMac, then the hard drive packed in and I lost everything. I'll have a sniff around and If I can dig up something I'll post it on here.

The Honda deflectors are much better than the genuine Suzuki items I fitted to my 650 Burgman which also cover the feet. I remember posting on the Muppets website that the first time I stopped after fitting them, I caught my boots on the sides of the deflectors and for a terrible second I thought the Burger was going over. In fright I'm certain my asshole took a bite out of the seat cover, Shocked and I removed the deflectors the next day.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Those of us in Europe have to buy much of our stuff from the States as it isn't available here.
Google is the chief tool for me - I Search for whatever I want or follow the links State-side members post, and either use the vendor's site procedure for purchasing on line or contact the vendor, usually by phone, and do the deed that way.
Honestly, it's not difficult and often not as expensive as one thinks it will be.
I wanted a pair of deer-skin riding gloves from the US. I baulked at the stated shipping-costs and phoned the company to see if the quoted charges were for real.
The extremely helpful chap told me that the site couldn't cope with every individual item costs because there were so many variables and charged me only the actual postage - he asked me to send an e-mail with his quote and adjusted my on line order.

I have found all the companies I've contacted, both here and there, always willing to help me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I think a way of getting the Honda leg wind deflectors to the US would be finding a ''gear buddy''. A UK member could buy and send a pair to someone in the US in exchange for gear of the same value that you can't get in the UK, e.g. Marsee, Chase Harper, etc.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm

craigory wrote:
You guys are coming up with lot's of great suggestions. Some of the DIY options look pretty good. I'm still thinking all of this through until the money is in the budget (probably within a month). Meldrew, I'm in the US so it's hard for me to even know where to start in finding a UK/Euro web vendor who would sell the deflectors to me and ship them to the US. Do you have an specific suggestions? Thanks everybody!

Here's one place:

http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/products/scuff-pads-fairing-deflectors-387/silverwing-600-leg-deflector-set-14531.aspx
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:14 pm

It looks like you could use the black plastic you find in garden store for edging your grass. The question is how to attach it without damaging the existing tupperware.

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes, I too am waiting to hear from those who have added such items as to where they're attached to the body.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks Somerled. I already found that one and, unfortunately, they have the same price as everybody else. 105 GBP seems to be the pricepoint that the UK dealers all have. Hmmm, I wonder if they're talking to eachother.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 7:19 pm

NP Craig.

You may be right about your suspicion. I noticed the price went up for them at David Silver Spares where I bought mine. Now they aren't even coming up in their parts list.

I'm glad I bought mine when I did. They seem to be even harder to find now. I can see the difference in having them and I agree with others that they also look the best. However, it is function that's most important of course. Form is what pleases you and so taking your time in your search seems prudent. In the past couple months I've noticed people who've bought their Swing recently decided to remove theirs. You might try starting a WTB thread for them in the for sale section here.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:33 am

What's the problem with paying £105 plus postage from the UK if you really want a pair. I occasionally order stuff from Aerostich in Minnesota knowing well that I'll be paying over the odds by the time Import Duty and Tax are added. I've already hinted that members don't seem to have a problem endlessly buying Dr. Pulley and J.Costa stuff, and to be fair the leg wind deflectors are only two pieces of plastic. The Givi Airflow AF 214 is also just two pieces of plastic and no one has a problem with the price. The wind deflectors compliment the Airflow shield's comfort factor, with no more cold draughts on your lower legs, and dry boots in the rain.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 5:31 am

I wonder if they're talking to eachother.

Doubtful - mine cost €143.20 with no post or packing two years ago here in Belgium (at current exchange rates) so £105.00 seems very reasonable to me.

Last edited by MikeO on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Should have been Euros, not Pounds.)
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Meldrew,
You actually stated the reason for me - "the leg wind deflectors are only two pieces of plastic". It just galls me to spend that much money on 2 pieces of plastic even though they are extremely useful and look great on the bike. The biggest factor is how much Honda charges for them, and the fact that they don't offer a popular accessory like this in the US so that I wouldn't need to pay shipping/duty/tax. In any case, I am only speaking for myself. I'm sure that many others have different opinions and I have no problem at all with that. Thanks for your perspective.
Craig
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way (the atmosphere's a bit hot at the moment) but the fact that you can't get the deflectors in the States is small beer compared with the huge range of goodies you can.

Most of it isn't available over here so we all have to have it shipped over at not inconsiderable expense ....... and the import duty!!!!!!!!!

My Utopia backrest was almost twice the price after P&P and duty were added.

I am sorry you can't get the deflecters there but it is only one item after all.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:31 pm

craigory wrote:
Hi Meldrew,
You actually stated the reason for me - "the leg wind deflectors are only two pieces of plastic". It just galls me to spend that much money on 2 pieces of plastic even though they are extremely useful and look great on the bike. The biggest factor is how much Honda charges for them, and the fact that they don't offer a popular accessory like this in the US so that I wouldn't need to pay shipping/duty/tax. In any case, I am only speaking for myself. I'm sure that many others have different opinions and I have no problem at all with that. Thanks for your perspective.
Craig
+1
While I agree with Meldrew that a person should be ready to pay big bucks for something they really want, we must also remember that some of us mortals do not have the same amount of disposable income, particularly the younger ones in the group. If a cheap, effective alternative method is brainstormed by someone, then by all means lets consider it in all seriousness. I also think there are many of us out there who wouldn't pay for the kind of mods Meldrew mentions, we just don't advertise that fact (that'd be like saying we're broke) the way those that can pay would discuss it.
Mike O, you are right. However, this country of ours has an attitude of general dislike for maxi-scooters, which is why Honda doesn't bother importing the S-Wing 400. I guess both Europe and North America can envy the amount of goodies readily available for the bike in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 2:55 pm

As any maxi rider will tell you, they're not exactly crazy on them here in the UK, and that's why Honda UK doesn't import the SW 600-T to us either, yet it's available in most of Europe.

I don't have a solution to the leg extensions problem, but for years now I've occasionally ordered 3' or 4' lengths of screen edging from SAENG in the US. It came through the post in a Jiffy Bag, in pretty much the same way my sat nav mount from Dennis did, with about $5 postage. Recently I ordered online and they wanted $49 postage to send 3' of rubber strip to me Shocked

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Meldrew wrote:
As any maxi rider will tell you, they're not exactly crazy on them here in the UK

Ain't that the truth.

We're the two wheeled equivalent of the black death over here!! Twisted Evil What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Bill, thank you for taking my remarks in the spirit in which they were meant.
O for a perfect world! Smile
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Guys. In order:
>> MikeO: I didn't realize that things were even worse over there. I'll stop whining now.
>> LVScooterBill: You nailed a big part of my reason for being upset. I don't have the kind of disposable income which would make this just an annoyance. However, that probably goes for many other silent forum members, so I'm not going to whine about that either. Before anyone takes offense, I'm not at all resentful that some members have more money available. In fact, I benefit from that. I get to learn about all of the after-market items available and which ones might really be worth the huge bite out of my budget. Thanks to all on this one!
>> Meldrew and Waspie: I'm sorry to hear that attitudes aren't any better over there. Yet another area where I assumed and was completely wrong.
>> MikeO: Amen.

All, I hope I haven't caused offense to anybody. That was the last thing I would want to do. I'm not judging anyone about anything - just sharing my own perspective. The passion behind some of the posts tells me how naive I was about many things. Please forgive me.

Craig
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm

craigory wrote:

>> Meldrew and Waspie: I'm sorry to hear that attitudes aren't any better over there. Yet another area where I assumed and was completely wrong.

Craig

Craig, life is always greener on the other side!!!!! Until you see it for your self and then opinions are modified.

As for assumption.

In the good old Royal Navy, (a life time ago,) we had a saying;

"Assumption the mother of all fcuk ups." Wink

My local Honda outlet, sells more scooters than 'mens' bikes but we scooter riders are looked down on. Such is life, there loss I reckon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah! we've all been watching too much ''Real Housewives of New York''. The Hamptons may be a posh part of New York, but 'Hampton' translates to something else over in London.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Ok, you've got my curiosity up. What does "Hampton" mean? If it's off color you don't need to tell me. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:40 pm

''Hampton'' or ''Hampton Wick'' is Cockney rhyming slang for... yes it's off colour! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Looked it up in Urban Dictionary. Got it.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 pm

I also have the ebay/homemade wind deflectors. They work well, and I chiefly use them for the cool weather. They also keep pants legs drier in the rain.

For mounting, if you lift the rubber mat in the footwell (start top/front) you will find there are nubs molded into the mat that you press into holes in the body of the scoot. The wind deflectors are affixed to the nubs of the floor mat. For the upper portion of the deflector, I cut some strips of Velcro and used contact cement to glue them to the black plastic near the parking brake (and the equivalent area on the other side).

So, when not in use, you can see the Velcro if you are sitting on the ground. Otherwise, its not very noticeable. Considering the other mods I've done (particularly the running lights and the backrest), it does not degrade the look of the scooter at all.
Back to top Go down
WingBabe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
WingBabe

PostSubject: Love the leg extenstions   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 am

I pm'd craigory about buying the leg extensions from Chiswick Honda.

I was very pleased with Chiswick Honda. They charged me less than I had posted previously -- 85gbp for the deflectors, & 20gbp shipping. A great deal, & they shipped promptly. Only drawback was I had to pay my credit union $40 for the international wire transfer.

Still, it was a good deal. I had an auto detailing shop install the deflectors. Another $40, but it's been really cold & my shop isn't heated. My experience with double sided tape is that if it's cold, even the hair dryer method doesn't do a very good job. Also, the detailers had their own adhesive that works better than the double sided tape included with the deflectors.

I'm amazed at how much extra wind protection I get from the leg deflectors. Very nice. Worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 am

I'm pleased you like your leg deflectors, they do keep cold draughts away from your lower legs and there's no problem getting your feet down when you stop. Maybe your recommendation will be enough to get a few more members to order from the UK. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 pm

craigory wrote:
Thanks Somerled. I already found that one and, unfortunately, they have the same price as everybody else. 105 GBP seems to be the pricepoint that the UK dealers all have. Hmmm, I wonder if they're talking to eachother.

Bit late getting into this but regards the UK pricing. All the Honda outlets in the UK have their prices regulated by Honda UK so individual outlets will be singing from the same hymn sheet.

Not an addition I have considered I must admit, I prefer to wear a decent quality pair of leggings, works for me.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 pm

I may be imagining it, but besides protecting your legs the leg extensions also seem to help the bike cut through the wind better. On my way to Tempe I'm usually riding into the teeth of the wind and having the extensions really seems to help and that was before I changed from a GIVI 214DT to a medium Clearview with vent windshield. Now all the more so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda Leg Extensions too expensive   Honda Leg Extensions too expensive I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Leg Extensions too expensive
Page 1 of 1