Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stinky helmet

Go down 
+5
Waspie
GaryL
john grinsel
toolboxjesse
craigory
9 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I have an Arai helmet I used for several years, and then stored for about 3 years. Wrapped in a plastic bag. Not good. I now know that a helmet should be stored long term in something very breathable so that odors don't build up. Well, odors have definitely built up. affraid I love this helmet, but when I put it on the odor inside is anything but pleasant.

Is there any way to clean and deoderize it? Obviously the odors are coming from the padding. The top padding comes out, but the main side padding does not. Has anybody out there been successful at cleaning these pads in place while still inside the helmet? If so, how? I want to be sure to clean it with something that will not add it's own permanent odor (even a nice one), and also want to be sure that it will not cause a problem when it is held against my skin for hours at a time.

Any help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm

have you tried febreze or the less expensive ZEP (Home depot) version?

BTW you should really replace your helmet every 3 years or so as the styrofoam insert supposedly becomes less effective with age. Maybe pick up a cheap helmet on closeout (like from motorcyclegear.com or motorcyclesuperstore.com and that will solve multiple problems.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm

First advice----throw it away! Cheap DOT approved helmet will do trick in crash.
Helmets don't get better as they age

As I ride everyday....I go thru at least 2 helmets a year, I find right now Arthur Fulmer being very comfortable, fair price, easy to clean, etc.

CLEAN inside---windex works as good as anything for me to keep stink down. Just returned last nite from 2500 mile 6 day trip---wore same helmet all days. It got the windex treatment on the inside and pledge on the outside treatment while it was still wet with sweat,
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Craig,

I agree with the 'helmets don't improve with age' comment, but NOT the 'buy a cheap helmet' comment. Arai makes one of the best helmets around (look at all of the racers wearing them). If you are on a moped doing 30MPH, maybe a 'minimum requirement' helmet is OK, but if you are on the street riding at speed, get the best helmet you can afford. As to cleaning, there is a purpose made helmet cleaner that fits the bill, Helmet fresh cleaner and deoderizer. I have some at home that I use, and it works well. Available at Wing Stuff. Search for helmet cleaner.
http://wingstuff.com/search_list.php?searchval=helmet+cleaner
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 5:24 pm

Have a look on the Arai web site and see if there is any advice for cleaning your helmet.

My Arai, the inner is removable and therefor washable, if the liner can be removed. take the time to give the shell a clean with something like Hibitane, that will hygenically clean the inside.

Hope that helps.

Maybe next time invest in some moisture absorbing crystals from an electrical store. (I keep all mine from most electrical gizmo's I buy). Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 6:13 pm

I routinely wash my helmets (on the road and at home) . I just use hair shampoo. it removes all the grease and odor. Drip dry.
Works well and is always available at home and on the road.

maxB (who sweats a lot.)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I've been routinely wearing helmet liners since the early 90's. I usually wear a Silky Comfort Liner, or a HJC Coolmax Liner. Wearing one won't win you any style awards but all the perspiration, loose hairs and odour is absorbed by the liner, and your helmet will never smell like a gorillas armpit.

It's a lot easier to rinse out a helmet liner that prat about trying to the helmet inner liner out, wash it, dry it, and try and get it back into position inside the helmet.

Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:11 am

before you throw it away i would soak it in 10% bleach and 90% water
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:26 am

Craig, I have been selling cars & trucks for ever....lots of odors to get rid of. Try putting the helmet in a (open) paper bag in the garage with 2 Bounce dryer sheets inside the helmet for a few days. Should work wonders. Hope this helps. J.R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stinky helmet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stinky helmet   Stinky helmet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stinky helmet
Page 1 of 1