Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hard acceleration stuttering :-(

Go down 
+7
JeffR
GaryL
redeye
exavid
honda_silver
alejom
Coops666
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Coops666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-24

Hard acceleration stuttering :-( Empty
PostSubject: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi all, a couple of days ago I noticed something is not too well with my machine. It starts fine, runs up to 40 fine, and if I gently accelerate all is fine. But if I try to accelerate quickly (twist the throttle like I mean it!), especially if I'm going over 50mph, the engine will sputter. If I back off and accelerate gently all is fine and I can build up speed to 80+. It was fine with this until a couple of days ago.

I gave the bike a major service about 1,000 miles ago - oil+filter, air filter, plugs, final drive oil etc - and it was running sweet as a nut. Now this happens. I have good technical knowledge (and a workshop manual!) but before I lose another weekend in the garage dismantling anything & everything is there something obvious? If not, what order of attack would the wise ones here suggest?
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm

It may sound too obvious, but what if you got a tankful of dirty gasoline? that and the quality of the fuel seem to impact my machine a lot.
I had to stop filling up a a couple local stations because their fuel made my engine knock a lot.

Does anyone know how to check the fuel filter?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 4:32 pm

I would suggest a fuel additive to clean the fuel injectors and engine.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Two things I'd try first would be a Sea Foam treatment and sparkplugs. Bad plugs often tend to cause problems with rapid throttle operation. Sea Foam fuel system cleaner is one miracle in a can I've had good luck with. I use it as a preventive once or twice a year in my car, truck, Goldwing and Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:04 pm

In addition to something like a defective plug, check the plug wire connection. On my Yamaha, I had a similar problem to the one you have described. The wire was in contact with the spark plug but not securely in place for a good connection. The scoot would run fine under light acceleration, but would sputter and stall under hard acceleration or with a pillion. After firmly connecting the wire to the plug, the engine ran fine in all conditions and has done so ever since.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 7:23 pm

I would also check the TYPE of spark plug. If they were some other 'compatible' brand selected off a conversion chart, this could happen after 1000 miles, especially under hard acceleration. I know... I did this many moons ago and have used factory plugs ever since.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 12:39 am

I agree with checking the plugs and the connections too. Also, maybe a fuel or fuel system problem..i.e. fuel filter, bad gas etc. It seems that is the general comments here. I'm sure it is something very simple though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Coops666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I've checked the plugs (NGK CR8EHIX-9) and both have a dusting of soot, so I would guess the plugs haven't been firing properly. I could troubleshoot this on a carburetted system but FI is trickier. There are no errors showing up from the FI system when I turn the ignition on.

I've tried fuel from different petrol stations bit that made no difference so I don't think it is bad fuel.

I'm changing the plugs (they are gapped correctly), and checking that I've got the leads fully home on the plugs and see what happens. Feel free to add some more suggestions since I don't have much faith that this is going away with new plugs (I'm a glass half empty kind of guy!)
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

whats the milage of your bike
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 4:09 pm

My book calls for plug number CR8EH-9. Are UK plugs different, or are these platinum plugs or something?
Back to top Go down
Coops666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:48 am

bigbird wrote:
I believe he's running the Iridium plugs.
Yes they are.

Today with new plugs, no stuttering at all. I will check the coils & leads over the weekend, and I'll see if the problem creeps back (and check the plugs every couple of days to see how they are doing - maybe the carbon build up is a gradual thing)
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Is anyone else running Iridium plugs, and if so, are you experiencing any problems like Coops666 is having?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 1:07 am

GaryL wrote:
Is anyone else running Iridium plugs, and if so, are you experiencing any problems like Coops666 is having?

I have been running the same Iridium plugs for ~42,000 miles with no problems.
Back to top Go down
derek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 11:53 am

The spark is actually not wasted, it fires on the exhaust stroke for improved emissions.
When both spark plugs appear to be covered in a black "soot" this indicates 2 possible problems. The first being spark plugs that are eithe faulty or the wrong heat range for the engine. Or secondly the the fuel or supply is the problem. Could be bad fuel or the injector is sticking open slightly. As Big Bird said you should always start with the basics first.

Last edited by derek on Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
derek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

There is always unburned fuel on the exhaust stroke. The air introduced to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke is to cool the cylinder down to reduce emissions.There fore the spark on the exhaust stroke, helps burn excess fuel.
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Hard acceleration stuttering   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Could the soot on the spark plugs be from a bad fuel presser regulator or a vacuum leak
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Wingmann,

Your right. The fuel pressure regulator could be the problem. The diaphragm inside the housing, will from time to time, develop a small hole and gas will get sucked in to the vacuum lines causing the mixture to be to rich with fuel. I have seen/heard of this happening on other Silverwing scooters.
Back to top Go down
derek
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Big bird, I am not going to argue with you, 31 years as a Master Automotive Technician, I know what the purpose of a spark on the exhaust stoke is. Maybe a motorcycle engine has a different method of handling emissions, but in a Modern internal combustion automotive engine that is basic theory!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard acceleration stuttering :-(   Hard acceleration stuttering :-( I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard acceleration stuttering :-(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: