Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack

Go down 
+18
jdeereanton
Fiddler
MikeO
CathyN
MarkB
toolboxjesse
larryinseattle
c12dat
thomphoto
mooredportside
lestat15
randybuck
Lab Rat
dspevack
honda_silver
DennisB
wayneliz
oli18
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oli18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Empty
PostSubject: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:17 am

Hi,

As the title says...i'm interested to buy a rack for side mounted panniers.

I saw Randy's great setup in his gallery here and just wondered if anyone is able to build and sell a setup for the Swing?

Many thanks in advance.

Oliver
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Dennis ?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Wayne,

At this point and time in my life, I just wish I could. I no longer own a Silverwing. I have built welding setup fixtures for all my other products but doing anything new is just not going to happen till I get a new scooter. Someday... if I'm good.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:34 pm

DennisB wrote:
At this point and time in my life, I just wish I could. I no longer own a Silverwing. I have built welding setup fixtures for all my other products but doing anything new is just not going to happen till I get a new scooter.

Dennis would it help if someone with a SilverWing came to your house so you could measure and prototype??

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Bill,

That sure would help!! Would also need the required side hard bags to get the mounting location just right.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:32 am

DennisB wrote:
That sure would help!! Would also need the required side hard bags to get the mounting location just right.

Dennis

Take a look at the link above for the pictures ... It looks like the right side is really a top box. If that is correct than any top box ... even a Givi E52 would work.

Does it look the same to you??
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:51 am

This is very similar to the setup that GIVI has for the DN-01.
Those are very nice racks.

Dennis, Maybe if you ask, Randy will give you the blueprints to his setup.
This way you will have exactly what you need to make a great set.

Silverwing people have been looking for hard saddlebag mounts for years.

Dan
Back to top Go down
oli18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

Hi again,

I'm really glad this is where the conversation has headed as i guess the only way for us in the SWing community (without any welding skills) to get our hands on a set of these, is if someone with Dennis and Randy like talents is willing to produce these.

I'm quite happy to pay a premium for this given its 'bespokeness' and it sounds like there is a reasonable demand for this...

dspevack wrote:
Dennis, Maybe if you ask, Randy will give you the blueprints to his setup.
This way you will have exactly what you need to make a great set.

That does sound like a great idea, assuming that Randy is willing to share his designs. A pint waiting here from London if you do Randy! Wink

Dennis, if you do decide to start building these, know that you've got 1 order already waiting from London! Smile

Just wish i could drive my bike over so you could use it to work the designs from.

Oli
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 11:30 am

Dennis can use mine for a test mule. Just let me know when you're ready, Dennis.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks Rich for the offer, I just don't have the money for the hard cases or material right now. Someday maybe.
Back to top Go down
randybuck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Guys I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can. Just let me know what I can do to help.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:53 pm

DennisB wrote:
Thanks Rich for the offer, I just don't have the money for the hard cases or material right now.

Dennis,

In the pictures it basically looks like a square SR-19 mount with mounting hardware.

If it would help ... I was thinking this morning that if I ordered an SR-19 mount and an E55 case that I would have shipped to your house.

I have been thinking of getting an E55 case, since the amount of gear I have to bring for the passenger ... books, backpack and now football gear is exceeding the E52.

Back to top Go down
oli18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks Randy,

Could we just check...was yours the givi PL528 for the V-Strom that you modified as can be seen below?

Did you need any futher adapters/mounts/plates for these to accept your cases?

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack 1.0.1.varc_pl528

Thanks again,

Oli
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:45 pm

If I was actually in the market for side cases, I'd be willing to foot the price of R&D. But alas, I'm not at this time. Besides, I'd probably get Pelican cases, which wouldn't really help anybody else in this situation.

However, the offer still stands. If somebody does get the materials to Dennis, I can get my SWing down there to him for fabrication and fitment.
Back to top Go down
randybuck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 7:07 am

Yes I made them out of the PL528. I hade to fabricate a small adapter plate for the left side to attach the bracket to. You'll need to do some bending cutting and welding to make these work, but the good thing is you have enough material to make it work with the exception of the small mounting plate on the the left side.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:18 am

randybuck wrote:
Yes I made them out of the PL528.

Dennis,

Would it help to have the PL528??
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Dennis- you will get another Silverwing- it's not an issue of "if you are good". You do what you can to help people here and that will come back to you. Your knowledge and skill are appreciated by anyone who has anything to do with you. I, for one, know the value of dedication and skill, and really do see those qualities in you. We need people with skills such as yours and hopefully we members of this board can work together to allow them to flourish. Maybe we can all do some "crowd sourcing" and see some more innovative accessories come from your shop.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
lestat15
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 5:05 am

Well if anyone is interested in this i can do it i just have to wait till my silver wing gets on island where all my tools are at. My only question is would people just want the brackets to mount what they want to mount or would they want custom Saddles also ???

I ask because i was going to do this to my reflex that i already have here but since finding a SW in the states for a decent price i am bring on out here and i plan on setting it up before i come back to the states !! Yes side saddles are on of the things i want . But to do that kinda fab work i would have to see a real interest in it for me to do more than just one for myself.

Also how much would people be willing to pay for it is the next question. With and with out the side saddles... Oh and if i was doing side saddles they will be hard cases !!

I know this is my first post so do not rip in to me to hard .. have been doing fab work for almost 10 years now !! And the SW looks to be my next project.

Oh and the only downfall to me making it is i live on an island called guam so shipping might get pricey !!
Back to top Go down
mooredportside
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I make SW side racks on a limited basis. There is not much of a demand so I only make them when ordered. Usually I build them from industrial grade stainless steel, so they are not glitzy, but, they are rugged. A proven design, my racks have carried; side cases, duffle bags, tents, tires,
and lawn chairs with no problem. With that said, a duffle bag over the rear seat is a better way to go, as side luggage increases your wind resistance greatly, not to mention your width. If riding two up, then you have no choice on a long trip. If you are serious, I will send pictures and a price.
Kurt
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Kurt,
Definitely post pictures. It stimulates interest.
Back to top Go down
mooredportside
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I can't figure out how to post pictures
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:24 am

mooredportside wrote:
I can't figure out how to post pictures
Welcome to the club.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:31 am

Hello mooredportside,

If you need a few pictures posted, send them to me and I will post them for you.

dennis.berney@gmail.com
Back to top Go down
c12dat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-11

PostSubject: Photos of Kurt's rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Greetings to All,

Here are some photos of Kurt's stainless steel racks mounted on my 04 SW.

I had to drill 2 holes to mount the aft support. It is a very tight fit. Great workmanship.

v/r
Dat Nguyen
Attachments
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr1.jpg
Holes drilled for aft support bolts
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(139 Kb) Downloaded 203 times
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr2.jpg
Aft part of side rack installed.
(126 Kb) Downloaded 190 times
Back to top Go down
c12dat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Photos of Kurt's rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 pm

More photos
Attachments
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr4.jpg
Photo of rack prior to instalation on the SW
(192 Kb) Downloaded 182 times
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr5.jpg
Photo of forward right mount
(167 Kb) Downloaded 150 times
Back to top Go down
c12dat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Photos of Kurt's rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 pm

More photos
Attachments
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr6.jpg
Photo of forward left mount
(123 Kb) Downloaded 137 times
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr7.jpg
Side rack installed left side
(169 Kb) Downloaded 158 times
Back to top Go down
c12dat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Photos of Kurt's rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 pm

More photos
Attachments
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr8.jpg
Aft and right side view of rack
(165 Kb) Downloaded 146 times
Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Attachmentr9.jpg
Close up view of forward right mount
(114 Kb) Downloaded 140 times
Back to top Go down
c12dat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Photos of Kurt's rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Last photo.

Thanks again Kurt.

Dat
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 am

mooredportside wrote:
I make SW side racks on a limited basis. There is not much of a demand so I only make them when ordered. Usually I build them from industrial grade stainless steel, so they are not glitzy, but, they are rugged. A proven design, my racks have carried; side cases, duffle bags, tents, tires,
and lawn chairs with no problem. With that said, a duffle bag over the rear seat is a better way to go, as side luggage increases your wind resistance greatly, not to mention your width. If riding two up, then you have no choice on a long trip. If you are serious, I will send pictures and a price.
Kurt

How much is a set of these?
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 7:25 am

Super cool. I got to learn to weld.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 am

Kurt, thanks for the pics (and thanks, Dat, for posting them).

I'm definitely interested. I've been looking for months for side mounts - for hard bags and also some crash protection.

How much are you awaking for them?
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm

I took a closer look at mooredportside's design and I think there will be a problem for those of us with GIVI topcases. Namely, we won't be able to remove the side covers to do any upgrades/maintenance without first removing the topcase mount and then the sidecase mounts.

If I recall Randybuck's design, the mounts seem to be an inch our two further out, so he can probably remove the side covers directly. Is this right, Randybuck?
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I went on the twistedthrottle.com site and they had some side mounts that work with the Givi Monokey side cases for the Silverwing.

I would post the link but I'm not sure how.

They do not list a price. I think they must have to get them from Germany because the instructions are in German.

I emailed them for some info. They look pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:05 am

CathyN wrote:
I went on the twistedthrottle.com site and they had some side mounts that work with the Givi Monokey side cases for the Silverwing.

I would post the link but I'm not sure how.

Was this the link??

www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7210/286

If you copy the link and then paste the link ( no additional steps are required) the forum software will display it as a link.

For the picture you click "Image" button above and paste the image URL then click OK.

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack 18014-425x350
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 am

As I said elswhere, the Fehlings racks are listed for the Silverwing SWT 400/600, not the FJS, etc.

http://fehling.de/index.php?content=preise&markenid=6&lang=de

It would be necessary to find out if they can be modified to fit or if the fittings are the same.

Somehow I doubt it.

If you Google for the site instead of following my link, you can translate the page.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:43 pm

Since CathyN found it on TwistedThrottle (where I bought half of my upgrades), I just sent them an email asking if they could modify it for the FSC600. I also offered them the loan of my bike, since I live about an hour away from them (in Boston). I'll let you know what they say.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:51 pm

MikeO, thanks for the link to Fehling. It looks like they have crashbars for the FJS (FSC) which I've been hanckering for. Does Fehling have a US distributer other that TwistedThrottle? (TT isn't offering the rollbars)
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank's Bill.

I got an email back from TT they are waiting on pricing and delivery. They will contact me when they know something.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 am

Hello Mark. I've seen the Fehlings crash bars on a Silverwing and they look good.
I can't say whether there is a supplier in the States; when I wanted them for my X9 (in the UK) I ordered them direct from Fehlings.
Protect the sleeved joints with a dob of something - I used Vaseline - as they tend to rust a tiny bit.
Back to top Go down
Fiddler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:01 am

CathyN wrote:
Thank's Bill.

I got an email back from TT they are waiting on pricing and delivery. They will contact me when they know something.

I'd be very interested in what you find out.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 am

+1
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 pm

I took MikeO's suggestion and ordered a full set of crashbars directly from Fehling. (If you click on the American flag on the upper right of their webpage, it will take you to their main page - but everything is in English.)

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack Image3e6c2981ad4d

The only item shown here which you cannot order is the protection for the muffler. I emailed them about it and they simply replied that it is not being offered.

I did ask them whether the GIVI side mounts - shown in Honda_Silver's post above - can be mounted on the FSC600 and they said no, it will not fit the bike. I don't know how much trouble it would be to adjust them.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 am

The side rack mount shown attached to a SW-T is similar to an older mount from GIVI that was made for the FSC/FJS. This mount was only available for the RH (muffler/silencer) side of the bike as it picked up the hard point mount used by the muffler/silencer.

The Fehling rails are not a solution for mounting quick release bags or boxes on the Silverwing although they can be used as a (questionalble) hard point for bolting boxes to the bike, by bolting them directly onto the rails. I say questionable because there is no engineering data to back up the durability of them as load bearing structure. There was a member (Reinaldo) from the SF Bay area on the Yahoo Group who used them to mount hard GIVI boxes. I'm not certain that he was overly pleased with the result; even though it was functional, it was not aesthetically pleasing.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 am

I think apples and oranges are being compared. Fehling does make Guards for those who wish to turn scooter in "honda davidson"

HOWEVER-----they do make saddle bag mounts for the SilverWing! I would choose GIVI E-21 bags to do such an operation as they are top loading.

I recall added accessories, especially load bearing need to be entered into title and have one of two type of approval in Germany. Or? So German stuff usually won't fall off and kill somebody. Only bad thing I have heard= their chrome needs to be taken care of. Where/how to get, might take some work in US. If your partsman is as stupid as one I just dealt with in selling dealership for new scooter I bought----good luck. I wonder how mine knows way to bathroom or lunch room.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 am

Yes, please do not think I was comparing the two. Both items have appeared in this thread but each is designed for a different purpose and each is a unique product.

so in summary - two products:

1. - Rack Mounts - GIVI only manufacturer I am aware of. The rack shown earlier in this thread will accept any (as I understand it) GIVI monokey case. My preference, as John agrees, are those cases designed for the side with a top opening including the E21 and the E41.

2. - Fehling Rails - In my opinion they are primarily a cosmetic device. They may prevent a minor scrape, but most likely will just transfer the force (and resultant crack) to another spot in the plastic, probably the attachment point.

Additionally I was simply relaying the reality that someone had used the railings to mount a set of hard cases to the bike. I would not have done so as it is (in my opinion) a poor idea.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Look up Fehling.de and you will see mounts they make for saddle bags.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes John they do indeed make them. Thank you for the link, most helpful: http://www.fehling.de/index.php?content=preise&markenid=6&lang=eng

You can see that the rack used is like the one shown above (for SW-T) and prices are included on the page in Euro's.

Product: Side Case Holder for Givi/Kappa Cruiser Cases
Order No.: 7811 KH HO SWT 400/600
pair
Ero w/o tax: 130,55
Euro incl 19% tax: 155,35

The column for "pair" is not labeled, but they only show the RH side. So is a LH side also available as part of a pair?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 pm

The racks are sold as pair(paar) should fit US model SilverWing as there has been no plastic changes I know of.

Twisted Throttle probably can get them.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 3:29 pm

I agree with you on the fit issues John. But they only show it listed as available for the SW-T 400 600 model, not the FSC/FJS 400 600 models.

I have e-mailed them to find out if there is a LH side as I know how the RH would be mounted, but have some question about the LH side.

From my perspective the SW-T model is just a cosmetic change of the lights - front and rear as well as changes to the front cover and the rear sides. Nothing of substance, just pushing the colors around and adding flat black spaces to give the impression of a new bike.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I've seen quite a few scooters over in Germany fitted with Fehling chrome rails, mainly on the Honda Helix and older Burgmans and I just think why? scratch They're just chromed cosmetic junk to tart your scooter up in the same way that Gold Wing owners seem compelled to cover their bikes in useless chrome tat. It makes your scooter look dated, cheap, and it's just something that will rust as soon as they start salting the roads.

As for side rails for hard cases or panniers how much storage do you really need? You already have 55 litres under the seat, and usually another 45-55 litres with a top case. It's easy to supplement that with a tunnel bag, and a waterproof bag on the passenger seat. Throw a pair of soft saddlebags on when you are touring with a passenger, or be a bit more selective about the amount of stuff you pack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack   Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone building/selling side mounts/rack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: