Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

For organized parts storage while working or swing

Go down 
+2
MaxB
Opalsboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

For organized parts storage while working or swing Empty
PostSubject: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 am

This is a little tip I learned while watching the Honda mechanic work on my scoot in Canton, GA last month. For you experienced do it yourselfers it will be a no new thing. But for me it was a wonderful eye opener. affraid

While disassembling the scoot use a muffin pan with the cup sections to hold the bolts or nuts or other small parts until you need to reassemble. He even separated them in order of the different stages.

I usually had just stacked the bolts in piles. Then used up the piles until all of them were gone. Smile

Now I have my own little muffin pan in my shop for the next project. Thanks Mike in Cycle Nation of Canton.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 am

That works great, until you kick it doing something. I moved on to ziploc baggies for each piece i take off. and put the bag with the piece.
They don't get kickewd around and lost as easily.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:42 am

I tend to use a sheet of cardboard. I then punch the bolts through the card or punch other items into the card to leave an impression. Something else I do, if possible all screws, bolts etc if they can be placed back in the component I remove I do that also.

Then panels and components are laid out in sequence to assist in replacement. Not always possible but I do try.

Regards the muffin tray, good idea, may be worth adding a magnet to attract the ferrous items.

An idea! Try small cups with plastic tops with a cut out so that items can be pushed in and not fall out if knocked!! Just a thought. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 pm

I do the 'sheet of cardboard' thing, too, as well as using egg-boxes for washers and bits.
We used cardboard when doing the racing engines - one could poke the pushrods through and number them to get them back in the correct order.

Variations on a theme - all good!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Agree Mike, whatever system you use, you most definitely need one.

I used to hate the "good old days" when;

"Anyone know where this bit fits?"

Re-strip and rebuild!!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Yes, and invariably there were a couple of bolts left over even after the re-rebuild. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Good discussion fellows... I knew some of you would be experts already. I have used the replace the bolt on the component before when possible. AND I have played kick the can, bottle, tray or what ever. I have never kicked the ziplock baggie Razz . I am becoming more organized and developing better habits in doing this scoot work. All of these ideas are better than the pile up all the bolts like I use to.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 am

Personally, when I turned a wrench on complicated stuff, I made an assembly card or two using masking tape to label and attach parts to a cardboard sheet. I also occasionally would use nail polish to make an alignment mark when required. That way, I don't end up with spare parts after.

Several kit aircraft I have seen come with parts on similar cardboard "cards." Why not learn from them. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
For organized parts storage while working or swing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 am

kbcmdba wrote:
I also occasionally would use nail polish to make an alignment mark when required.
Hey, that's the same story I used when the wife found the bright red nail polish under the car seat. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For organized parts storage while working or swing   For organized parts storage while working or swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For organized parts storage while working or swing
Page 1 of 1