Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch Noise Question

Go down 
+7
Daboo
honda_silver
Ishkatan
eddy
DennisB
cjuzda
acworthpatrick
11 posters
AuthorMessage
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Clutch Noise Question Empty
PostSubject: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 am

So just a curious question about the clutch noise my Silverwing has had the past 2000 miles. I know sitting in stop n go traffic will cause the clutch to get glazed and make noise when starting from a stop, but the one thing I am curious about is the fact that after 5 or so starts from 0mph my bike will stop making the noise until it sits again and I start it to go some place else. Does this still fit in the normal range for this issue? I guess those initial starts de-glaze the clutch. I have noticed the noise will come back in heavy stop n go traffic occasionally.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: I've noticed the same thing   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am

I've noticed exactly the same thing I think. I postd yesterday re a knocking sound at taking off I also noticed that the first time in the morning there is no noise, then after a few stop and go's it starts , then goes away again as you said. Mine only has 2000 km's on it. so I'm not sure if it's the glazing issue or not
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 9:41 am

It's not the clutch that is to blame...It's the belt. The best fix is to take the scooter on a nice long high speed run down the highway. When your belt squeels like that, it's complaining to you. It wants more speed and longer trips.
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:15 am

I was worried it was the belt, but I just changed it 2000 miles ago, and it looks perfect still. Is this noise actually hurting anything? I try to give it spirited starts when I can on the weekends, but during the week I am in heavy traffic so thats hard to do.

Is this hurting the belt? Should I plan on changing it sooner than 16k intervals?
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 am

I vote : The noise comes from the clutch.

Why i am thinking that?
1-, It 's no slapping noise.
2-, My old (former) belt looks like new.
No trails of slippery on the sides.

But i like a explanation from Honda itself.

Note:
My SW did the Turkey noise former summer.
Now it is gone.

Maybe the glasing goes away by giving more throttle when take off?

Eddy.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 am

I think I am just gonna check the belt again next oil change and not worry myself about it. I usually have my music loud enough I can't hear it anyway! :D
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Good Looking Bike   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm

So, I get told by a co-worker, "That is a good looking bike!"

Then I get on and as I pull out of the parking lot there is this loud squealing noise from the belt area.... Sheesh!

I've come to ignore it but I am sure that belt noise costs Honda sales.

Oh, I also hear noise from the area while riding at 30 mph. At that speed I am not sure if it is belt noise or gear noise, but the casing only gets warm, not burning hot, so I don't worry about it. I decided I was not going to burn the belt (rev the engine while braking) and will just ride until it breaks or past the 12,000 mile checkup.

BTW, the guy who sold me the SW in the USA and bought a Burgman in Europe tells me that the Burgman has a lifetime belt - no changes in the maintenance schedule.

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Ishkatan wrote:
BTW, the guy who sold me the SW in the USA and bought a Burgman in Europe tells me that the Burgman has a lifetime belt - no changes in the maintenance schedule.

I read in the BurgmanUSA forum that Suzuki's definition of Lifetime was 16,000 miles rolling laughter

There have been cases where the belt broke ... and Suzuki never covered the expensive cost of fixing.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Try increasing your rpms on the initial takeoff from a stop. That will allow your clutch pads to grab quicker and not glaze from slipping and overheating.

Chris
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 7:26 am

I think the Burgman 650 has a major draw-back.
A nice scooter if all is ok.
But the complexity is a concern.

I choosed for the SW because all most maintenance and repairs i can do myself.

Now i know i don't need the power of a 600cc.
When i have to choose again...
SW400 , Yamaha400,Burg400 are candidats.

Eddy.

Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 pm

does anyone else have the constant whine from the gearbox?
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 am

I think i do.
Not when take off, but during driving at a constant speed, let s say 40 mph.
Under left i can hear a whine noise.

Like when you listen at the house phone.
It's a 440 hertz tone. ( 'LA' in music. ) Smile

Eddy
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 am

Tagg wrote:
does anyone else have the constant whine from the gearbox?

Only with the wife riding pillion!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:00 am

With all of them?
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:35 am

I just did some maintenance on my SWing this past weekend. I normally ride with full face helmet and earplugs, but because I wanted to listen to it, I wore a three-quarters open helmet with no earplugs. I did notice a sound from the left side, but I wouldn't describe it as a whine, but some might. It was more of a whirring sound combined with a slight amount of sound more like a muffeled vacum cleaner (Its really hard to describe). I attributed the whirring sound to the sound of the belt on the pullys, and the muffled vacume cleaner sound to the fan on the variator pulling cooling air into the belt case. It was most noticeable around 35 to 40mph. Faster than that the general wind noise tended to drown it out... Slower the sound was almost undetectable. It was not loud, but since I was intently listening to the bike in the first place, I noticed it. I considered it a normal sound of the bike, and dismissed it.
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I have the noise in my 02. I believe it to be gear whine from the rear. I have 42000 miles on her. Have flushed the rear and, changed the fluid- no difference. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'm not worrying about it!
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 pm

GaryL wrote:
I just did some maintenance on my SWing this past weekend. I normally ride with full face helmet and earplugs, but because I wanted to listen to it, I wore a three-quarters open helmet with no earplugs. I did notice a sound from the left side, but I wouldn't describe it as a whine, but some might. It was more of a whirring sound combined with a slight amount of sound more like a muffeled vacum cleaner (Its really hard to describe). I attributed the whirring sound to the sound of the belt on the pullys, and the muffled vacume cleaner sound to the fan on the variator pulling cooling air into the belt case. It was most noticeable around 35 to 40mph. Faster than that the general wind noise tended to drown it out... Slower the sound was almost undetectable. It was not loud, but since I was intently listening to the bike in the first place, I noticed it. I considered it a normal sound of the bike, and dismissed it.

If i had not changed the fluid my self, i would swear it had a dry gearcase. The whine increases in pitch as i accelerate, and disappears when i let off the throttle. When im cruising along, holding the throttle, it comes on and off as the bike is making the small power adjustments holding speed. Today, a guy walking down the street in front of me, turned to look back at me as i approached, so it must be pretty loud. I put it on the center stand and held different R.P.M.'s, and didnt have the whine, its only with a load on it that it does it, which, to me says worn out gears?
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Mine whines at any speed if I am off the throttle or giving it little throttle slowing down with engine braking - but its always done it and never gotten worse so I don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch Noise Question   Clutch Noise Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch Noise Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: