Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear tire failure

Go down 
+8
toolboxjesse
Waspie
steveR
john grinsel
AAAA
bigbird
Lab Rat
GaryL
12 posters
AuthorMessage
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I was all set for a nice Sunday morning ride up in the high country where it is nice and cool. On the way north, I usually get fuel in Globe, AZ before getting into the hills. I slowed down to near walking speed as I was making a left turn into the gas station, waiting for oncoming traffice to pass. As I was slowly rolling, I felt a slight 'thump...thump...thump...' through the seat. As I pulled into the station, I did not feel it. When I pulled up at the pump, I decided I'd better take a look, so I put the scoot on the center stand, went around to the rear, and started rolling the tire. To my great astonishment, I saw a chunk of rubber missing from the center right of the tire, about 2 x 3 inches long.

Rear tire failure Img_1710

The tire was (is) fully inflated, so it was not damage due to underflation. I can only assume that it was from the many rides in the AZ heat that had sowly weakened the tire to this point of failure. I checked everything else very carefully, and made the decision to SLOWLY ride back home using all of the back roads, about 80 miles. I was actually more concerned about getting run over from behind, as the tire gave absolutely so sign of trouble, no vibration or anything, except when going very slowly. I got home without incident.

The tire is the original IRC with slightly less than 12,000 miles on it. I measured the tread depth, and it is still showing 6/32 of tread, which means that it is about half gone (assuming that it started with 11/32 which seems to be a typical new tire tread depth). I had checked it about two weeks ago and saw nothing wrong with it. I'll call my dealer tomorrow morning and see if IRC has any warranty for this sort of thing (Doubtful) and order a new tire.

Lesson learned from this... I'll give the tires a check before departing on any ride going forward, adding a new step to my pre-departure checklist.

Last edited by GaryL on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct spelling)
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad you spotted that before getting too far from home, and especially glad there was no catastrophic failure at high speed. Do you remember running over anything recently? I bet IRC would be interested to take a look at that tire. I suppose I'll wander out to the garage to doublecheck mine.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Lab Rat,

No, I cannot recall running over anything. Where possible, I weave around the potholes that exist, but the roads are pretty good where I ride, so there is not much of that. I'm just glad I caught it when I did. Monthly tire inspections are not enough...(what I was doing before). The front tire is original, too, with 4/32 of tread left. I'm debating on changing that as well. Question
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:17 pm

You have an amazing amount of tread left for 12k miles of wear.
That IRC tread compound must be very hard.
Luck was on your side today.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 pm

GaryL wrote:
I was all set for a nice Sunday morning ride up in the high country where it is nice and cool. On the way north, I usually get fuel in Globe, AZ before getting into the hills. I slowed down to near walking speed as I was making a left turn into the gas station, waiting for oncoming traffice to pass. As I was slowly rolling, I felt a slight 'thump...thump...thump...' through the seat. As I pulled into the station, I did not feel it. When I pulled up at the pump, I decided I'd better take a look, so I put the scoot on the center stand, went around to the rear, and started rolling the tire. To my great astonishment, I saw a chunk of rubber missing from the center right of the tire, about 2 x 3 inches long.

Rear tire failure Img_1710

The tire was (is) fully inflated, so it was not damage due to underflation. I can only assume that it was from the many rides in the AZ heat that had sowly weakened the tire to this point of failure. I checked everything else very carefully, and made the decision to SLOWLY ride back home using all of the back roads, about 80 miles. I was actually more concerned about getting run over from behind, as the tire gave absolutely so sign of trouble, no vibration or anything, except when going very slowly. I got home without incident.

The tire is the original IRC with slightly less than 12,000 miles on it. I measured the tread depth, and it is still showing 6/32 of tread, which means that it is about half gone (assuming that it started with 11/32 which seems to be a typical new tire tread depth). I had checked it about two weeks ago and saw nothing wrong with it. I'll call my dealer tomorrow morning and see if IRC has any warranty for this sort of thing (Doubtful) and order a new tire.

Lesson learned from this... I'll give the tires a check before departing on any ride going forward, adding a new step to my pre-departure checklist.

looks like you hit some of the famous apache whiskey bottle glass. I lived in Globe for a short time, most god awful place i ever lived.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 am

Having had at least 5 underway tire failures (and a couple of flats @ high speed) in the past 20 years. 4 Failures were Bridgestone (Helix and Reflex) one Dunlop (Bike). I watch tires carefully---trip morning full 360 degree rotation check for nail/thread separation, general condition.
Check pressure cold.

From looks of tire, you hit something----I hit metal in Germany on My Concours----didn't really know or felt much, think much---2 hr 100mph, two up trip home....found in Garage. Tire trashed, not tire failure. My hit

Real failure I have had, tires came apart or started to come apart, caught in time. Only Bridgestone on Helix (Fusion) in Japan actually flew apart/retained air in curve----real thrill!

As I long distance ride, I look at/kick tires at each stop.....maybe not 360 degrees each time---but still give them a check.

I had good luck with IRC as replacement tire---my OEM on SilverWing were Bridgestone and rear thread started to lift near end of tire life.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 am

Hi John.
Again, all very good advice.
There is still no better teacher than experience.
Hope you are doing well.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 5:52 pm

That is one seriously buggered tyre!! Sad

The only time I have seen that sort of damage is on off road kit where the tyre has been ripped on rock or a piece of steel or similiar. A lucky escape... Well done!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 6:50 am

Thats worrying seeing the centre of the tyre ripped out like that.

I had a car tyre sidewall shred when I drove over some flint. But I have never seen a tyre so badly damaged as that one. A lucky escape there my friend.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm

I had 17k miles on the original IRC rear tires. The rear tire was completely bald in the center and the front had plenty of tread, but both had dry rot. I had a new set of Michelins in my car trunk, waiting for a rainy day to have the new tires swapped on. I figured i had a few days left and would be Ok with the rear tire until then. I was driving 60 on the highway and just pulled off at the entrance of my office. i drove over a rubber speed bump and heard a pop and that was the end of it. I found a hole as wide as my index finger in the rear tire. If it had happened 10 seconds before i would have been toast! I learned my lesson to never let the tires get that worn down.

jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
I had 17k miles on the original IRC rear tires. ........ I learned my lesson to never let the tires get that worn down.

jesse in Atlanta

Never a truer word, I throw out tyres or give them to lads for field bikes etc, but I never compromise on my rubber...
Back to top Go down
Elklander
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Elklander

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-06-10

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Rubber & Brakes my Friend , Rubber & Brakes !
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 12:12 am

I also have a tire failure you may be interested in. I rode a Honda Helix from the central lower peninsula of Michigan to the middle of Kentucky two summers ago and had rear tire failure. When I left for the trip my front tire was already down to the wear bar and I had people telling me I should replace it but I thought I could make the trip without problems. The rear tire wasn't in much better shape. Coming back from Kentucky I started to notice a wobble in the front end of the bike at low speeds. When I got it up to 55 MPH it ran just fine so I kept going. About half way back to Michigan the wobble was getting pretty bad. I figured the front tire was shot so I stopped at a repair shop (the Iron Pony in Columbus, OH) to get a front tire. They replaced the front tire and then asked me to come over to my bike before they took it off the bike stand. The mechanic called my attention to the rear tire and showed me a bulge about the size of my fist in the side wall. He told me I was damn lucky the tire did not blow out while I was traveling at 55 MPH. He also said the wobble I was feeling in the front, especially in the handle bars, was actually coming from the back of the bike, it was just being transferred to the front where I noticed it. So, I have learned to be very careful with tires. When mine get down to the wear bars on my SilverWing they are going to be replaced.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

Not for chuncks of tire falling off, but for small puntures I carry a can of flat tire fix and a hand pump. May not be the best, but it can get you home
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Question, about how much do two new tires for a Silver ring run a guy?

mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear tire failure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire failure   Rear tire failure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear tire failure
Page 1 of 1