Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

what type of oil is used in the silverwing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

what type of oil is used in the silverwing Empty
PostSubject: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 am

Good morning,
I drive a Goldwing and my friend has a Silverwing. We got chatting about oil the other night and I was wondering if the recommended oil for the Silverwing was the same as the Goldwing, the Honda Oil ? My bike has a wet clutch and is very particular as to what type of oils can be used because of that.
So what is the story on oil for the Silverwing??
Thanks,
Greener
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 am

Greetings!

Honda are bound to say use Honda oil - people here use whatever they feel is best.

In average climates 10/40-50 four-stroke car oil is fine and I'd select fully-synthetic if I did my own oil changes.

Motorcycle oil is not necessary.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 am

Indeed I listen to bigbird but definitely one can use equivilent other brands.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 2:11 pm

I use mobil 1 10-40 but wouldn't have issues with non-synthetic. I just prefer the extended oil change intervals. I buy the 5 quart jugs at Walmart and get 2 changes out of it.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 pm

I put Mobil 1 10-40 non energy conserving in mine, and i have a complaining (floating) valve train when i rape the throttle now, so im going back to the 4t Mobil 1 synth and see what happens. Or, i could keep my wrist out of the throttle all the time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NAAAAAHHH ! ! !
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 am

Tagg what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:18 am

Based on lots of real miles in recent years--all bikes, WalMart 10-40 house brand , cheap and works for those in N America----I have used it for around 500,000 miles on various bikes--Works great----Some samples:

I had 4 Helix, all went at least 36,000 miles each, two were traded at 50,000

Reflex---Run over @ 22,000

SilverWing=no trouble

Kawasaki Concours---traded @ 56,000 miles

Suzuki GS500E-64,000 in 15 months.

I am aware of Japan MA and MB requirements

Two Honda CB750 Nighthawks----each traded @ 50,000 miles they were run hard, one pulled camping trailer to Alaska and back.

I continue to use WalMart oil in my new Honda NT700V.

Now, even though I ride a lot, I change oil every 2,000 miles and filter (WalMart) every other change-----I do not believe in long change intervals, based on the junk I drain out at only 2,000miles.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil is used in the silverwing   what type of oil is used in the silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what type of oil is used in the silverwing
Page 1 of 1